Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hornady's 6mm ARC. Who's all in?

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks, I was seeing lots of 18" barrels but not many were stating the twist.
    I went with a 16" SPR profile (will be running a suppressor) 1/7 twist

Quote Originally Posted by Cdub_NW View Post
    I went with a 16" SPR profile (will be running a suppressor) 1/7 twist
    Who's the maker?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

So almost a year later and with a continuing component shortage, is there a general consensus on barrel length and twist rate yet?

Or maybe asked another way, are there barrel lengths and twist rates that serve only 1 purpose (say long range only) rather than being a sort of “general purpose” rifle I could grab for mid-range target work, light hunting (white tail or pigs) or just fun at the range with the grandkids?
    That's the beauty of 6mm. Load up an 87 grain Vmax and go varmint hunting, bump it up to a 105 class bullet and go after white tail, or something a little sleeker and shoot long range. All in a 1:7 or 1:8 twist.

Where it really shines, compared to 5.56, is in shorter barrels. You can lop off 4-6 inches and still have a carbine with serious energy.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 05-08-2022 at 08:23 PM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    That's the beauty of 6mm. Load up an 87 grain Vmax and go varmint hunting, bump it up to a 105 class bullet and go after white tail, or something a little sleeker and shoot long range. All in a 1:7 or 1:8 twist.

Where it really shines, compared to 5.56, is in shorter barrels. You can lop off 4-6 inches and still have a carbine with serious energy.
    Thanks! For my purposes 16”-18” is fine.

The self-imposed stumbling block I keep hitting with my ARC thought experiment is I really want an upper and bolt action in the same caliber. When I get to the bolt action part, I start asking myself “isn’t this really just a .243 for a small frame AR?”. Then I start down the “just build a couple of .243s and you won’t have to worry about building up a stash of brass” path.

Since the ARC and .243 use same bullets, I should probably settle on an ARC/.243 pairing and sharing components since it would be a stretch to assume both rifles would like the same recipe.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Thanks! For my purposes 16”-18” is fine.

The self-imposed stumbling block I keep hitting with my ARC thought experiment is I really want an upper and bolt action in the same caliber. When I get to the bolt action part, I start asking myself “isn’t this really just a .243 for a small frame AR?”. Then I start down the “just build a couple of .243s and you won’t have to worry about building up a stash of brass” path.

Since the ARC and .243 use same bullets, I should probably settle on an ARC/.243 pairing and sharing components since it would be a stretch to assume both rifles would like the same recipe.
    JMHO: yes, it is a .243 for a small-frame AR, when you look at the performance numbers. It makes sense if that’s what you want out of your AR. If you want it for deer hunting, a 6.8 or Grendel upper will probably do about the same performance out to 300 yards, which is well beyond where most deer are shot. If you want it for its other capabilities and deer, then just like a .243, it makes a lot of sense.

No wondering which bullets are capable of what and at what velocities and distances, since .243 and 6mm Remington have been using them for decades.

I will probably stick with my .243 and .270 bolt actions for most of my hunting, and my 6.8 upper when I want to use an AR.

243 is a good caliber but was designed around 1:9-1:10 twist barrels which limits you to 90 grain bullets. Nowadays, the manufacturers are shipping the 6 Creedmoor with the 1:8 twist to stabilize the 105/108 class bullets.

There are bolt actions currently available in 6ARC. 4 more inches of barrel should offer another 100 FPS.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...22in/p/1653420

243 is a good caliber but was designed around 1:9-1:10 twist barrels which limits you to 90 grain bullets. Nowadays, the manufacturers are shipping the 6 Creedmoor with the 1:8 twist to stabilize the 105/108 class bullets.

There are bolt actions currently available in 6ARC. 4 more inches of barrel should offer another 100 FPS.

True, and a 6 Creed is high on my curiosity list. I should probably just buy the Savage 12 single shot action at my favorite pusher’s shop and start getting barrels spun up.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter

1:9 does just fine with 100-105 gr bullets. Most deer bullets are 95-100.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    1:9 does just fine with 100-105 gr bullets. Most deer bullets are 95-100.
    Yes, but hunting bullets are a little stubbier than the long, high BC long range bullets. You need RPM to stabilize them.

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Who's the maker?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    This one is a Ballistic Advantage. I would be fine with anything they put out, Faxon, Odin, Proof, Rainer Arms, Shilen... All would be good to go generally speaking for a 6arc. I am SURE there are others out there, those are just the makers I have sourced various AR barrels from and never had any issues.

User Tag List