Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hornady's 6mm ARC. Who's all in?

Quote Originally Posted by Cdub_NW View Post
    Faxon.
    I have a 16" from Faxon I bought through Aim Surplus some while back. Initial impressions are generally favorable although I have not done much with it yet.

I say generally favorable because it does seem fairly aggressively gased. Then again I don't have any other 6 ARC barrels to compare against.

I do like the profile and overall weight.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I have a 16" from Faxon I bought through Aim Surplus some while back. Initial impressions are generally favorable although I have not done much with it yet.

I say generally favorable because it does seem fairly aggressively gased. Then again I don't have any other 6 ARC barrels to compare against.

I do like the profile and overall weight.

I also threw on a superlative arms adjustable gas block. I had no experience with them but since this was not going to be a high volume rifle for me, I wanted to ability to tune the gas a more than usual. So far it has adjusted as expected but it is a part I will keep an eye on to ensure the build continues to function as intended.

I will probably pick up a fluted Wilson Combat barrel at some point to see what accuracy advantage it might have over the Faxon. But then again I haven't even hardly used my Faxon yet. It isn't like I've used if enough to have a strong opinion or be unhappy with it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Just to throw it out there, when I dipped my toe in the Faxon water, I received a defective barrel and a defective warranty replacement. Their CS was so overwhelmed that it took me posting here and LL shaking some trees for me so the CS guy's boss came into his office with an email asking "WTF?" for me to get a response the first round. After that, he was always helpful. Nice guy with a crappy job. I figure the sheer volume of complaints they get is a meaningful indicator.

I really like the Wilson Combat barrels I've seen. As nicely machined as you'd expect, and can be had for a decent price with some shopping.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have an 18" Faxon Gunner that shoots as good as my White Oak, both are 0.7 MOA. Then I bought a 14.5" Faxon Gunner and it is lucky to shoot 1.5 MOA. I need to spend a little more time with it but that's what you get with low cost barrels.

Palmetto's stainless barrels shoot really well. I've shot 4 of them and they were all sub MOA.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

I really like the Wilson Combat barrels I've seen. As nicely machined as you'd expect, and can be had for a decent price with some shopping.
    Wilson Combat had two barrels available with the initial rollout a few weeks ago. One a fluted lighter profile. The other more of a heavy target profile. The heavier profile appears to have been pulled from sale. Now only the fluted profile is on the WC site. And of course it is out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Just to throw it out there, when I dipped my toe in the Faxon water, I received a defective barrel and a defective warranty replacement. Their CS was so overwhelmed that it took me posting here and LL shaking some trees for me so the CS guy's boss came into his office with an email asking "WTF?" for me to get a response the first round. After that, he was always helpful. Nice guy with a crappy job. I figure the sheer volume of complaints they get is a meaningful indicator.

I had the same exact experience. I got a Faxon Big Gunner 20" barrel for an AR308. It shot desk calendar sized groups at 100 yards regardless of ammo and shooter. I tried the upper on a different lower and then tried a different upper. No change in accuracy. I called Faxon, spoke with the CS manager (a buddy of mine gave me his phone number when I never heard back from them), and they sent a replacement barrel, which was nearly as bad as the first one. The replacement barrel arrived around the time the Covid shutdown started and my shooting range was closed for months, so I didn't get to shoot the new barrel right away.

What attracted me to the Big Gunner barrel was its lightweight (for hunting), but I'm done with Faxon.

I recently replaced the Faxon barrel with a Wilson Combat Tactical Hunter 18" fluted barrel that's either 2 or 4 ounces heavier than the Faxon barrel. I haven't gotten out to shoot it yet, but I have a Wilson Combat Tactical Hunter 16" barrel in 6.8 SPC and it's the most accurate of all my ARs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the .308 barrel will be just as good.

Took my 16" Faxon out to 800 today on steel. 0/0 at 800. High winds and a lack of loaded ammo somewhat prohibited my performance.

200-500 is easy pickings on USPSA steel even with gusting winds. 600 probably 70/30. 700 was maybe 30/70. Definitely seeing a pretty good drop at 500+

Ammo was a Sierra 100 grain Game King loaded with 760. Chrono says about 2400 fps.

Load development is in order but I think the gun shows promise. Not bad for sticking some powder in a case and seating a hunting bullet on top!

One comment on the SGK. Being a traditional soft point bullet it does not like being in a magazine. Tips were mashed flat especially towards the bottom of the mag. Some type of protected soft point is the better choice if anyone plans to hunt with a 6 ARC AR.

Last edited by Tokarev; 05-17-2022 at 06:05 PM.

Bumping this thread up because of an advertisement email I received. It reminded me of how I was interested in 6MM ARC before, but was waiting for it to mature a little. I enjoy long distance shooting on steel when I can (not often,) and don’t have a truly long range cartridge in the safe - right now .308 is as good as it gets.

I actually put a LaRue complete upper in my cart but got to thinking I might do better with a bolt rifle - it will be low volume and I’d prefer not chasing brass. I plan on getting dies, too.

What are people seeing for decent quality bolt rifles and barreled actions? I’m not looking for a match gun, I’ll never shoot to that level. I’m not ruling out an AR upper, but I want to investigate a bit before I decide if I want to make the $$$ jump.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Bumping this thread up because of an advertisement email I received. It reminded me of how I was interested in 6MM ARC before, but was waiting for it to mature a little. I enjoy long distance shooting on steel when I can (not often,) and don’t have a truly long range cartridge in the safe - right now .308 is as good as it gets.

I actually put a LaRue complete upper in my cart but got to thinking I might do better with a bolt rifle - it will be low volume and I’d prefer not chasing brass. I plan on getting dies, too.

What are people seeing for decent quality bolt rifles and barreled actions? I’m not looking for a match gun, I’ll never shoot to that level. I’m not ruling out an AR upper, but I want to investigate a bit before I decide if I want to make the $$$ jump.
    Howa is offering their barreled mini bolt actions in 6mm ARC via Brownells for $489.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/...023_03_21_Howa

User Tag List