Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hornady's 6mm ARC. Who's all in?

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I have been playing around with some 112 Grain MatchBurners with so so results. The other day I found a single box of 108 grain Hornady bullets so I bought them.

Today with my first load, without any seating depth tests or any of that stuff I shot this on the first try. Outside edges measure .517". Center to center it's .27".

Since one MOA is 1.08" at 100 yards, this leaves me with exactly a .25 MOA 5 shot group. Not too bad I would say. Especially for how it went down. First load. At all.

I shot it off of a bipod and rear bag.

Attachment 77577

Attachment 77578
    Nice. What's the load?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Nice. What's the load?

Quite literally the first one I tried. 28.5 grains of CFE223 under a 108 grain Hornady seated as far out as possible but still fitting in the mag. I will tinker with trying to bump up the charge a bit, but damn if day one with those bullets didn't produce something to work with.

Are you able to measure the bullet jump to the lands?

The Barnes MB is a good bullet but could be more sensitive to jump compared to the Hornady due to the ogive design.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Are you able to measure the bullet jump to the lands?

The Barnes MB is a good bullet but could be more sensitive to jump compared to the Hornady due to the ogive design.
    I haven't measured the 'to the lands' yet but I guess I could. Honestly I've never used 'the lands' as a measuring point on almost any rifle I own. Aside from making sure I am not jammed into the lands in some situations.

I still have a couple hundred 112's left. So far though I haven't had a crazy amount of luck with those, at least not a 1/4 MOA. Sub MOA yeah, but nothing crazy. Keep in mind I haven't done a crazy amount of testing. My biggest problem now is a lack of brass. I have I think 120 pieces of brass total so it doesn't take a long time to have to stop and tumble, anneal, and start over.

Personally I kind of think those 112's have a totally different ogive that makes them a bit more wonky to work with with magazine length restrictions. So far I am not totally impressed but then again I am not done testing yet.

I haven't measured the 'to the lands' yet but I guess I could. Honestly I've never used 'the lands' as a measuring point on almost any rifle I own. Aside from making sure I am not jammed into the lands in some situations.

I still have a couple hundred 112's left. So far though I haven't had a crazy amount of luck with those, at least not a 1/4 MOA. Sub MOA yeah, but nothing crazy. Keep in mind I haven't done a crazy amount of testing. My biggest problem now is a lack of brass. I have I think 120 pieces of brass total so it doesn't take a long time to have to stop and tumble, anneal, and start over.

Personally I kind of think those 112's have a totally different ogive that makes them a bit more wonky to work with with magazine length restrictions. So far I am not totally impressed but then again I am not done testing yet.
    What load(s) have you tried with the 112?

You may know this, and I apologize in advance if you do, but you can resize Grendel brass to work. It just requires a slight shoulder bump and then a trim. Another option that requires a bit more work is converting 7.62x39 brass. It requires fire forming to remove the case taper.

Here's a thread discussing some case conversion options:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...-brass.885108/

Last edited by Tokarev; 09-25-2021 at 07:15 AM.

What load(s) have you tried with the 112?

You may know this, and I apologize in advance if you do, but you can resize Grendel brass to work. It just requires a slight shoulder bump and then a trim. Another option that requires a bit more work is converting 7.62x39 brass. It requires fire forming to remove the case taper.

Here's a thread discussing some case conversion options:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...-brass.885108/

I've been looking for some 6.5 Grendel brass (preferably Starline I guess) but that is OOS everywhere. I am not in a rush so I just get stuff as I see it available hopefully without paying double.

As far as the 112's go I've tried a few things. I will revisit them later on. I just got a micrometer stem for my Hornady seating die so that will make life a lot easier.

I want to try some Berger 109's as well. Normally I just buy a box of anything that interests me and work from there...but these days that's not an option.

Also I am trying to not run up a huge credit card bill buying stuff so I kind of just pick and choose what I get (and when). Most of the time for bigger purchases I try to discipline myself. I try to invest in the stock market so I tell myself that when I do something good I get a reward which usually includes a spending spree within whatever I set.

Anyway the cost of components, as well as the availability is insane (no news there) but when I see something I want I will put $$$ aside so I can just buy what I want. All of my other bullets/components have been built up over time that way. I will just buy in bulk a few times here or there and be done with it for a while.

I'm still rationing my shooting a bit too. I've never been one to go blast 1,000 rounds in an afternoon. I am more of a believer in quality over quantity. I have a 300 yard lane in my yard and of course pistol targets. Usually I just go out and shoot 2-3 mags or so a couple of times a week. It's pretty nice being able to do that at home. I would rather do two mags 2-3 times a week vs 1000 rounds a day once every 6 months. I think the repetition and cold shooting helps more than just shooting until you are exhausted.

It's not necessarily wonky. Certain ogives, which typically have a high BC, really like being close to the lands. The AR doesn't do well with some of these bullets because of the mag length restrictions. You can't get the OAL long enough to find the bullet's sweet spot.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I want to try some Berger 109's as well. Normally I just buy a box of anything that interests me and work from there...but these days that's not an option..
    Maybe keep an eye on Midsouth Shooters Supply. They often sell sample packs of just ten bullets.

Maybe keep an eye on Midsouth Shooters Supply. They often sell sample packs of just ten bullets.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...-pack-10-count

Geissele is bringing out rifles in that caliber.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List