Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3" Colt d-frame joy

my gen 2 DS 3"

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by fatdog; 06-09-2021 at 08:54 PM.

That's beautiful.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Out of a desire of edumication on the subject, and without having one of you kind gents take too much of your time to answer...

This forum (re) lit my passion for revolvers many years back. I have more or less put effort into the S&W and Rugers. Nothing on Colts. I always (for whatever the reason) viewed the Colts as more “delicate” and “prone to issues”. Reading a fair amount about them getting out of time and such has probably anchored that opinion. This post has me scratching my head a bit and looking at older Colts that are for sale at (compared to S&W) reasonable prices. They do have a certain sexiness about them. Even here though, the discussion on Colts is nothing compared to Rugers or Smiths.

So...with that said, are they that much of a trap for neophytes? Are they any more/less durable or “unsuitable” to pick up used and expect “S&W like durability”? Would a 1940s or 1950s era Colt be any more concern than a similar era Smith?

I know this is a lot to ask on a follow-on post, so feel free to maybe just nudge me in a direction to self-educate.

Thank you.
    @Dagga Boy wrote once that, back in the day, it was not uncommon in larger departments to find boxes of Colt revolvers that had gone out of time and needed repair. Supposedly, the hand on a Colt was a wear part; in effect, the guns were designed to go out of time and be repaired by installing a new hand.

Then there is the old saying that "the devil lives under the sideplate of a Colt revolver." Supposedly the lockwork on a Colt is about as complex as can be, with parts performing more than one function, so trying to fix one problem can induce other problems unless somebody really knows what they are doing. Fewer gunsmiths seem to work on them.

So, my guess is that an older Colt won't be as durable as a similar Smith. If you're buying one to have, maybe for a house gun or to go rambling with and to shoot from time to time, they're great. If you're going to run it hard in matches, maybe not so much.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

When the last Colt armorer retired from the FBI gun vault, all the Colt revolvers (BuGuns and privately owned) were no longer authorized for use. All repairs had to be done at the gun vault in Quantico.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thanks for the info all. Appreciate it.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    When the last Colt armorer retired from the FBI gun vault, all the Colt revolvers (BuGuns and privately owned) were no longer authorized for use. All repairs had to be done at the gun vault in Quantico.
    Sandy Garrett of Northern Virginia Gun Works in Lorton, Virginia is the last Colt factory trained armorer listed by the American Pistolsmith's Guild. He does all my Colt work and I've known him for over 50 years from when he was an Academy firearms instructor and armorer for our department.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    That’s really a sad thing to hear. Not just in the gun world, but in other areas of fine machinery from an era where the phrase “remove and replace” got you a look like you had a third eye in your forehead. I have a GE refrigerator I inherited from my folks when they passed. Made in 1947 according to the data plate. It’s never had a service call. EVER. It’s ran continuously (pretty much) from the day my grandparents got it.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Sometimes you want something bad enough you go have it built.
    I like 3-inch barrels and I wanted a sturdy, +P capable, six-shot .38 Special, so I had Sandy Garrett of NoVA Gun Works rebuild this old cop gun for me.

Attachment 72564
    I have a beater of a solid but well used and refinished 4" OP that I like the idea of something interesting with. I keep going back and for with just chopping it to three inches or making a proper Fitz out of it for an office gun.

Name:  IMG_2741.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  36.0 KB

Found two of these Colts in a store local to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post

Found two of these Colts in a store local to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's just plain sexy. I wouldn't even refinish it.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List