Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: ETA on Gen5 and slimline SCDs?

Site Supporter
    I think anyone could accidentally order a 42 plate for a 43, or the reverse. Of course the 43 wouldn’t fit on the 42.

It would just take a bit of inattention when ordering or installing it. That would be great if that was the issue!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    G42 on a 43, typo!

The frame notch should prevent it from sliding down when shooting, no? I just want to make sure that he’s running the proper plate on the proper model to exclude that possibly.

Attachment 78397

Just making sure it’s not this.

Attachment 78398

Again, not insinuating anyone would make that error but trying to eliminate other causes.

One time I problem solved a guy’s Glock online.

He had installed the spring cups backwards.

He swore he installed everything right but you don’t know what you don’t know sometimes. It’s not a personal insult to suggest ruling out basic things and only insecure people take disproportionately personal affront to that.
    That does not keep it from sliding down while shooting. What was described earlier in the thread is exactly what happened to me when I got a SCD “seated” with the expected click on a G19 but it would walk down after a few rounds and lock the gun out of battery. It was solved by pressing much harder than I thought would be required (and much harder than is required on my other G19) until I got a second “click.” Try pushing up on the two little wings on either side of the bottom of the SCD with a pencil or something hard to make sure force is being applied in the right place.

FWIW, I do not think the plunger has anything to do with it. I believe it is either the issue I described above or, if it isn’t that and it happens on multiple slides/slide internals, the cutout on the back of the SCD where the plastic sleeve engages must be out of spec.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    That does not keep it from sliding down while shooting. What was described earlier in the thread is exactly what happened to me when I got a SCD “seated” with the expected click on a G19 but it would walk down after a few rounds and lock the gun out of battery. It was solved by pressing much harder than I thought would be required (and much harder than is required on my other G19) until I got a second “click.” Try pushing up on the two little wings on either side of the bottom of the SCD with a pencil or something hard to make sure force is being applied in the right place.

FWIW, I do not think the plunger has anything to do with it. I believe it is either the issue I described above or, if it isn’t that and it happens on multiple slides/slide internals, the cutout on the back of the SCD where the plastic sleeve engages must be out of spec.
    Good feedback and very possible.

We are all just guessing without the extra information and visual from the OP.

Should be pretty apparent with a close visual inspection if there’s something wrong with the SCD cutout, especially if he has a good one to compare to.

We also don’t know if the top lip of his striker sleeve is cut or compromised (some people push there to depress it when sliding the back plate on, I usually push on the side with the back side of a punch).

A few pictures would clear it up but we are all just guessing until he confirms what those mating surfaces look like.

Which is the reason I asked to try scrubbing the SCD in case the back engagement surface is ramped instead of a clean wall due to debris.

We are all just guessing without more data. The plunger hypothesis only comes into play if the striker sleeve cutout on the SCD and the sleeve itself are within spec.
    Pointing at cardboard things.... CO GM, working on Open

Quote Originally Posted by 23JAZ View Post
    Well I swapped all slide components from her gun to mine and the SCD still slid down. I put her gun back together and tried the SCD on her slide and it slid down as well. Still waiting on the warranty email I sent to Tau weeks ago as well. Good news is I found my other SCD so I got that going for me, but it would be nice to know what is going on with the other one.
    So the OP seems pretty handy and assuming no mechanical damage to either of the guns’ small parts, then:

The SCD is either cut out of spec (if his other one works) or the wall of the mating surface is dirty / slippery.

A sharp cleaning pick run along the SCD groove might help.

If out of spec a careful sharp file to either the SCD ears / top / or mating groove can give back the clearance to mate them better.

The plunger hypothesis was only under the face value assumption that the OP actually tried clicking it in place and could not. And that there was no damage to the striker sleeve. And there wasn’t a gunked up primary mating surface.

And it’s assuming that return / repair of any Tau products won’t happen in the foreseeable future.

@TheNewbie

I think it has to be lack of bearing contact / pressure.

OP said that the plate clicked in when installed and can’t be slid out by hand.

I just tried installing the plate WITHOUT a plunger at all.

So just one mating surface. It clicks into place.

But with the jackhammer impact of releasing the striker, it seems like the forward motion could also cause the plastic sleeve to rock forward slightly… releasing pressure on the back plate and allowing it to slip shot by shot.

The only thing that would help keep it from slipping would be enough friction and pressure of the bearing on the back plate surface and only half of the little bearing surface is even doing that on the slimlines (as opposed to 7/8 on the full width). Mine has a pretty sharp divot carved in it from maybe 500 rounds since SCD install and no back plate removal in that time.
    This is what I am thinking is happening.
    But with the jackhammer impact of releasing the striker, it seems like the forward motion could also cause the plastic sleeve to rock forward slightly… releasing pressure on the back plate and allowing it to slip shot by shot.

Thank you for all the info guys! Everyone has been very helpful and I don’t feel given up on. Hopefully someday Tau will get whatever is going on sorted out and I’ll get answers.
    BLESSED IS HE WHO, IN THE FACE OF DANGER, FOCUSES ON HIS FRONT SIGHT.

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country
    Here’s a picture of a slim line SCD that was out of spec. I tried this on 3-48( 1 standard 2 MOS) 2-43x(1 standard 1 MOS) and 2-43 and it wouldn’t click in enough to stop from dropping down in a mag or two on any of them. I rednecked it until it fit and got the kinda double click that all my slimlines had then tossed it in my parts bin because I wouldn’t trust it with my life or my wife or daughters and replaced it with a new one. By the way if anyone wants it shoot me a pm.
    I went all in on the slimlines for 8 months or so but I found them to be less reliable then my ex-wife. Especially the 48 what a joke…
    Anyway I only posted this to show that an out of spec unit will exhibit the same issue the OP had. All told I put over 1000 rounds of 147gr HST thru 7 slimline guns all with SCD and this was the only one that ever showed a weakness( in the SCD anyway) Not sure if this helps or not but it is another data point.
    Name:  79454F9B-965F-4F8C-93B7-611903E898AA.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  29.8 KB

Edit: after reading my post I realized I made it sound like ALL the slimline let me down, that was over stated. I found the 43 built with a 43x mos to be very reliable with 200 rounds 147 HST thru 2 and another 400 rounds federal 147 training thru another without a hiccup. My daughters 43x was a decent gun. The 48, in my opinion and testing was never able to get thru a mag or two of HST without crapping itself in any of my 3 examples.

Sorry for the thread drift.
    Last edited by CHNEAL; 10-13-2021 at 06:42 PM.

Nice!

@CHNEAL

I love to see that. Some people just want to know and figure out problems. Redneck labs rock.

Roughing up that surface might have helped the bearing grip too.

I wonder if it is that the slimlines are particularly vulnerable to this.

@CHNEAL

I love to see that. Some people just want to know and figure out problems rather than take the easy way out. I wonder if the slimlines are more vulnerable to this than the full width. @blues
    Is there some reason you are tagging me? I have no way of knowing if slimlines are more vulnerable since I've never owned one.

My experience with those on Gen2 to Gen5 G19, 26, and 17 are without any known issues.

No need to summon me further on this matter. You seem to have a hard time saying goodbye for someone who kept harping on how others are behaving illogically.

Now, seriously, fuck off...and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

ETA:

I see you edited your post before I replied. You could have saved me the typing by leaving me out of your petty little drama to begin with.
    There's nothing civil about this war

@blues

I tagged you because it was an example that some people want to learn and understand failure modes and a “basement lab” isn’t as rare or preposterous as you think.

Also, even if you tell me to or want me to Fuck Off, I don’t actually have to listen to you nor you to me.

To a fault, I like to point out when people are objectively wrong. Most of the time it’s to help them educate themselves.

Sometimes it’s to help others understand how wrong an individual is.

Site Supporter
    I just want SCDs or news about SCDs.

Also, more Mexican food and diet soda.

User Tag List