Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Learning from all of this

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    The distance from the back of a theater to the floor/entrance area makes a pretty good case for long distance accuracy practice for those that say self defense never requires long shots...
    I agree. This is just one more real world example that puts the lie to those who mock the idea of training at 25+ yards (or 50+). Just one more reason to not be satisfied with 6" - 12" 25 yard groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post
    snip
    And you know what, yes, because of your movement, he may spot you and chose to engage you. And you very likely may catch a few rounds. Being shot is not a death sentence. It doesn't help you stay healthy, but it is not the end. MINDSET wins in a situation like this. I would speculate that someone with the mindset to COUNTER-ATTACK would not be neccesarily stopped unless they were physically impared (ie, loss of mobility, CNS hit, etc).

snip
    The question should be, what would you have done- period. DO SOMETHING.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    "Not just in Canada, but in the part of Canada where they speak French, a language with more words for "surrender" than the Eskimos have for "snow"."

ROFL... Great line Tamara!

More seriously though, what you and Jason are both saying is the same thing we've all heard expressed so often: Cultivate a "warrior" mindset, which stands in stark contrast to the mindset of many of the "sheeple's" (God, I hate that cheesy term, but it fits) actions.

"DO SOMETHING" Amen, Jason!

I'd like to hope I'd DO SOMETHING, even if that means taking action to evac, or simply shield others, barring the opportunity/ability to take a more aggressive course of action. At least that's the main reason why I'm training. Aren't we all pretty much doing that same thing?
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post
    THIS is exactly what has left me the most unsettled about what transpired last week.

I applaud the actions of the young man who helped the woman & her children after they were abandoned by their male dna donor. I applaud the three men who died protecting their loved ones. They died with honor and should be remembered thusly.

But what I can't wrestle down is how in a theater that theoretically should have been full, seating what- 250? 300? people NOT ONE person chose to engage. As I described to a friend the other day, "So he has on body armor & a mask (if you can even discern that in the dark)- assuming you could recognize that, why not just tackle the SoB?" Take his guns out of the equation momentarily - creating time for more folks to flee - and also drawing his attention to you... WHILST you are either pummeling the ever-loving shit out of him with your fists, or you've gone to blade skills, or perhaps used his moments of "what just happened?" to draw your own weapon and begin to dismantle the predator.

And you know what, yes, because of your movement, he may spot you and chose to engage you. And you very likely may catch a few rounds. Being shot is not a death sentence. It doesn't help you stay healthy, but it is not the end. MINDSET wins in a situation like this. I would speculate that someone with the mindset to COUNTER-ATTACK would not be neccesarily stopped unless they were physically impared (ie, loss of mobility, CNS hit, etc).

My wife asked me on Sunday - "But he had body armor! And 4 guns! What could you have done with your pistol!?" I would theorize that what I could have done with my pistol is the wrong question. The question should be, what would you have done- period. DO SOMETHING.
    I'm probably just living in a fantasy world, but if that theater had been filled with the type of men I grew up with in southeast Arkansas in the 1970s, there would have been at least 20 ro 30 guys on him, whether or not they were armed.
    It seems to me that a disconcerting number of American citizens believe that their personal safety is the responsibility of "The Authorities," and that those authorities can guarantee almost 100% safety. I'd almost argue that "gun control" is a secondary issue. If people believed and understood that their safety, and the safety of their loved one was their responsibility, there would be no gun control issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=137bWHaAA1o

Fantastic piece on NY gun laws, gun crime and NY being a 'market state'. It's written by AP in the San Francisco Chronicle.
    Hilarious! It's like watching a neanderthal trying to explain particle physics.
    http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/F...es-3746531.php
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    I'm probably just living in a fantasy world, but if that theater had been filled with the type of men I grew up with in southeast Arkansas in the 1970s, there would have been at least 20 ro 30 guys on him, whether or not they were armed.
    It seems to me that a disconcerting number of American citizens believe that their personal safety is the responsibility of "The Authorities," and that those authorities can guarantee almost 100% safety. I'd almost argue that "gun control" is a secondary issue. If people believed and understood that their safety, and the safety of their loved one was their responsibility, there would be no gun control issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=137bWHaAA1o
    I like the phrase "learned dependence."

So much of what I see as the Left's agenda in this country is designed to foster a culture of dependency. And that's precisely why I despise the Left so much.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List