Thread: Cz52 9mm magazines

Cz52 9mm magazines

So I was gifted a Cz52 with a 9mm conversion barrel, and after fixing the broken firing pin, and replacing most of the springs, I've come to the conclusion that it is a mechanical interesting piece of crap. It is oddest combination of cheap and high quality I have ever seen in one firearm.
    It ran okay for the limited number of rounds I fired, but is an awkard weapon to fire.
    So I decided to sell it, but the LGS would not take it without either a 7.62x25 barrel, or a 9mm coververted magazine.
    As I am not willing to spend the money on a new barrel assembly(if I could find one), I started looking for 9mm specific magazines... and am coming up completely dry.

From what I can tell, there are not, and never had been 9mm specific magazines for the Cz52 9mm conversion. Am I just not looking in the right places, or is this a snipe hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    So I was gifted a Cz52 with a 9mm conversion barrel, and after fixing the broken firing pin, and replacing most of the springs, I've come to the conclusion that it is a mechanical interesting piece of crap. It is oddest combination of cheap and high quality I have ever seen in one firearm.
    It ran okay for the limited number of rounds I fired, but is an awkard weapon to fire.
    So I decided to sell it, but the LGS would not take it without either a 7.62x25 barrel, or a 9mm coververted magazine.
    As I am not willing to spend the money on a new barrel assembly(if I could find one), I started looking for 9mm specific magazines... and am coming up completely dry.

From what I can tell, there are not, and never had been 9mm specific magazines for the Cz52 9mm conversion. Am I just not looking in the right places, or is this a snipe hunt?
    I had an irrational affection for those guns at a point in my life where you could buy a bunch of 7.62x25mm ammo for the price of a pizza. I also had a 9mm barrel, because, reasons, and I never remember there being 9mm magazines.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Unfortunately this does not answer the question on the original post, but any CZ 52 owner should be aware that a 7.62x25 barrel will chamber a 9mm round in the correct position to fire it, but the he bullet will obviously not pass down the barrel. Being sure of the barrel and ammo is critical.

Hopefully others will have the answer to the original question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I had an irrational affection for those guns at a point in my life where you could buy a bunch of 7.62x25mm ammo for the price of a pizza. I also had a 9mm barrel, because, reasons, and I never remember there being 9mm magazines.
    It definitely has a retro Buck Roger's look to it, but after detail stripping and the hell that was getting it back together, it lost any of its 'neat' factor.
    And I verified the barrel was 9mm, and it shot no problem(after new springs and firing pin anyway). And it fed well enough from the mags, just had to be sure to not ride the slide home or rounds would nosedive.

Does make me appreciate Glocks though.

The 9mm barrel I ordered for my briefly owned 52 noted that the stock mags would work for 9mm.
    And back in my days of diligently reading teh Shotgun News and similar, I saw ads for conversion barrels, but no specific 9mm mags.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Just sell it Gunbroker. You'll probably get more money for it anyway. People who are into these guns might actually be looking for one with the 9mm barrel--and be willing to pay a premium. Explain that there's only one kinda mag which works with either caliber... but my guess is CZ-52 fans will know that anyway.

But, yeah--the CZ-52 is cool. I've often considered grabbing one. I kinda see the Tokarev round as, like, a Warsaw Pact 10mm--and shooting it out of cool-looking roller-locked pistol would be awesome. I guess I've just never really wanted one enough to buy one.

I actually watched this really interesting video on the history/development of the CZ-52: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWG2zRr5SLc

It could have been much better gun; the Swiss even reviewed an early prototype before they adopted the P49 and, I guess, were blown away by the accuracy. The design was that good (apparently). But they pretty much ruined it when they crammed the Tokarev round into it--it was orginally designed for 9mm.

9mm barrels are hard to get. I’m glad I got mine.

But to answer the question, they used the same magazines. There is no converted magazines… at least none that I’ve ever seen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    9mm barrels are hard to get. I’m glad I got mine.

But to answer the question, they used the same magazines. There is no converted magazines… at least none that I’ve ever seen.
    The cartridge case heads are almost identical in size. There was never a reason to manufacture new magazines. I agree do gun broker or find another shop that understands old gats to sell it to.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    The cartridge case heads are almost identical in size. There was never a reason to manufacture new magazines. I agree do gun broker or find another shop that understands old gats to sell it to.
    It is the cartridge length that is the issue I think. 7.62 Tokarev is a lot longer than 9mm. Like I said, in my limited shooting of it, it cycled fine, and loaded from slide lock it fed fine, but rounds would nose dive if the slide wasn't moving with purpose. I doubt it would reliably feed hollowpints too. There is quite a bit of empty space in front of a 9mm round when it is loaded.

I've never done Gunbroker, and will likely just try another shop rather than mess with it.

User Tag List