Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed Criteria for Braces

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    There are reports of range masters checking SBR stamps historically.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comment...y_local_range/
    I would leave and never return to a range who asked to see my stamps. But, I don't go to staffed ranges so it really isn't a problem for me anyway.

I think it’s going to be buffer tube or SBR.

But hey, maybe someone will sell a shooting shirt with a reinforced armpit neoprene band sewn in... so that a buffer tube will still be pleasant to shoulder?
    Dugan Ashley was way ahead of his time in many ways. We were living in 2014 and he was living in 2021.

Name:  IMG_8325.jpg
Views: 3947
Size:  73.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

But hey, maybe someone will sell a shooting shirt with a reinforced armpit neoprene band sewn in... so that a buffer tube will still be pleasant to shoulder?
    In all this all-around sadness, this is awesome. We already have a junk carry pillow from the Mastermind, we now need a pistol buffer pillow. For tactical dudes, bilateral in case of around left side of a barricade..
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    In all this all-around sadness, this is awesome. We already have a junk carry pillow from the Mastermind, we now need a pistol buffer pillow. For tactical dudes, bilateral in case of around left side of a barricade..
    Phlster Smegma?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Name:  download (1).jpg
Views: 299
Size:  17.6 KB

Name:  51e3tdWUTJL._SY355_.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  15.2 KB

Don’t care…….. doesn’t affect me one bit. Do I have firearms that may be subject to such rules? I dunno. Get a warrant, and come find out.

And bring a big fucking lunch……. I’m not a woman, or a child; the only two demographics the ATF is capable of winning against.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m hoping enough people comment about this to have the ATF reconsider asking Congress to waive the NFA fees.
    Think about this for a minute. Do you really want this Congress and President rewriting any firearms laws? If this was 2017, this might be a valid solution. But then, we all know about the success of the Hearing Protection Act.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    How would such a thing be enforced, meaning by both penalty, and personnel?
    The same way the NFA is enforced now.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    At local ranges, I don't see anyone asking to see papers for NFA items. How would brace papers be any different?

Ambiguous, unenforceable, and massive non compliance, I predict.
    There'd be no "papers" for a braced firearm. To be legal, it would either be a braced pistol that meets the requirements in the proposed rule, and therefore not have any NFA registration requirement, or it would be an SBR. If it was an SBR, even someone who had disability that the arm brace was designed to help, would use a shoulder stock instead of an arm brace.

Quote Originally Posted by Giving Back View Post
    And bring a big fucking lunch……. I’m not a woman, or a child; the only two demographics the ATF is capable of winning against.
    Don't forget about dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Think about this for a minute. Do you really want this Congress and President rewriting any firearms laws? If this was 2017, this might be a valid solution. But then, we all know about the success of the Hearing Protection Act.
    They wouldn’t need to rewrite any existing law. It’s as simple as a bill signed into law that allows a grace period during which the fee for the tax stamp is waived for all Form 1 applications to create SBRs. Make the grace period a year or something and during that year don’t enforce the NFA for any braced pistols that fail the chart point system. Once the grace period is over, it’s back to business as usual and the NFA is enforced as written again until we can repeal that nonsense.

If they’re going to redefine braced pistols as SBRs after telling people for years that it was okay to buy them, assemble them, and even shoulder them, the least they can do is waive the tax when they force people to register them as NFA items.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Tbh, the only reason I ever went down the braced pistol route was to stay within the confines of WA's antiquated anti poaching laws that deem loaded long guns in vehicles illegal. I'm gonna form 1 two additional lowers and just roll around with a loaded mag in the cup holder. I'd never dream of riding dirty.

"They see me rollin'
    they hatin'
    patrollin' and tryna catch me ridin' dirty"
    Is that why WA has that law? For poaching? Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I’m predicting a run on 13.7” barrels and Warcomps.
    Or 8" flash hiders

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    Is that why WA has that law? For poaching? Stupid.
    Yes, dates back many years.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Again, just because something is a "workaround" doesn't mean that the government can prohibit it without statutory change.

Industry always attempts to adapt around the law. Sometimes it is very obvious. https://www.nbcnews.com/business/mar...-flna1c7100983

If the government wants to prohibit braces, they should amend the GCA and NFA.
    You have pointed out a problem with our government across the board from the EPA to the FAA to the FCC to the ATF, regulatory agencies are allowed to enact regulations that have the force of law - which is supposed to be the responsibility of the legislative branch, IIRC.

I don't see this as a 'first they came for the braces....' moment. SBR's are illegal, it apparently became too obvious for the ATF to pretend the vast majority of braces were anything but SBR work arounds, so they are making a course correction. Yes, it sucks, but see the paragraph above, it's the way things work. Maybe if fewer dumb asses had spread themselves all over social media shouldering braces the 'wink, wink' could have continued.

So as far as the braces go, I'm not going to get too wound up about it, nor do I feel it is an overwhelming attack on our liberties, we have bigger things to worry about at the present.

And, reference amending the GCA and the NFA, we should be careful what we wish for, things could be much, much, worse.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List