Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 145

Thread: Proposed Criteria for Braces

  1. #51
    Welp.... looks like I'm gonna be applying for 7 more stamps cause nothing I got left in pistol form is gonna stay under enough points to be a "pistol" still, guess it was fun while it lasted.... Figured this was coming, actually kinda surprised it took this long.
    "If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism." - Thomas Sowell
    "A Republic, if you can keep it" - Ben Franklin
    "Weapons are simply engines for manipulating energy..."- R. A. Heinlein

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Welp.... looks like I'm gonna be applying for 7 more stamps cause nothing I got left in pistol form is gonna stay under enough points to be a "pistol" still, guess it was fun while it lasted.... Figured this was coming, actually kinda surprised it took this long.
    Tbh, the only reason I ever went down the braced pistol route was to stay within the confines of WA's antiquated anti poaching laws that deem loaded long guns in vehicles illegal. I'm gonna form 1 two additional lowers and just roll around with a loaded mag in the cup holder. I'd never dream of riding dirty.

    "They see me rollin'
    they hatin'
    patrollin' and tryna catch me ridin' dirty"

  3. #53
    Lowly Production C-Class olstyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Stevie Wonder could see all this coming, as did all of us here.
    Yup. Between the fact that the current administration is VERY anti-gun and the fact that braces have always been a "haha this is TECHNICALLY not an SBR and gets around the regulations many places have against loaded long guns in vehicles" situation, I don't think this could have been any less surprising. People and companies understandably gamed the rules to their advantage, and just as understandably, those who want that to stop are taking their first opportunity to change the rules.

  4. #54
    Site Supporter Suvorov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Occupied Kalifornia - SF Bay Area.
    Do realistically - how long do I have to get to a free state so I can get a stamp for my naughty pistol (I mean SBR)?

  5. #55
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Southwest Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I haven't seen this much ambiguity since the last two times Foley fiddled with the Carry Optics rules.
    As much as the proposed rule pretends to be clear and objective, I find myself scratching my head at some of the conclusions they draw in determining the point system. Although they illustrate an example of a brace that has an acceptable number of points, I can easily see how an evaluator looking to reach a different conclusion could reach that different conclusion. The only things that are certain is that we need to 1) replace the brace with a simple buffer tube on anything we want to remain as a pistol, 2) register as an SBR anything we want to be able to shoulder and retain a short barrel (in which case we can add a real stock upon approval), or 3) put a 16" barrel on anything we want to shoulder but do not want to register (in which case we can add a real stock). The only ways to be certain involve assuming the brace will not be treated as a brace.

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Why if a product "get[s] around the law" is it the fault of the manufacturers and consumers?
    I think it was 'intent' to get around the law, rather than happenstance getting around the law by most manufacturers.

    Most of the consumers of the brace intended to subvert the law. The ones looking at the situation objectively are going 'shit, it was a nice run' the other folks not so much.
    Last edited by Dan Lehr; 06-08-2021 at 11:04 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

  7. #57
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    TX
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    3) put a 16" barrel on anything we want to shoulder but do not want to register (in which case we can add a real stock)
    It's probably easier and cheaper to just permanently attach a really long muzzle brake or flash hider.

  8. #58
    Gucci Gear, Walmart Skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    STL
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    It's probably easier and cheaper to just permanently attach a really long muzzle brake or flash hider.
    Im predicting a run on 13.7 barrels and Warcomps.

  9. #59
    Site Supporter psalms144.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    So, for someone who's too lazy to read through that whole shit sammich, what's the solution? Form 1 any pistols or sell them? Any idea on when this "ruling" is going to go into effect?

  10. #60
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    So, for someone who's too lazy to read through that whole shit sammich, what's the solution? Form 1 any pistols or sell them? Any idea on when this "ruling" is going to go into effect?
    Bill identified the three solutions in this post:

    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The only things that are certain is that we need to 1) replace the brace with a simple buffer tube on anything we want to remain as a pistol, 2) register as an SBR anything we want to be able to shoulder and retain a short barrel (in which case we can add a real stock upon approval), or 3) put a 16" barrel on anything we want to shoulder but do not want to register (in which case we can add a real stock). The only ways to be certain involve assuming the brace will not be treated as a brace.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •