Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Criteria for Braces

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    That isn't a realistic take on the last few decades. Everywhere outside the CAs and NYs is lookin pretty rosy compared to what it was back in `89.

If that's losing inch by inch then you have an impossible standard for winning.

Ignoring the CCW revolution of the 90s and the permitless revolution that's ongoing even the NFA has been effecitvely whittled away at by 2% inflation, the internet (eforms, how-to guides, kiosks) and no more CLEO permission, etc. What used to practically be a secret society is vastly more approachable. It's worth mentioning that it's gone from asking permission to a bureaucratic statement of intent.

No, it isn't perfect and no one's saying call it won and done. The brace situation is a reversion to the mean, not some sign that gun rights are doomed. There are absolutely more important things to focus on than how some bloody stock that's not a stock has turned into a slow motion trainwreck.
    Concealed carry permits and constitutional carry are all states rights issues and are being handled at the state level, largely by being able to vote in elected officials that will change those laws.

When did we get to vote on who gets hired by the ATF to make these kinds of regulations? Did you get to vote for/against Chipman? My ballots must have been lost in the mail. The brace ban is being done by a federal agency and affects everyone in all 50 states. We have an anti gun president who in his first 6 months in office is charging hard towards another AWB. Chipman is about to be head of the ATF, a guy who is an anti gun zealot who works for anti gun organizations. This isn't going to stop at braces and no matter how much you and others like to point the finger at gun owners for being at fault, it doesn't change the fact that they won't stop.

If you're okay with a govt agency telling 10-40 million gun owners that they're about to be felons overnight for a legally purchased piece of plastic, something they've allowed to be sold for more than 9 years, then you and I have very different ideas about what a govt agency should be permitted to do.

Can they do an AWB via reconciliation? If not, that will be tough to get through other than some sort of an EO.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Can they do an AWB via reconciliation? If not, that will be tough to get through other than some sort of an EO.
    No. Reconciliation can only be used for bills that concern the budget. Like you, I’m not too worried about an AWB happening unless we have a mass shooting so heinous that even Republicans will want to “do something.” Right now the Senate Democrats can’t even find the votes for a Universal Background Checks bill which is a much easier sell. They aren’t going to drum up the votes for an AWB unless something changes.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

You guys put more faith in Republicans than I do. Most are soft as baby shit and will fold.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    No. Reconciliation can only be used for bills that concern the budget. Like you, I’m not too worried about an AWB happening unless we have a mass shooting so heinous that even Republicans will want to “do something.” Right now the Senate Democrats can’t even find the votes for a Universal Background Checks bill which is a much easier sell. They aren’t going to drum up the votes for an AWB unless something changes.
    Supposedly that almost happened after Las Vegas until the bump ban was dangled in front of Trump. One can fantasize all kinds of attacks that would flip the Congress of both parties.

This is fucking stupid. Assholes.
    EMS, Rescue, Fire, fun stuff

Even if the brace passes all the sections without getting or exceeding a 4 rating, they're reserving the right to call it an illegal SBR anyways.

This isn't the clarity that gun owners and manufacturers have been asking for for a number of years so that they/we know what is legal or not. The CEO of SB Tactical was on Colion Noir's podcast yesterday and he outlined how the ATF lied to him over this stuff. It's a reverse engineered set of guidelines with the sole purpose of making braces illegal. All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    They wouldn’t need to rewrite any existing law. It’s as simple as a bill signed into law that allows a grace period during which the fee for the tax stamp is waived for all Form 1 applications to create SBRs. Make the grace period a year or something and during that year don’t enforce the NFA for any braced pistols that fail the chart point system. Once the grace period is over, it’s back to business as usual and the NFA is enforced as written again until we can repeal that nonsense.
    ??? Any new law that does anything to the NFA will be rewriting existing law. And assuming that they would be satisfied with "fixing" just this one problem and not making a bunch of other things worse is a risk that I would not be willing to take.

Seems like a multi step response is in order.

1) comment on problems with the proposed language.

2) look for Congressional support.

3) support advocacy groups.

4) try to make something that works with the proposed point system.

6) get some pistol buffer tube lowers.

7) SBR more lowers.

8) buy more 1301 shotguns.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

8) buy more 1301 shotguns.
    especially this

User Tag List