Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 64 And Looking For Fitness Advise

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    blues,thank you sir.What do you do for reps/sets?Do you/can you increase the weight in the sandbags?What do you do about progression as far as the kettlebells?
    I have PowerBlock dumbbells which adjust from 5 to 125 lbs each...and have had them since the mid 90's.

I have three sandbags...35 lbs for warm-ups and cardio, 60 lbs and 70 lbs for other movements.

I have five kettlebells: 35, 53, 71, 88 and 106 lbs. I can use them singly or occasionally will use two different weights together to make the body compensate for an uneven loading.

(I also have olympic weights, but I've been concentrating on "functional training" the past several months to do something different.)

As far as reps...instead of the 6-8 I'd focus on when lifting heavier with olympic weights, I concentrate on reps in the 6 - 12 range, with an occasional foray up to 15 for something like deadlifts.

The biggest problem with dumbbells can be getting heavy bells into place for a given movement, so if you go with a higher rep range you can avoid potential pitfalls or injury.

There are many theories on strength training, but there is ample science backing the progress that can be made with the ranges indicated. Plus, I'm no longer looking at setting personal bests...I'm just trying to stay strong and fit until I breathe my last.

Sandbags are adjustable, but not something you would do during the course of a workout. Better to have a couple that accommodate what you intend to do.

I generally do between 3 to 5 sets per body part...so on the press for example, I might do a couple of dumbbell press sets, followed by sandbag lumberjack press, and then kettlebell press.

You can have some fun with it. You don't have to do everything in a completely regimented fashion.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I've become a huge fan of the Starting Strength method. I don't know if you have Facebook, but the video is of Dale, who trains at the same gym I do. I'm watching lots of people who started out by lifting the empty bar put on a bunch of strength.

https://fb.watch/5_2Cv6zgO8/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    What's your testosterone level? You want it around 1000 IME.
    Can you shed some light on what your experience is that you are getting this number from?

You don’t list a unit of measurement but this sounds suspiciously like the 1000 ng/dL number that the TRT crowd often (incorrectly) bandies about. It is based on the hypothetical upper limit of an 18 year old male athlete who still has his elevated puberty levels and hasn’t settled into his functional adult levels typically.

The .gov health website numbers list a more realistic healthy adult male range of 350-750 ng/dL.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4255853/

As a reference point, when I was in my early to mid 30’s and at my leanest I was 5’10” and 170 lbs and hovered between 3.5-5% bf as tested by skin fold and BIA. My testosterone levels were in the mid to low 500’s (ng/dL), considered “normal” and capable of supporting 4 hours a day of hard competitive grappling training.

Although I don’t have a huge sample size, I do work in the nutrition and S&C industry and the only people I have seen with test levels in the 800-900 ng/dl range were the over 30 TRT crowd that attained those levels through injections or creams. Moreover, their docs considered 1000 ng/dL too high and looked to maintain the 800-900ng/dL as an upper limit.

I've never seen a natty guy over 750 ng/dl personally. Have you?
    Powered by Moderna

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Duces Tecum,thank you.I am very interested in doing whole body lifts with some accessory work.The details are what's confusing to me.I know what I'd like to do but don't know how to do a program around it.I hope someone will be able to help.
    @blues offered a splendid program, especially for an advanced exerciser. If you'd feel more comfortable with something to get you started, you might consider Pavel Tsatsouline's "Kettlebell: Simple and Sinister". There are two editions. The more recent Revised Edition is the better one.

The program explicitly tells the reader exactly what to do and when to do it. It's a beginner program, but not exclusively for beginners. It uses minimal equipment, just one or two kettlebells. And it benefits the body enormously.

https://smile.amazon.com/Kettlebell-...3087023&sr=8-1

Another good book for the basics of working out with dumbbells, sandbags, kettlebells is "Push, Pull, Swing" by Myatt Murphy.

It has descriptions and images of the various exercise movements, and also a number of workout suggestions at various levels.

Though I've read through a few of Pavel's books, I just can't get past his schtick...even if there is substance to some or much of his intended message, Comrade!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Yes, I've been injecting testosterone for about twelve years. I'm using 200ml/mg week, and seven days after injection I'm at 900ng/dl. I figure I'm at 1500 ng/dl at peak. And I feel GREAT. I've referred many friends to testosterone and they feel GREAT also.

It took me years to get this all set up. Doctors typically won't care if you're at say 400, they'll say you're in the "proper range" or some other BS. If so, you gotta find a new Doctor. A lot of Doctors are clueless/afraid of testosterone.

It's a very individual thing, how one person feels may not necessarily match how another feels at a certain level.

Yes, I have seen natural people over 750, a coworker tried to get a script for testosterone and his was over 900. He's a beast.

I know people who take more than me, and they are impressive in the weight room let me tell you.

The next thing I may look into is HGH. I dated a lady who took it, and she says it's a wonder drug. She was a weightlifter.

I don't know why you would put any stock into what .gov thinks after all the shit they screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    Can you shed some light on what your experience is that you are getting this number from?

You don’t list a unit of measurement but this sounds suspiciously like the 1000 ng/dL number that the TRT crowd often (incorrectly) bandies about. It is based on the hypothetical upper limit of an 18 year old male athlete who still has his elevated puberty levels and hasn’t settled into his functional adult levels typically.

The .gov health website numbers list a more realistic healthy adult male range of 350-750 ng/dL.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4255853/

As a reference point, when I was in my early to mid 30’s and at my leanest I was 5’10” and 170 lbs and hovered between 3.5-5% bf as tested by skin fold and BIA. My testosterone levels were in the mid to low 500’s (ng/dL), considered “normal” and capable of supporting 4 hours a day of hard competitive grappling training.

Although I don’t have a huge sample size, I do work in the nutrition and S&C industry and the only people I have seen with test levels in the 800-900 ng/dl range were the over 30 TRT crowd that attained those levels through injections or creams. Moreover, their docs considered 1000 ng/dL too high and looked to maintain the 800-900ng/dL as an upper limit.

I've never seen a natty guy over 750 ng/dl personally. Have you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post

I don't know why you would put any stock into what .gov thinks after all the shit they screw up.
    .gov isn't my sole source. But a reputable one for the sake of this discussion. (It's a pistol forum not a bodybuilding one). You can find that range listed pretty much at any top tier source on the subject.

I don't moralize on testosterone and HGH use. I would definitely consider them if/when my body's natural abilities to produce it were failing. At the current point of research I would not look to maintain my level that high. I would personally consider that a rather large long term health risk and a spike to 1500 ng/dL would freak me out. But everyone has a their own comfort level for risk and pushing the envelope in the fitness world.

However, there is a lot more to things than simply finding a doc willing to elevate your levels and "make you a beast" that would contribute to my advice to someone to start down that road.

Personally, IME, there is a distinct rift between the workout advice that should be given to natty athletes and ones on "extracurriculars". Combat sports are filled with guys on TRT looking to boost their levels to whatever they can get a doc to sign off on that "feel great" at those high levels. Not all have maintained that health long term.

At this point though we are likely to veer this thread into more of a chemistry thread if we continue down this road. My point to the OP remains that "NO, you do not need to be at 1000 ng/dL to make progress on a workout program. If you are within a healthy range there is plenty of great, safe, and healthy progress to be made with a basic lifting program and quality whole food nutrition without embarking on a personal chemistry program. And that telling a 64 year old man that he needs to be at 1000 ng/dL is incorrect and a bit ridiculous."