Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 64 And Looking For Fitness Advise

64 And Looking For Fitness Advise

Hi.I'm 64 and would like some advise on getting fitter.I'm 6' and about 160 lbs,I lost 20-30 lbs over the past months due to stress(divorce).I've been working out with dumbbells for the past 5 months,currently doing rows,triceps press alternating every other workout with overhead press curls 8X5 and pushups(to failure)s three days a week,squats 6x6 and running or sprinting three days a week on leg day.I'd like to do more.my diet is terrible,i don't eat enough,stress again.I'm trying to focus getting more protein and less carbs and fats.My testosterone is good.I'd like to gain more muscle which i understand is harder to do at 64.I'm fairly lean but still have some fat.I want to be healthy and live as long as possible.I do take vitamins.I'd prefer not joining a gym,as least yet.I'd like to incorporate other pieces of equipment than just dumbbells.thanks for the help as always.

Bro, it sounds like you're already doing more than 99% of people your age, or younger!

chart I keep at home, that I desperately need to start doing more of. that's my best suggestion.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

hufnagel,thank you.I can do more,I want to do more.Nutrition is a big issue with me,when I'm stressed,as I often am now,I don't eat.

What's your testosterone level? You want it around 1000 IME.

I agree you're doing more than the vast majority of people your age.

Are you talking with a counselor or therapist? I think if you started to work on the stress everything else might start falling in place.

Stress raises cortisol which lowers testosterone and raises bodyfat.

Dave,the urologist said my testosterone was high(I'll see if I can get a number).
    03RN,I've spoken to an attorney,once the divorce is over so will my stress.
    Thank you all again for the continuing help.

Smile

I'll turn 77 in mid-July, so my contribution to this thread may not be entirely appropriate for a younger man. Keep that in mind, please.

No longer do I worry about minutia, preferring instead to apply the Pareto Principle and it's 80%-is-good-enough approach. To that end I do, most days of the week, a kettlebell program consisting of a single upper body push, a single upper body pull, something for the legs, a bit of cardio and call it good.

The workout syllabus consists of:
    Pushes: Overhead press / horizontal press / dips / Get-up. Pick one.
    Pulls: Pullup / Row / High pull. Again, pick one.
    Legs: Squat / Lunge / Deadlift / Loaded Carry. Pick one
    Cardio: My body responds differently to long, slow aerobic work than it does to, say, the short and intense anaerobic stuff. That said, the treadmill bores me. I mostly do kettlebell swings or, occasionally, snatches.

Example workout:
    Overhead press / pullups or chins / loaded carry / KB swings

The details may not appeal to you, but I hope you consider the whole-body-large-lifts principle.

Duces Tecum,thank you.I am very interested in doing whole body lifts with some accessory work.The details are what's confusing to me.I know what I'd like to do but don't know how to do a program around it.I hope someone will be able to help.

@Duces Tecum and I have a very similar protocol...but I've broken it up a bit for my lazy 68 year old butt:

Following warm-up with sandbag and / or kettlebells:

Monday: Kettlebell, Sandbag, and Dumbbell Squats (standing on cinder blocks for added depth), - Bench Press with dumbbells - Bench Row with dumbbells

Tuesday: Cardio on Concept2 Rower...either steady state or intervals

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Sandbag shouldering, Kettlebell and Dumbbell Deadlifts (standing on cinder blocks for added depth) - Dumbbell Overhead Press, Sandbag Lumberjack Press, Single arm Kettlebell Press - Bent over heavy Kettlebell Rows

Friday: Repeat Tuesday with Concept2 Rower

Weekend: Off but for yard work and such.

When I get bored with the rower I substitute kettlebell swings alternated with a variety of sandbag exercises into a cardio routine that works the entire body.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

blues,thank you sir.What do you do for reps/sets?Do you/can you increase the weight in the sandbags?What do you do about progression as far as the kettlebells?

User Tag List