Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 64 And Looking For Fitness Advise

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Parf,thank you.I started watching Starting Strength videos and enjoy Mark Rippetoe.If I could combine Starting Strength with a program similar to blues and Duces Tecum,that would be ideal to me.It would seem to address basic strength and functional fitness.
    Rip is definitely a character. I spent a good year or two following his program to the best of my ability based upon the equipment I had on hand. I definitely made gains in strength and the poundage I was lifting. Eventually, I just needed a change, mentally and physically. Had I had a better setup to follow the plan, I might have continued with it.

I used to enjoy some of the give and take with him, he is an acquired taste, and if you find his methods appealing, I highly recommend "The Barbell Prescription" by Jonathon Sullivan, M.D. It is based on the Rippetoe methodology but adapted to masters class, senior trainers such as we are. It is a great book and I recommend it unreservedly. I've had numerous email / PM discussions with Sully and he is a gem.

That said, I don't think that the Rippetoe method and what I sketched out above are really a great fit. The Rippetoe methodology requires adherence to their principles and methods. (Sully does discuss the tools he recommends for the limited cardio called for under the Rippetoe training method, and the Concept2 is among the devices recommended, along with a handful handful of others.)

I think you'd really need to consider one style of training or the other to get the best results. Or, come up with your own hybrid...as I often do, but don't expect the same results. (You'll still be fit and stronger, however.) There are many roads to Dublin.
    Last edited by blues; 06-07-2021 at 02:56 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Double tap.

Damn time out. Maybe I need more bandwidth with two teens home from school for the summer.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-07-2021 at 03:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Another good book for the basics of working out with dumbbells, sandbags, kettlebells is "Push, Pull, Swing" by Myatt Murphy.

It has descriptions and images of the various exercise movements, and also a number of workout suggestions at various levels.

Though I've read through a few of Pavel's books, I just can't get past his schtick...even if there is substance to some or much of his intended message, Comrade!
    Not a kettlebell book, but I remember the furor caused when this was published. Wouldn't pay Dragon Door prices though. Kindle price was just right.

I got the book a couple of years ago and read it. I need to read it again, now that I think about it. I was very, very impressed with the tag team writing and training info. I also rolled my eyes at Pavel's theatrics, but this is a more grown up book. Everything I have read by him since then has been much more...mature.

Since his break from Dragon Door, he has changed his style. And, apparently, he and Dan Johns are now on the outs, but I have read them each praising each other since.

pat

Site Supporter
    Another book that Dragon Door hyped and I bought years after it published on Kindle.

Strong Medicine.

Written by a former military physician and a "name" powerlifting coach, I was blown away by the detail on aging mechanisms and how to reset some of them. I was so impressed I bought the wife a copy. She was so impressed she recommends it for her diabetic patients in her clinic who are active/interested/capable.

Very easy to read, very plain language. I have read this one 3-4 times, with a lot of referencing, and am very pleased with my purchases.

pat

Dan John is an industry in his own right. He comes out with books basically endorsing a variety of methods as the best way to achieve such and such at the time of his publishing it. He's likable and clearly someone who has excelled personally in the strength field, but I find the fact that he endorses so many different sides of training as the way, that he is actually saying that there are many legitimate ways to become stronger and fitter. And I agree with that.

Pavel has covered deadlifts as the way, kettlebells as the way, and pretty much buying his books as the way. He and Dan John are opposite sides of the same publishing mill coin. Likable, but, I dunno...it's like sitting in on a coffee klatsch. It puts me off a bit.

The Rippetoe / Sullivan books are much more informative and comprehensive, imho, and books like "Push, Pull, Swing" are much more approachable for someone who wants get the gist of what it's all about, get to training and open the door to more information as progress is made.

Just my two cents.

Site Supporter

The Rippetoe / Sullivan books
    I'll give them a look. I did enjoy Strong Medicine much, much more, despite its length. Also, the Amazon star ratings are fairly impressive.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I'll give them a look. I did enjoy Strong Medicine much, much more, despite its length. Also, the Amazon star ratings are fairly impressive.

pat
    Pat, I think you should have a look at the Sullivan book. I really think that you and your wife will both get something out of it. Just remember, that it is based in Rippetoe but modeled for those of us over 40. It really is excellent. Sully is also a very funny, witty guy.

A link to his videos, GreySteel. He has separate videos specifically related to "Starting Strength" on youtube as well.

Hammertime
    Pat, I think you should have a look at the Sullivan book. I really think that you and your wife will both get something out of it. Just remember, that it is based in Rippetoe but modeled for those of us over 40. It really is excellent. Sully is also a very funny, witty guy.

A link to his videos, GreySteel. He has separate videos specifically related to "Starting Strength" on youtube as well.
    I like Rippetoe and Sullivan, but their relative de emphasis on cardio is borderline malpractice, IMO. It's important, and one does not get decent cardio from lifting weights, even with HITS type sets. Or kettlebells for that matter.

I am not replying to you personally @blues, but rather to Sullivan and Rippetoe and their methodology, which otherwise is amazing at making you strong. I would add some sort of "chronic cardio" to the prescription is all.

Couple thoughts:

1) for someone having trouble maintaining or gaining weight, a low carb and low fat diet is counter productive. You need calorie-dense foods. e.g. fats and carbs. Calories are king at this stage. (I'm assuming there aren't any underlying health issues that don't jive with carbs or fats).

2) Rip is interesting and I admire his commitment to life-long strength. But his emphasis on big, heavy lifts is sub-optimal for a lot of athletes who are older and/or carrying a lot of orthopedic injuries. And his aversion to cardio has already been mentioned.

3. Divorce sucks. Try to be good to yourself, and spend time in supportive environments - whatever that means for you (with friends and family, in nature, around animals, etc. etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I like Rippetoe and Sullivan, but their relative de emphasis on cardio is borderline malpractice, IMO. It's important, and one does not get decent cardio from lifting weights, even with HITS type sets. Or kettlebells for that matter.

I am not replying to you personally @blues, but rather to Sullivan and Rippetoe and their methodology, which otherwise is amazing at making you strong. I would add some sort of "chronic cardio" to the prescription is all.
    No offense, taken, Doc. I completely agree with your analysis, @Doc_Glock

You'll notice that there are very few "svelte" denizens of the Rippetoe camp. LOL. I'm not planning on getting shredded, I like beer and snacks too much for that, but I also don't feel like looking like a bear preparing for hibernation.

Which is why I've modified and tuned my training toward the "functional training" side of the equation...with more of an emphasis on strength, endurance and cardio.

I do think that one can get a good cardio workout from kettlebells and sandbags if one creates a routine of moving from movement to movement with little to no rest over a sufficient period. That said, these days I'm getting it mostly from the Concept2 and using those other tools during my other training sessions.

At this point, it's all about building, maintaining and conserving for me. I'm not going to be 30 something "blues" anymore...but I'm still better than a lot of thirty something others. I have to be realistic about where I am, and where I will be heading.

I do routines that are sustainable for me...and that I can continue to look forward to doing into the nebulous future.

User Tag List