Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idle curiosity about Gold Dot story.

Idle curiosity about Gold Dot story.

I was talking with a guy on Saturday night and he mentioned the department was switching to Ranger non+p (unknown weight but I assume 124) because they could not get the Gold Dot 124 +p that is current issue. Said the range guys told him it was due to some factory fire that affected production of the Gold Dot. I assume this is just BS from the ATK rep or range guy, and it is just the ammo shortage we all know about, but was wondering if anyone else has heard this? A quick internet search turned up nothing for me.

Somewhat hoping it will be 147gr, but highly unlikely, as 124 is the current hotness (not that the 124+p Gold Dot has failed to perform, just a personal preference).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I was talking with a guy on Saturday night and he mentioned the department was switching to Ranger non+p (unknown weight but I assume 124) because they could not get the Gold Dot 124 +p that is current issue. Said the range guys told him it was due to some factory fire that affected production of the Gold Dot. I assume this is just BS from the ATK rep or range guy, and it is just the ammo shortage we all know about, but was wondering if anyone else has heard this? A quick internet search turned up nothing for me.

Somewhat hoping it will be 147gr, but highly unlikely, as 124 is the current hotness (not that the 124+p Gold Dot has failed to perform, just a personal preference).
    The fire story sounds like BS, but LE orders are being delayed by 6 months or more beyond normal delivery schedules due to demand. They might not be able to get GDHP in a reasonable time frame. 124+P GDHP is my agent duty load, if the tap was off we would have heard something.

Lots of BS flying around regarding ammo. Some guy on ARFCOM was claiming a major ammo maker had been shut down by a ransom ware attack but it’s unsubstantiated. I suspect he’s an ammo flipper trying to keep prices up.

Last week I got a couple cases of .40 S&W Gol Dot that I’d ordered in February. I didn’t expect it til fall.

I spoke to a distributor last week that sells Gold Dot and I was told all incoming ammunition was pre sold.
    Still taking orders just nothing in the warehouse for immediate delivery as in the past.
    Local PD is still getting Gold Dot it just takes a little longer than before.

Our "local" LE shop isn't even taking individual officer orders for ammunition of any caliber or make. They're still months and months behind on agency orders, and don't have any good news about that changing anytime soon.

We made an order in January and were told to expect it in 1-1.5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    By then you'll have been disarmed by AOC and her cohort so it won't make a bit of difference.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    As a civilian, I'm wondering how you weather that storm.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    As a civilian, I'm wondering how you weather that storm.
    Have a year or two worth of ammo on hand because these ammo droughts seem to happen every few years. Years ago I was chastised for over ordering ammo since my predecessor had operated on a "just in time" basis. Then sandy hook happened and the same manager tried to take credit for "smart planning."

Don't do all your training with duty ammo (as my agency used to)

Extend intervals for rotation of duty ammo

Find another acceptable duty load available sooner.

Less live fire training.

@HCM, good on you for having the foresight. Certainly not everyone would / could do that.

As someone who prefers Gold Dot, I could not fault Speer for temporarily suspending civilian sales. I would hope that agency demands would be fulfilled first.

Also curious about the rounds rotated out of service and failures associated with them. I'm sure someone has done failure testing and has data. Cheap insurance to rotate out old ammo.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List