Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idle curiosity about Gold Dot story.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    @HCM, good on you for having the foresight. Certainly not everyone would / could do that.

As someone who prefers Gold Dot, I could not fault Speer for temporarily suspending civilian sales. I would hope that agency demands would be fulfilled first.

Also curious about the rounds rotated out of service and failures associated with them. I'm sure someone has done failure testing and has data. Cheap insurance to rotate out old ammo.
    We normally shoot it off each quarter. The biggest issue we see is rounds repeatedly chambered.

For handguns emphasizing use of lock boxes and keeping guns loaded helps but there is always a certain attrition rate with rifles as they are only kept chambered when use is imminent.

We had a period of time several years ago where our contract with spear for Gold Dot lapsed. We bought a large quantity of Winchester ranger off an FBI DOJ contract however there were quality control issues with the ammo resulting in failures to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    As a civilian, I'm wondering how you weather that storm.
    We changed our spring training to qualify-only and a bunch of dry fire exercises in an attempt to conserve ammo. We may not have enough to qualify this fall. It depends on how many new agent classes we run, because those eat up a ton of ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Have a year or two worth of ammo on hand because these ammo droughts seem to happen every few years. Years ago I was chastised for over ordering ammo since my predecessor had operated on a "just in time" basis. Then sandy hook happened and the same manager tried to take credit for "smart planning."

Don't do all your training with duty ammo (as my agency used to)

Extend intervals for rotation of duty ammo

Find another acceptable duty load available sooner.

Less live fire training.
    HCM, if only. My agency won't allow me to order ANY ammunition until my office is 100% expended. Since we're STILL in a "no group training" mode due to COVID, I'm sitting on about 1,000 rounds of duty 9mm, and that's it. Can't order training ammo because of the "no group training" policy, can't shoot duty ammo in training because when it's gone, it's gone.

Sigh.

6 months, 22 days, and a wakeup...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Have a year or two worth of ammo on hand because these ammo droughts seem to happen every few years. Years ago I was chastised for over ordering ammo since my predecessor had operated on a "just in time" basis. Then sandy hook happened and the same manager tried to take credit for "smart planning."

Don't do all your training with duty ammo (as my agency used to)

Extend intervals for rotation of duty ammo

Find another acceptable duty load available sooner.

Less live fire training.
    This is why I have always gratefully appreciated your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    My agency won't allow me to order ANY ammunition until my office is 100% expended.
    Not saying anything you don't already know, but that is incredibly short sighted... ugh.

FWIW, Gold Dot of most any flavor/type/weight has been hard to come buy in 9mm, .38, or .357 on the "civilian" market... more so than Federal HST etc, at least from what I have seen. Even checking their website, and buying direct from Speer.

User Tag List