Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock Your Doors

Site Supporter
    Locked myself out of the house when I was a teenager. I was finishing chores and missed the neighborhood watch phone call to the house wondering if it was someone who just crawled through the window was supposed to be there. I was in a hurry to finish to get ready for a date.

The police officers were nice tough.

If you have guns stashed around your home for defense and you wear a gun at home but don't keep your doors locked, you are an idiot. My door is unlocked for about 45-90 seconds per day, just when I'm walking in and out of the place. I go out, I lock it behind me. I come home, I step through and lock it. I take my trash out to dumpster, I lock the door behind me. I keep a house key on a neck lanyard made of paracord (with a breakaway, natch) at all times. Only once in the last ten years have I locked myself out but the key on my neck is a good insurance policy against CRS.

I've kept my doors locked for my entire adult life. There's one instance where I'm pretty certain my good locks and sturdy doors saved me from having to shoot someone.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Site Supporter
    I pretty much live in the woods, 4th house from the end of a dead end dirt road, some days we might see as many ATV's or snow machine's as cars go by...
    Sure, there's a few guns here and there (out of sight), alarm system and if I have pants on, I'm armed but, if we go in or out, the door gets locked behind us.
    Sick shit happens, better safe than sorry.

I live at the end of a 300 yard long driveway, other than delivery drivers there are less than three vehicles here per year.

1) If I have pants on I have a gun (or two)
    2) If I’m off the property the doors are locked
    3) If it’s dark the doors are locked, most of the time during the day they are locked
    4) My indoor dogs will alert me to anyone (any deer, any bunny) near to the house. I found two US Marshals on my property one day looking for a subject with a warrant. Wearing plate armor, pistols and radios they were still a bit concerned that they had disturbed the Hounds of Hell.

The guy who left his door unlocked to go to the gym was being willfully stupid about how the world works and should be ashamed for life. But he’s probably still a gym rat who doesn’t care about any one except himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    The guy who left his door unlocked to go to the gym was being willfully stupid about how the world works and should be ashamed for life. But he’s probably still a gym rat who doesn’t care about any one except himself.
    Mistake, blunder, stupid decision...whatever, I'm fine with that. He'll have to carry that burden for the rest of his days.

How we get to he's probably someone who doesn't care about anyone except himself reminds me of the sorts of indictments and cancel culture we rail against here daily.

We're either better than that or we're the very same folks we excoriate for their assumptions, presumptions and virtue signaling.

(Nothing against you, @Rick R , I'm simply using this as an illustration of something I find a bit disturbing.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I feel terrible for the husband and his wife but I imagine it's someone he and most people do every day. Probably lived that way his whole life, lots of people do. I suppose 98.5% of the time nothing bad happens so it's kind of hard to call it criminal on his part. My next door neighbor never locks his door; one day I was talking about locks and he says he's not even sure where he put his keys!
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I feel terrible for the husband and his wife but I imagine it's someone he and most people do every day. Probably lived that way his whole life, lots of people do. I suppose 98.5% of the time nothing bad happens so it's kind of hard to call it criminal on his part. My next door neighbor never locks his door; one day I was talking about locks and he says he's not even sure where he put his keys!
    In 18 years I've never known the neighbors across the road to lock up their place. I've seen every sort of individual enter when they're not home (apparently with permission) from workmen to family and friends.

I don't get it, but I don't get them, so mind my business.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Mistake, blunder, stupid decision...whatever, I'm fine with that. He'll have to carry that burden for the rest of his days.

How we get to he's probably someone who doesn't care about anyone except himself reminds me of the sorts of indictments and cancel culture we rail against here daily.

We're either better than that or we're the very same folks we excoriate for their assumptions, presumptions and virtue signaling.

(Nothing against you, @Rick R , I'm simply using this as an illustration of something I find a bit disturbing.)

Excellent post brother.
    It displays the mindset and attitude of a man who would do "to ride the river with".

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    Excellent post brother.
    It displays the mindset and attitude of a man who would do "to ride the river with".
    I'd be proud to wear that honorific. Thank you, D.

Site Supporter
    When I was looking for a home in the country we made an appointment to take a look at a house. When we get there we notice that the front door is open. I call the realtor and tell him that the owners are still home cause the door is wide open. He says so what. Why would they lock the doors? He arrives a short time later, we go inside and nobody is home. He tells me "that's how we live in the country. We usually don't lock our doors". And they don't. They think I'm nuts because I always have a gun nearby and we DO lock our doors. As far as charging that guy that went to the gym and left his door unlocked with reckless endangerment, that's an extreme stretch and IMHO, wouldn't go anywhere.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 06-08-2021 at 10:01 PM.

User Tag List