Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lock Your Doors

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Yes, from a few days ago.

This has become a yearly spring ritual when a certain bear emerges from hibernation and remembers the sunflower seed my wife used to keep on the porch. No seed there this year, but I guess he decided to take a gander anyway. :-0
    Admit it: you’ll miss that hairy oaf when you move.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Admit it: you’ll miss that hairy oaf when you move.

I won't miss having to fix the door!

Here is a photo of the neighborhood bears in our back yard, taken in 2012 from the (at the time not) wrecked porch door;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    NH - I don't think you will be having bear problems where you are going to. Now, we have bears about 6 miles away but they rarely leave the wooded areas to visit where the houses are. The last one that was a problem in 2018 got himself shot by the law. Now we have lots of coyotes and small dogs and cats - oops! People still let their dog out at night.

I do have some slugs for my shotgun, some hardcast lead BBore for the handguns, if Smokey shows up but that's just fantasy. Plenty of other places that would be more interesting. The farms down the road have much good stuff to eat.

Folks consistently report car break-ins but say they didn't lock it up. Duh - then they posture about being lock and loaded. Tell them the law and they get all huffy-puffy.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    I hesitate to post this, but I think you have a better sense of humor than Joe in PNG:

Attachment 117364

Seriously, one of the things that we constantly hammered into our student officers regarding use-of-force - you can't act on supposition only facts.
    I know this kills it, but can someone enlighten me as to NSR and FILKSF in this instance?
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Site Supporter
    Fiercest critter at our house in TX:

Name:  spyder house.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  70.9 KB

Terror of our WNY area:

Name:  goose.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  76.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

Terror of our WNY area:

Name:  goose.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  76.4 KB
    The Canada geese need to stay in Canada.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    Why there are so many geese! https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...gement/629916/

When we left WNY in 1977, there weren't any geese around. When we returned, they are all over the place. I've told this story before in a thread about whether you should intervene.

There was a couple that would walk along the boundary of the field across from us everyday in the mornings. Never caused any trouble. Then one day another couple from our side, started challenging them, calling them out very loudly. Next, they charged across the boundary and attacked the other couple. What should I do?

Suggestions - called the police, use OC, blah, blah.

I said that I did nothing - why - they were GEESE!

They took the air and had a dog fight over the neighborhood. Now we have just one couple that struts around and swims in the local nearby pond. Da winna!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    IMO:

1) If the number of vehicles you own is the same or less than the number of parking spaces in your garage, yet you still park outside, you need to get rid of whatever's taking up all that space in your garage so you can park inside.
    2) If the number of vehicles you own is greater than the number of parking spaces in your garage, you should probably park your Corvette in the garage and park something less expensive outside.
    3) If your Corvette is your least expensive car, you should probably get a bigger garage.
    Agreed on all points. Funny thing on point number one, we've lived in our neighborhood for some time and one time we had a friend/neighbor stop by once and she commented, "I never know when y'all are home or gone because y'all actually keep your cars in the garage," and it's definitely true. I would say that, in a neighborhood that's got ~80 houses, there are 10% or fewer households that have their vehicles in the garages.

It seems like this area seems to have a correlation to what I saw in Florida, basements seem to be a rarity compared to where I grew up so everyone stores all their junk in the garage and leaves their $20,000-$80,000 vehicles in the driveway. That probably would have been fine when this was once a quiet, established neighborhood on the very edge of the city. Now that we'regoing to be completely surrounded by development and all the "fun" that comes with it very soon, that doesn't seem to be a prudent play anymore.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Why there are so many geese! https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...gement/629916/

When we left WNY in 1977, there weren't any geese around. When we returned, they are all over the place. I've told this story before in a thread about whether you should intervene.

There was a couple that would walk along the boundary of the field across from us everyday in the mornings. Never caused any trouble. Then one day another couple from our side, started challenging them, calling them out very loudly. Next, they charged across the boundary and attacked the other couple. What should I do?

Suggestions - called the police, use OC, blah, blah.

I said that I did nothing - why - they were GEESE!

They took the air and had a dog fight over the neighborhood. Now we have just one couple that struts around and swims in the local nearby pond. Da winna!

I’ve told this story several times, so I’ll keep it brief: A younger version of myself (paper route age) can absolutely vouch that a set of hard maple nunchaku will drop a marauding goose like a stone.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I have been all of those things within the space of a-minute-and-a-half. Is that bad?
    I don't think that is particularly abnormal.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List