Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock Your Doors

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I guess that's the point I was getting at. You still need to have a key on you or secreted somewhere.
    Not unless you only have one door. My locks are Schlage or Kwikset, and they have no smart features to hack. Four AA batteries, and you can tell when they need replacement because the bolt motor runs slower. I have an attached workshop that is only accessible from its own exterior door, and I keep a house key in the shop. I would have to have three independent locks fail at the same time to get locked out. Batteries last six months to a year.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

We are also somewhere over 15 yrs and 3 houses w/ the Schlage locks I posted above. Never had a failure and the 9V battery lasts > a year. Beyond the obvious advantage, the other is no more messing around dragging a key out of a pocket. This really works well now that our cars all run off of a fob so no need for a key there either. Way back when, the first time I got out of the car, grabbed groceries in both hands and got to the locked door, and was able to unlock it w/o setting the bags down I knew I had made the right choice. Then, when I had been working in the back yard 100ft from the house, came back to get in and realized I didn't have my keys (cars still used keys then and house key was on the same ring as the car keys which was in the house because I wasn't going to drive anywhere) all I did was walk around front to unlock w/ the keypad, I also knew I had made the right choice. Beat the heck out of getting a paint scraper and bending the blade to jimmy the back door open as I had done 6 months previously. I also bought another keypad lock for the back door the next week. BTW, you ever need someone to be able to get into your house when you are gone? We do to feed the cats. You can program multiple codes into the lock. So I ad a code for the cat feeder before we leave. When we get back I delete that code.

Maybe 20 or so years ago, when keyless vehicle FOBs were still an option but not a standard feature my freind's grandpa went car shopping. He was offered a FOB at $$$$. His reply was......do I still have to carry the bags to the car and load them myself?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I wonder how often electronic locks fail, requiring folks to break into their own homes.

(Sort of like the electronic safe misadventures which have been reported.)

I don't know the answer, which is why I posted this.
    I sell Schlage, Emtek and Baldwin lock sets. We see failures on both Emtek and Baldwin keypad sets. Not sure why, they are twice and three times the price, superior materials and assembly, but returns show issues with both.

Literally zero Schlage keypad returns in the limited time I've held this job. 3 years, so, limited sample.

Personally own two Home Despot, purchased in 2015, Schlage keypad latch units, 9volt battery powered. The batteries seem to last 3+ years before they start to blink when opened. Sure the leaver spindle is loose, rattles a bit after almost 9 years, but they open everytime.

We have the keypad set to always lock after entry and exit. Take out the trash for two minutes or the dog for two hours; the door is always locked. Backed by a keyed deadbolt locked at night and when we leave for extended periods. However day to day we don't lock the bolt, I, the wife, daughter, dog walker, friends are never locked out. Peace of mind.

Would never have a home without a keypad entry again.

I have keyed Schlage locksets on all of our doors. I was just adjusting the escutcheon or backplate or whatever it's called on the front door this morning.

Maybe down the road I'll upgrade. It's just me and the missus and the dog...not in any big rush at this juncture.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I desperately need an electronic set that auto locks. My lovely other half is downright awful about remembering to lock the front door. I just need it to replace the deadbolt as the handle doesn't have its own lock for our current set. But one that replaces both for a better look would also be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    I desperately need an electronic set that auto locks. My lovely other half is downright awful about remembering to lock the front door. I just need it to replace the deadbolt as the handle doesn't have its own lock for our current set. But one that replaces both for a better look would also be nice.
    For whatever reason our keypad locks are the deadbolt locks. We don't bother w/ the normal lock at all. In fact I have the little lock knob on the inside covered w/ tape. But check Alembic's post. Apparently the normal twist door lock in keypad version can be set to auto lock. Bingo for your need!

don't sleep with your windows open...........

Group of thugs threaten to shoot homeowner if he comes out of his house...

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Group of thugs threaten to shoot homeowner if he comes out of his house...

Seems like a good time to keep someone arguing and distracting them, while you roll out the backside and hit them with a bunch of buckshot.

Or at least that's what would happen if I had my way.

User Tag List