Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock Your Doors

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    It shouldn’t be a crime not to lock your door. He lost his wife, and now should be thrown in jail? The lost wife is the harsh reality.

Who is the say if the door was locked that the same outcome wouldn’t have happened? Sure, bashing the door down will make a lot of noise, but there’s a lot of other way to break into a home without making much noise.
    The offenders admitted they went in because the door was unlocked. That's all from me on this.

It shouldn’t be a crime not to lock your door. He lost his wife, and now should be thrown in jail? The lost wife is the harsh reality.

Who is the say if the door was locked that the same outcome wouldn’t have happened? Sure, bashing the door down will make a lot of noise, but there’s a lot of other way to break into a home without making much noise.
    The jogger is not the victim.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I’m willing to split the baby on this one: the guy was a total douche for carelessly leaving his family to the winds of fate just to avoid carrying a key. What a complete lack of manhood. He failed at life.

At the same time, he’s got to live with it. I don’t see any point in piling on legal charges. He’s not the VCAs doing the crime.

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    The offenders admitted they went in because the door was unlocked. That's all from me on this.
    I read a book a long time ago about serial killers, and one case stood out. The guy was totally disorganized, and his only criteria in victim selection was whether or not the door was unlocked.

It's pretty fucking simple in the 21st century. Electronic deadbolts are inexpensive and easy to install. I haven't carried a house key in years, and our doors are locked all the time.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The jogger is not the victim.
    Would you feel differently if he forgot to lock the door, and didn’t intentionally leave it unlocked?

Would you feel differently if he forgot to lock the door, and didn’t intentionally leave it unlocked?
    Yes. It’s the difference between negligence and gross negligence.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I read a book a long time ago about serial killers, and one case stood out. The guy was totally disorganized, and his only criteria in victim selection was whether or not the door was unlocked.

It's pretty fucking simple in the 21st century. Electronic deadbolts are inexpensive and easy to install. I haven't carried a house key in years, and our doors are locked all the time.
    Yep, 3 houses ago we got these.
    https://www.schlage.com/en/home/prod...365PLYFFF.html
    The two times we have moved since these went onto the house in the first week. To lock it on the way out you hit the little button above the keypad and turn the knob 70-80deg to the left. To lock on the way in you turn the lever 70deg. It is now just a natural thing we do every time we go through the door. Yesterday we were unloading a bunch of stuff from the car and carrying it into the house. One item needed to go in the garage that we were walking through. I decided to spend the 3 minutes needed to put it in it's proper place vs setting it on my workbench. Done putting it away I hit the garage door button, went to open the door to the house and it was locked. Did the combination, muttered a bit on the way in. Wife says sorry, it's just automatic, I didn't mean to lock you out.

We have a Yale electronic lock on the front door and everybody has their own code. I can check lock status remotely and even lock or unlock it when I’m not home. We have two other keyed entries if the electronic lock goes TU, but it’s been reliable.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’m willing to split the baby on this one: the guy was a total douche for carelessly leaving his family to the winds of fate just to avoid carrying a key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Yup. You can lock it up without having to tote around that huge, heavy key.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kwikset-Sig...pad/5014056323

Ours is a Kwikset similar to this. Of course, the security screen door covering it is formed in such a way that I have a regular dumb deadbolt on it, so I still use a key.

The electronic deadbolt is how I got my parents to actually use the deadbolt at their house instead of just the dinky knob lock.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I wonder how often electronic locks fail, requiring folks to break into their own homes.

(Sort of like the electronic safe misadventures which have been reported.)

I don't know the answer, which is why I posted this.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List