Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock Your Doors

Site Supporter

Lock Your Doors

Lock Your Doors!

This happened five years ago in Indianapolis, but the lessons are 100% applicable today. A young woman was brutally raped and murdered in her own home at 7:00am by two intruders.

The young woman’s husband left their home shortly after 6:00am to go to a local gym. He told police he left the front door of their home unlocked. When he returned two hours later he found his wife raped and near death, shot in the back of the head. She died before medical intervention could save her. It appears that the perpetrators of this atrocity had just burglarized a home two doors down from the Blackburn’s home.

It is likely that the suspects saw him leave, and just as likely that they saw him fail to lock the door. They simply entered the home and committed their heinous crimes.

There are a number of lessons here. First, no time of day and no neighborhood are “off limits” to violent crime. It appears the suspects in this case had broken into three other homes in the same neighborhood between 5:30am, and 7:00am, stealing money, a laptop computer, clothing and other items. A few years ago, a student of ours was forced to shoot an intruder who kicked in the front door and entered the student’s home at 6:30am. Our student had to transition from getting his kids ready to go to school to shooting an intruder, in just seconds.

Next, lock your damn doors! It doesn’t matter what time of day it is, or that you will only be gone briefly. If an intruder has to break down a door to enter, that gives you warning and time to arm yourself. If they can just walk right in through an unlocked door, there is no delay, no noise to alert you and no time to react. Third, use your alarm system. Again, a burglar alarm won’t keep an intruder out, but it alerts you that you have a problem, making a response possible.

Now, here’s something to think about. In the Indianapolis case, the husband told police he deliberately left the door unlocked. He didn’t want to be bothered carrying keys when he walked to the nearby gym to work out. That combination of laziness and willful naivete cost his wife her life. As far as I’m concerned, he should be charged with Reckless Endangerment, which is exactly what he did. “But I don’t want to live in fear.”, the wide-eyed sheep says. Locking your doors is not living in fear, any more than wearing a seat belt in traffic or having a fire extinguisher in your home is. Locking your doors is simply taking a reasonable precaution against a real and foreseeable threat.
    This is a perfect example of a preventable tragedy. Complacency and willful naivete combine to get decent people killed.

Delete
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Damn, that's nightmare fuel right there.

I've had both a marriage and a relationship where she stayed at home. I always locked the door after I left, if for no other reason than I didn't want to have to live that guy's life.

The only time the doors are unlocked is when someone is actively passing through them. The reminder is timely, and always appreciated.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Geez, I learned to lock the door in the Good Old Days, had a key from age 8. There was always a concern for "prowlers."

My "semidetached" shop, I lock the kitchen door behind me, and lock the shop door while reloading.

But I still get visitors, friends and acquaintances, who get in and have trouble getting out because I lock the door behind them. Don't they lock up at home?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

After the FBI raid in Homer, my neighbor who is liberal, has a sign on his door that it is unlocked, so don't break it down.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

But I still get visitors, friends and acquaintances, who get in and have trouble getting out because I lock the door behind them. Don't they lock up at home?
    Everyone that leaves my house becomes flummoxed by the locked door.

I don't worry about it none.

(My wife locks me out regularly when I go out to do one chore or another. You'd think I'd get the hint by now. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

One of our procedures is to remain in the locked car until the overhead garage door is fully closed. Pretty easy to send the door back up with an obstruction.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

(My wife locks me out regularly when I go out to do one chore or another. You'd think I'd get the hint by now. )

I frequently have this problem when my wife locks me out back when I'm grilling or enjoying a cigar. I usually just smile and assume she'll let me in when it's time to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    One of our procedures is to remain in the locked car until the overhead garage door is fully closed. Pretty easy to send the door back up with an obstruction.
    Or for the thing to just plain hiccup and open itself and staying all night (or all day while you're at work). Not disputing your point, just that such concerns can arise without a bad actor being present. I do the exact same thing coming and going; I don't understand people who are halfway around the corner headed to work while their door is barely halfway down.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoresy View Post
    Or for the thing to just plain hiccup and open itself and staying all night (or all day while you're at work). Not disputing your point, just that such concerns can arise without a bad actor being present. I do the exact same thing coming and going; I don't understand people who are halfway around the corner headed to work while their door is barely halfway down.
    Always wait to verify the garage door is closed before going off to town. (I don't have to head to work, thankfully.)

And...always lock the garage door opener in the vehicle safe when out of the 4Runner. (No sense handing some miscreant a way to get into the house if they broke into the vehicle.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List