Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 7 Rem Mag questions

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    In 1958, there was prolly some crewcut dude looking at a “relic” Winchester Model 70 contemplating the very same thing…

I’ve regretted selling every gun I ever parted with.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    So I have an unfired Remington 700, 7mm Mag from the 80s banging around the safe. It has a similar era Leupold Vari-X-III 2.5-8 scope mounted.

This thread is convincing me I ought to sell it and if I ever do get into hunting, just get an appropriate modern rifle.

What sort of price should I ask? Should I keep the scope?
    I'd probably put the scope on Fleabay. A Leupy 2.5-8 is a darn good all-around hunting scope, but that one is a few generations old. Glass and coatings get better with each generation. You'll get a decent price for it now, and can lurk for a deal on newer glass in the future if you decide to.

I'm in a similar boat. Several years ago, I wandered past the gun section of the local Academy to see what had yellow clearance tags on it. There was a Tikka in 7RM for an astonishing price. Later, I found some Hornady ammo, also for an astonishing price. At that phase of my gun experience, I wanted to and thought I would do all the things. Not so much anymore. I've just been looking at what that ammo and gun go for on GunBroker, and have decided another safe queen is about to bite the dust. Someone local will probably want my LRM primers.

I'd really rather have a good .223 bolt gun, if I'm honest about it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    So I have an unfired Remington 700, 7mm Mag from the 80s banging around the safe. It has a similar era Leupold Vari-X-III 2.5-8 scope mounted.

This thread is convincing me I ought to sell it and if I ever do get into hunting, just get an appropriate modern rifle.

That rifle will do everything you could ask it to do as a hunting rifle in Arizona. You could sell it in a quick minute as a package or separate the glass and rifle, or you could put in for the deer draw (deadline is midnight today) and shoot it this summer and take it hunting in the fall. Or keep it till next year and do all of that then.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    In 1958, there was prolly some crewcut dude looking at a “relic” Winchester Model 70 contemplating the very same thing…

I’ve regretted selling every gun I ever parted with.
    Interesting thought. I must say I have to agree, especially as Remington is no longer making Model 700 rifles and may or may not make them in the future. That should make the Model 700 collectible as hard as it is for those of us who tripped over them for decades in gun shops, used them, tweaked them, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    That rifle will do everything you could ask it to do as a hunting rifle in Arizona. You could sell it in a quick minute as a package or separate the glass and rifle, or you could put in for the deer draw (deadline is midnight today) and shoot it this summer and take it hunting in the fall. Or keep it till next year and do all of that then.
    AZ is where I used my 7mm RM. I think most hunters probably still hold that cartridge in high esteem in the Rocky Mountain west. Shoots flat, long ways.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The 7mm RM will take anything in North America, and prolly a good bit of Africa farther out than most of us can accurately and humanely shoot...and it will do it all day and twice on Sundays.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Interesting thought. I must say I have to agree, especially as Remington is no longer making Model 700 rifles and may or may not make them in the future. That should make the Model 700 collectible as hard as it is for those of us who tripped over them for decades in gun shops, used them, tweaked them, etc.
    If the "getting the factory back up and running" actually happens, I think they'll start pumping them out again. The public plan is 870s first.

I don't think 700s will be collectible unless very limited-production niche models for many decades. Pre-'64 Winchesters were never built in as many numbers, and people knew in the first few years with the new ones that they were far less good. Those rifles are prized for their inherent characteristics, which really haven't been matched at prices a working man could reasonably save up for by anything before or since. There are a bunch of Rem700 "copies" out there, such as Bergara, that are better than a factory Remington ever was, and lots of other push-feed rifles that are different but arguably better.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

If I were going to build a rig specifically for the desert Southwest, then it would be really close to what you've got. And if I already owned your rifle, then I'd be hard pressed to buy anything else unless I meant to specialize in hunting heavy brush. It's a superb all-around rig for North America with a (very) slight skew toward windy, open country.

The 7RM isn't going anywhere in our lifetimes and a Remington 700 of that vintage is a rock-solid choice. As another OJ mentioned, the scope is getting a little long in the tooth so there's a case to be made for an upgrade. On the other hand, the 2.5-8 is an ideal hunting scope, Leupold quality was still high when that one was made, and the VX-III was the top of the line back then so it probably works as it should.

I'd be inclined to keep both. Definitely check how well it groups with 150-grain ammo before you make any decisions.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This ^^^^

7mm Rem Mag in a bolt gun can be very accurate. It's what the US Secret Service counter snipers used for many years prior to the rise of the more specialized long range calibers in the tactical world.

Among reason's you see lots of 7 mags in TX are it's a non military caliber so you can hunt with it in Mexico (More common in the past) and because you have lot's of shit bag hunters who can't shoot and think a magnum round will make up for their poor shot placement / lack of marksmanship on game that a competent shooter can easily take with a .223 or .243.
    I would love to know more about SS 7mms if you have any details.

I started this thread to avoid an expensive mistake but I sure like the direction it’s gone!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List