Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 Rem Mag questions

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    This is more about if I ran across something like a No1 or Brownchesteroku single shot at a nice price, is there a load to look at that’s low recoil and reasonably accurate just for having a good time shooting from the bench.
    The knowledge required to tune a bolt-action rifle for accuracy is far more widely distributed than for falling-block single shots. It can be done but the rabbit hole is a lot deeper and the aftermarket is a lot smaller.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The knowledge required to tune a bolt-action rifle for accuracy is far more widely distributed than for falling-block single shots. It can be done but the rabbit hole is a lot deeper and the aftermarket is a lot smaller.

Okie John
    This ^^^^

7mm Rem Mag in a bolt gun can be very accurate. It's what the US Secret Service counter snipers used for many years prior to the rise of the more specialized long range calibers in the tactical world.

Among reason's you see lots of 7 mags in TX are it's a non military caliber so you can hunt with it in Mexico (More common in the past) and because you have lot's of shit bag hunters who can't shoot and think a magnum round will make up for their poor shot placement / lack of marksmanship on game that a competent shooter can easily take with a .223 or .243.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    For everything you’re talking about, I’d get a 308 or a 7-08.
    Years ago I bought a 7mm Krieger blank and a reamer with the expectation my buddy would chamber it for me, and he never got around to it, maybe because he never really liked the project and was trying to save me from myself, maybe. Now same buddy is getting more interested in 7-08 and he has convinced me to see the light, so at some point I will have a reamer to sell. I never gave the 7-08 much thought, but the more I study it it the more it makes a lot more sense than I ever gave it credit for. Like everybody else I was getting caught up wanting the 6.5CM, but since I have the barrel that will end up being 7-08 maybe I will be just as set. I will end up with a short action cartridge in a long action, but I can work around that.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    One other thing to add... Savage rifles are easy peesy to accomplish do-it-yourself barrel swaps and head spacing etc.
    I have two of them, and have yet to swap a barrel yet, but am planning to. Maybe when my .243 shoots out it will become a .223, the bolt face is an easy swap as well.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I didn’t think about loads being 60+ grains of powder.
    I also wasn’t aware they could be throat eaters.
    I think those go hand in hand
    Seems like the data shows with 150s damn near twice as much powder gets you another 300fps?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Seems like the data shows with 150s damn near twice as much powder gets you another 300fps?
    That was my point about data being all over the map.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

That didn't take long.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

If the only reason to buy a 7mm Remington Magnum is because the rifle cost is no more than a .243 Win or .30-'06 rifle, I would think long and hard about the uses for the rifle. Even if you reload, each round will likely cost more than the .243 or .30-'06. And if you are not going to load for the reason the round exists (more velocity than a .270 Win), why pay for the extra powder capacity, not use it, and get more powder burn variability?

I rather have a rifle using cartridges with less powder capacity that is pleasant to shoot even if I spend a little bit more on the rifle versus getting a deal on something that needs a lot of powder to be the most consistent.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Maybe talking a bit out of my derričre here, but in some ways I see the era of the belted magnum as a thing of the past. Powder and bullet technology is such that you can get belted performance (and better) out of non belted cartridges. Two examples that come to mind are the .284 and the 300 Norma. Especially in the case of the 300, it provides better performance than a 300winmag out past distances where the winmag normally held king. You still suffer the consequences of shorter barrel life and wallet life though.

Some of the newer .30cal bullets with their exceptionally high BCs have enabled what were “traditionally” 600-800yd cartridges to go much further and do it consistently. The .308 immediately comes to mind. 1000yds out of a .308 (at least for me) was a bit of a novelty for a long time. Some of the newer MatchKings have turned that into something that is certainly beyond that...even with using the same exact components used with the older bullets. The difference between a bullet with a BC in the upper 40s or low 50s and a bullet with a BC pushing 70 is huge. Plus add to that the fact that that bullet is keeping that BC further out and thus retaining velocity as well. I’m on a bit of hiatus from long range stuff as other things in life are occupying the time. I had just started to experiment with the Hornady ELDs in .300. Ford vs. Chevy and all that, but I found the performance out of those ELDs to absolutely smoke that of the Berger’s...which were traditionally top dog when it came to performance in the winmag. Fascinating, nerdy+ stuff IMHO.

Just added worthless pontification on this whole thing...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I agree. The 7RM, 300 WM, 300 WBY, 338 WM, and 375 H&H will hang on as hunting cartridges like the 45-70 and 30-30 have. But as the Baby Boom and the older GenX generations die off, those cartridges will go with them.

Rifling rates will also change, so rechambering Grandpa’s old rifle won’t necessarily keep you in the game.

It’s a beltless world now.

Okie John

At this point I can safely say “Not today Good Idea Fairy, not today!”.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Hammertime
    So I have an unfired Remington 700, 7mm Mag from the 80s banging around the safe. It has a similar era Leupold Vari-X-III 2.5-8 scope mounted.

This thread is convincing me I ought to sell it and if I ever do get into hunting, just get an appropriate modern rifle.

What sort of price should I ask? Should I keep the scope?

User Tag List