Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 7 Rem Mag questions

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    At that phase of my gun experience, I wanted to and thought I would do all the things.
    That whole passion of the gun thing, I get it. Last year I finally acknowledged to myself all of the wants and builds I want to do are based more on a style or a look instead of a specific purpose. I’ve got need covered several times over, now it’s about enjoyment.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I shot my first deer with a Ruger #1 7mm RM when I was 15. My Dad kept bullet weight down to 139 grains or so, and the recoil did not bother me. Light bullets in the 7mm have better sectional densities than those of .30 with bullets in the 139 class, and velocity being squared in the energy equation makes the 7mm RM much more impressive. If I am going to shoot 170 or 180 grain bullets, I might as well shoot a .30 caliber rifle.

Handloader magazine can sell you reprints of Ken Waters' Pet Loads articles on any caliber you wish. I have most of them downstairs, and could scan those I have if you get a 7mm RM. Waters did a lot of experimenting and gave lots of insight. The other two sources I really like are old Lyman manuals, and Sierra manuals. I like them because they list a load which gives really good results in most rifles of that caliber with each bullet weight.

A 7mm RM wears out a barrel faster than a .30 caliber. These "overbore" cartridges tend to eat up barrel throats. You may be able to see it. You will certainly be able to feel it, if you run a patch down the barrel.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    Handloader magazine can sell you reprints of Ken Waters' Pet Loads articles on any caliber you wish. I have most of them downstairs, and could scan those I have if you get a 7mm RM. Waters did a lot of experimenting and gave lots of insight. The other two sources I really like are old Lyman manuals, and Sierra manuals. I like them because they list a load which gives really good results in most rifles of that caliber with each bullet weight.
    Some of the classics like 4831 continue to do well, but the latest generations of powders include some that may provide significant benefits in the 7RM. Worth considering if starting from scratch.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The above goes for bullets too.

When Hornady dropped the .30cal 208Gr AMAX and switched to the 208gr ELDm I reworked the load I had developed for my rifle. In the end, the powder charge was slightly different, and the CBTO measurement was different as well.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List