Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 7 Rem Mag questions

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I’ve always avoided heavy recoiling, large game calibers because I’m not a recoil junkie and I don’t reload (yet). 99.995% of my shooting has been from a bench at paper or steel so I’ve never had a want/need for the 7 Rem Mag. If I’m thinking about a 7mm, it’s the 7x57. However, when I’m looking in the used racks or online, I often see 7 Rem Mag rifles at a price I’m willing to pay for a .30-06, .243, etc.

Now that I’m getting closer to being able to reload, does anyone have suggestions for an accurate, low(er) recoil load for bench shooting? Something that won’t beat me up out of a single shot would be nice. Accuracy is obviously rifle dependent to a certain degree but I’m not looking for BR levels, 1-2 MOA at 200 yards would be suitable.

Thanks!
    If I didn't reload AND I was buying a magnum bolt face gun AND I didn't want it to recoil I would want the chamber to look something like a 6.5 PRC or (possibly) a 7 WSM or 7mm RM.

In truth a 7 rem mag in a non featherweight rifle with a decent stock design is far from punishing, you can shoot a rem40x in 7 RM with 168gr or less weight SMK's for a 60 shot prone match as a sling shooter pretty easily, I wouldn't make the same claim for the same gun, for every shooter with a 300 WM shooting heavy 30 cals.

If a brake and/ or more weight is an option a lot of bigger magnums start to be viable "fun" shooting options.

That being said 2-300 yards @ 1 moa doesn't need 60+ gr of powder 223, 6mm (any flavor), 6.5 creed, 6.5x55, .260 would all be great paper punchers way past the range you were talking about along with a myriad of other options.

If you flip the paradigm a little and did reload AND had a magnum bolt face action, I might make the chamber look like a stubby WSSM and buy all the brass I could find and enjoy a really efficient cartridge w/ low recoil...
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If the "getting the factory back up and running" actually happens, I think they'll start pumping them out again. The public plan is 870s first.
    Has anyone heard if the new owners have been able to restart 870 production? The last thing I heard was in the LGS and stated that the restart date has passed without employees reporting to the manufacturing floor. That is pure unsubstantiated rumor, so I figure someone here might have information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I would love to know more about SS 7mms if you have any details.
    I don’t other than that they were custom bolt guns. They were mentioned by some of the firearms staff at FLETC in Cheltenham MD, most of whom were former USSS.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I don’t other than that they were custom bolt guns. They were mentioned by some of the firearms staff at FLETC in Cheltenham MD, most of whom were former USSS.
    I vaguely remember, word of mouth, type info from other competitiors "in the know" "back in the day" of 700's with mcmillan and brown stocks and obermeyer and krieger barrels, handloaded ammo for each gun and a strict regimen on replacing tubes so they didn't crap out at the wrong time. Your "from the horse's mouth" contacts could probably give much more accurate information.

I also vaguely remember a South American LE agency's use of a 7mmRM in a relatively long range sniper role in a publicized hostage rescue situation in the late 80's / early ninties after being influenced USSS.
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    If I were going to build a rig specifically for the desert Southwest, then it would be really close to what you've got. And if I already owned your rifle, then I'd be hard pressed to buy anything else unless I meant to specialize in hunting heavy brush. It's a superb all-around rig for North America with a (very) slight skew toward windy, open country.

The 7RM isn't going anywhere in our lifetimes and a Remington 700 of that vintage is a rock-solid choice. As another OJ mentioned, the scope is getting a little long in the tooth so there's a case to be made for an upgrade. On the other hand, the 2.5-8 is an ideal hunting scope, Leupold quality was still high when that one was made, and the VX-III was the top of the line back then so it probably works as it should.

I'd be inclined to keep both. Definitely check how well it groups with 150-grain ammo before you make any decisions.

Okie John
    Thanks for that. Doesn't cost me much to keep and I think I have 50-70 rounds of ammo if I ever decide to get it sighted in.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    All these quotes are from another thread that went off the rails and got hijacked with O'Connor talk and such. Put it here because it's a follow-up to my earlier comments on 7RM.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeCat View Post
    6mm ARC vs 6.5 Grendel feels a lot like 270 vs 30/06 circa the 1920s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Too bad Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith aren't here to resolve this and tell us why the Grendel or ARC is so much better than the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Perhaps. But, whatever he advised, it would be from atop a picturesque mountain with an unbelievably big sheep in the foreground.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD
    Ironically, I spent some time playing with load data and a ballistic calculator last night. Looking at the 7RM, .284 Winchester, .308, and .260. After I was sure I had my head around it, I thought, "You know, why don't I just take a look at .270, because I never really have?" So I looked up BCs and load data and put it all into the calculator. Laid the printouts on a big empty table.

7RM is definitely for sale.

If I decide in the future that I should have something longer-legged than the .308 and .260, it will almost certainly be a .270 Win. In a nutshell, it launches the same weight bullets at about the same speed as .308, but they are skinnier and have better BC for a given level of aerodynamic development. As a result, the .270 is clearly and convincingly better than the .308 past 300 yards in drop, wind drift and retained energy. The difference in recoil should come down to just the 15% +/- greater powder charge and its "rocket" effect when the tube is uncorked. Not a big deal. Case neck is ~0.10 inch longer than the 7RM and .284 with less powder burned, so barrels should last notably longer. Shoulder angle is very shallow, so it should feed like Cookie Monster at the Keebler factory, with the modest penalty of trimming brass a little more often than some other cases. And if deer are hunted where you are, you can probably get factory ammo if you need it.

A 140-grain bullet in the .260 will have a better BC than in .270, but it won't launch as fast, so it starts out behind and doesn't catch up until well past where I'm likely to ever have business taking a shot on game, if it does at all. (I only ran numbers to 600 yards.) And 6.5-06 has a reputation as a throat burner.

Which has all been written before, but it was fun and interesting to churn through the data myself and confirm that little has changed in 96 years.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

If I decide in the future that I should have something longer-legged than the .308 and .260

https://youtu.be/HMQt2SXGT_8
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Sure, it'll get there. But look at drop, wind drift and retained energy inside 600 yards.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Sure, it'll get there. But look at drop, wind drift and retained energy inside 600 yards.
    I was just jerking your chain. I know nobody is going to shoot something past 400 yds. except for maybe a Marine sniper. .270 has worked for a long time for a lot of people.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    All these quotes are from another thread that went off the rails and got hijacked with O'Connor talk and such. Put it here because it's a follow-up to my earlier comments on 7RM.

Ironically, I spent some time playing with load data and a ballistic calculator last night. Looking at the 7RM, .284 Winchester, .308, and .260. After I was sure I had my head around it, I thought, "You know, why don't I just take a look at .270, because I never really have?" So I looked up BCs and load data and put it all into the calculator. Laid the printouts on a big empty table.

7RM is definitely for sale.

If I decide in the future that I should have something longer-legged than the .308 and .260, it will almost certainly be a .270 Win. In a nutshell, it launches the same weight bullets at about the same speed as .308, but they are skinnier and have better BC for a given level of aerodynamic development. As a result, the .270 is clearly and convincingly better than the .308 past 300 yards in drop, wind drift and retained energy. The difference in recoil should come down to just the 15% +/- greater powder charge and its "rocket" effect when the tube is uncorked. Not a big deal. Case neck is ~0.10 inch longer than the 7RM and .284 with less powder burned, so barrels should last notably longer. Shoulder angle is very shallow, so it should feed like Cookie Monster at the Keebler factory, with the modest penalty of trimming brass a little more often than some other cases. And if deer are hunted where you are, you can probably get factory ammo if you need it.

A 140-grain bullet in the .260 will have a better BC than in .270, but it won't launch as fast, so it starts out behind and doesn't catch up until well past where I'm likely to ever have business taking a shot on game, if it does at all. (I only ran numbers to 600 yards.) And 6.5-06 has a reputation as a throat burner.

Which has all been written before, but it was fun and interesting to churn through the data myself and confirm that little has changed in 96 years.
    Name:  7FEFEF27-666F-46CA-97F5-0FB686134E52.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  104.6 KB

.270 Winchester, Win Mod 70 FWT. Arizona Coues Whitetail, 130 yards. 110gr Speer Prohunter @ approx 2900fps. A moderate load with mild recoil that would have taken max effort to almost equal from my .243, but would have handily killed it, too. Of course, that short of range, there’s a whole stack of cartridges and rifles that would have handled the job.

User Tag List