Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to research value of old Winchester rifles and carbines?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive seen shooter grade common type 73 guns that are mechanically OK, fair bores, but have silvered out finishes and such, that sold for around what new Miroku/Winchesters are going for. If I had a serious Jones for an old one Id just get one and buy brass and not look back, but,...if one already was set up in a modern caliber and wanted simple, the new ones do that well and by all accounts are very well made guns.

The 92s are great guns, I really like the Browning 92 I have, but I dont shoot it all that much.
    Sounds like you have a handle on repros. I dropped a bid on a Browning 92 on Action Arms recently but that one went into the stratosphere. So did a Miroku/Win 92 on GB. I have a hard time with auction sites so I try real hard to avoid those.

I reload 44 and 357 mag already. That makes a yuge difference these days with brass, dies and bullets in short supply. I could buy one of those old timers and wait a year for brass, bullets and dies.

Check out ebay. Dies are going for 20% over retail because everyone is out of stock.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-06-2021 at 08:05 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    First, make sure that you know exactly what you have. Winchester built more than a few guns to order so there can be almost infinite variation in barrel length, caliber, finish, sights, wood, etc. Some are worth far more than others.

I'd start by running the serial number at https://gun-data.com/winchester_73.h...73%20to%201923 so you know when it was made. That's a big piece of the puzzle.

Below the date charts on that page there are a few notes about variations.

Okie John
    Good stuff. Mine was made in 1885. Not the oldest item I’ve owned, but very cool nonetheless.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

After all this great advice, I figure I owe you MoFos a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Caliber? Or did I miss it up thread?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    After all this great advice, I figure I owe you MoFos a pic.
    Nice, a round barrel rifle. The round barrels were the supposed standard, but octagons were more popular and I believe sold many more than the rounds.

Have you measured the barrel? It looks like its been shortened, the magazine ring is usually about 3 1/2" back from the muzzle. 24" was most common and the standard length, though Winchester would make them about any length one wanted. The magazine ring placement was pretty standard on full magazine guns regardless of barrel length.

If youre interested, The Winchester Book by George Madis is a good reference work, you can find out more than you ever wanted to about most Winchester models, along with numerous pictures of the many variations seen. Many Librarys have it or can get a copy.
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-11-2021 at 01:18 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

@Malamute, it’s 20 5/8”.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Caliber? Or did I miss it up thread?
    .44-40

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    .44-40
    Bah, for an obsolete caliber like that I’ll do $400 shipped IF I can get a Midwest Industries M-Lok fore end for it, otherwise tree fiddy.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Bah, for an obsolete caliber like that I’ll do $400 shipped IF I can get a Midwest Industries M-Lok fore end for it, otherwise tree fiddy.
    Hey I have dies and brass and bullets for that, I will go $499 but you pay for shipping

On second thought no, I have robbed Totempolar enough times....

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Hey I have dies and brass and bullets for that, I will go $499 but you pay for shipping

On second thought no, I have robbed Totempolar enough times....
    You’d have to buy me dinner first on this one, buddy.

User Tag List