Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to research value of old Winchester rifles and carbines?

Best way to research value of old Winchester rifles and carbines?

BLUF: I have on old lever—and by old, I mean a model 1873—that I inherited and have lugged around as an investment. I’ve decided that the time to cash it in is now (a new instrument beckons) and I don’t know what I don’t know about moving something like this that’s probably worth a couple grand to someone. But there are people on here who know exactly how to sell an old ’73, so I figure I’ll ask the hive first, and rabbit hole second.

Thanks in advance, folks.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Condition is primary importance, and being original condition right up there. In the past many well meaning people "decided to clean it up" and devalued many old guns to a fraction of their previous value by poorly done cleaning up.

Id start looking on gunbroker, and start saving/watching all similar 73s and see where they actually go in price if/when they sell. If its a shooter grade gun and a shooter grade price, you should be able to figure it out quickly. If it has any special order features, any factory made changes from a standard gun in any way, that can help the value, though once again, condition plays a huge role. I dont know much about specific prices any more, but if you want to post pictures it may help you ask the right questions and know if its a standard gun or has any special order features. Winchester had a list of extras they would do, or they would do nearly anything someone asked, for a price. The common changes may not boost it much if its a shooter grade gun, but may help it sell easier.

I think the 73 was made till about 1927.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I had some luck with Guns International selling an L C Smith shotgun but it took awhile. There are a number of 73's listed there but how they came up with those prices I haven't a clue. I wouldn't take it to a dealer to find out what it's worth because they generally don't know a lot about antiques. They start digging thru Bluebooks which isn't market by a long shot.

One other thing you might try is take some pics and ask the value on the Winchesters Collectors website. I'm sure they would get you into the ballpark on the value and you might even get some action on it.

https://winchestercollector.org/foru...hester-rifles/
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I think all of what the previous posters mentioned, and I would also reference what Bob Simpson is asking for https://simpsonltd.com/long-guns/win...hester-rifles/

Those are all consignment rifles at Simpson, he has a big audience and does eventually sell everything for those customers, although not the absolute auction model of gunbroker.

The auction houses like Morphy, Rock Island, etc. are also pretty good barometers of what the market price currently is if you find something that is similar enough.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Besides Simpson, Collectors Firearms in HOU usually has a fair number up as well.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

In a quick look at GB, the only old orginal 73s that seem to be getting bids right at the moment are under $1000. The new production guns may have taken some of the steam out of the market of people looking for shoot-able older ones for fair prices.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I think all of what the previous posters mentioned, and I would also reference what Bob Simpson is asking for https://simpsonltd.com/long-guns/win...hester-rifles/

Those are all consignment rifles at Simpson, he has a big audience and does eventually sell everything for those customers, although not the absolute auction model of gunbroker.
    Yo Mdog: I think you solved my problem.

I appreciate the input, folks!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

First, make sure that you know exactly what you have. Winchester built more than a few guns to order so there can be almost infinite variation in barrel length, caliber, finish, sights, wood, etc. Some are worth far more than others.

I'd start by running the serial number at https://gun-data.com/winchester_73.h...73%20to%201923 so you know when it was made. That's a big piece of the puzzle.

Below the date charts on that page there are a few notes about variations.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    In a quick look at GB, the only old orginal 73s that seem to be getting bids right at the moment are under $1000. The new production guns may have taken some of the steam out of the market of people looking for shoot-able older ones for fair prices.
    I'm looking for a model 92 right now. I reload but I don't want to mess around with those old cartridges like 44-40. I'll buy a repro in a straight wall case like 357 or 44 mag. It' so much easier to reload and I can get some support if it has problems. The original rifles really aren't for people who shoot a lot even tho the ammo is out there. The originals, even in fair condition are priced above the reproductions. As you suggest, those are for collectors, not shooters.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-06-2021 at 06:51 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Ive seen shooter grade common type 73 guns that are mechanically OK, fair bores, but have silvered out finishes and such, that sold for around what new Miroku/Winchesters are going for. If I had a serious Jones for an old one Id just get one and buy brass and not look back, but,...if one already was set up in a modern caliber and wanted simple, the new ones do that well and by all accounts are very well made guns.

The 92s are great guns, I really like the Browning 92 I have, but I dont shoot it all that much.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List