Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prostate cancer and divorce

Thank you all.Just having a few particularly bad days.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    SecondsCount,I'm in NJ,after 20 years of marriage,there's "permanent spousal support" but apparently it's not verbatim.I can't say I'm overly thrilled with the first one,maybe the second will be a bit more aggressive.I'm trying to come up with a second retainer now for him.right now we're in the Discovery phase,next is mediation with a group of attorneys.I'd also like to retire one day if possible,all I'll have is social security and I'm not sure if she can get any of that.
    Is that what your lawyer is telling you?

You don't need a retainer to discuss this. They should be able to offer a preliminary game plan and tell you what they would fight for at the consultation.

They have to leave some income for you to live on.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Student
    Please monitor yourself carefully during the complications after your biopsy.

SecondsCount,had an attorney since February,paid the retainer and then hourly fees,unfortunately he has to have surgery and at this time he can't continue.Another attorney that he shares office space with will take over the case but I have to pay him a retainer too(at the same fees the first attorney charged which are lower than the second one).The part about spousal support is the law in NJ since 2014 but it's not necessarily as it's written.

This just feels fishy. What happened to the money you paid the first guy?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The first attorney did do work,he sent an itemized bill which I'm satisfied with.He then charged as work was completed by his hourly rate.It's just coming up with another retainer for the new attorney.

Site Supporter
    Hopefully, there is no cancer, but catching it early is good, very good. I have not had prostate cancer but I did have colon cancer and thyroid cancer. Both caught early.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Prayers up re your health. In addition to the advice already offered, consider the following:

1. Having somebody who was office sharing with your former atty is about as good as it could get when you have to substitute counsel mid case.

2. To the extent you have not already done so, lock down your bank accts, credit accts, email accts, etc.

3. Maintain any jointly held debts as best you can to protect your credit rating.

4. Resist the urge to talk badly about your wife to your daughter. This is a tough one in the moment. However, kids figure stuff out and your daughter knows your her mother.
    Document your efforts to maintain that relationship.

5. To the extent it is consistent with the law, custom and practice where your divorce is pending, try to angle money toward your daughter for child support /tuitions/expenses etc.
    a. she is not yet an adult and presumably cannot support herself
    b. there is a defined end date for these expenses i.e. 18, 21, conclusion of school etc.
    c. A way to do this may some type of trust/escrow acct which demonstrate you are actually setting it aside etc.

6. Consider being a bit more than fair to get this thing done. There is great value in finality re reduction in stress, legal expenses etc.
    7. Presume both your wife and your daughter are recording/memorializing all conversations, emails,texts etc. Govern yourself accordingly.
    8. Try to capture and keep the high moral ground to the extent possible.
    9. Did not waste time/talent/treasure chasing easily replaceable things in the house etc. Divorce attys have a drawer full of cases where folks were literally arguing over cookware, kitchen knives, furniture, electronics, tools etc.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    I’m a prostate cancer survivor. I too chose radiation therapy over surgery and it worked out well for me. I was retired when I went through it so there wasn’t any work conflict. The radiation didn’t really slow me down, and I celebrated completing it by doing a 100-mile bike ride.

I have no input about divorce.

Site Supporter
    My grandfather and great-grandfather both had slow-growing prostate cancer when they died. Both died of something other than cancer without ever treating the cancer.

Dad had BPH diagnosed when he was 27. When he was in his mid-sixties, he was diagnosed with a more aggressive form of prostate cancer than his father and grandfather had that required treatment. Radiation plugs slowed it a bit, but didn’t really accomplish the goals, so he ended up having to have it removed.

I get PSA and prostate checked every year. So far so good, but early detection gives lots of treatment options. You should do well.

Divorce seems to always suck. We are with you.

User Tag List