Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prostate cancer and divorce

Prostate cancer and divorce

I had a routine PSA two months ago and it was a little high,4.2DRE was fine.Doctor prescribed an antibiotic thinking that it was prostate infection,it wasn't.Had an MRI and it showed that cancer was unlikely.So just to rule out cancer,I have a biopsy on Friday.I am concerned and stressed,along with this I'm getting divorced.Any Forum members have any insights,cancer,treatment,prevention,etc?Thanks everyone.

Ron,

Hang in there, brother.

Medical science has come a long way in the last three or four decades. Treatment and remission / cure rates are higher than ever before. Do as your doctors tell you and keep a positive attitude. Seek out second, and third, opinions if necessary. This is all about you!

My dad is presently going through more chemo for the same problem and I can tell you that his determination and positive attitude have contributed to his longevity and positive response to treatment.

Look for support from family, friends, and your church congregation if you attend one. Have loved ones and friends take you to and from treatments and infusions. The "down" time spent with them during those times is a precious opportunity to reconnect and develop an even greater appreciation for those who love us and are ever present in our lives. I sit with my father while he is undergoing IV transfusion and those few hours where we are constrained to waiting and free of distractions is truly a blessing in that it allows us the freedom to talk without risk of interruption.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Ron.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

A few things to remember:

1) Tests will be more conclusive, but if so far everything says no, then chances are very good you don't have cancer.

2) If an MRI didn't find anything then if you do have cancer it sounds like it would be in early stages and imminently treatable.

3) The saying goes that men die with prostate cancer but not from prostate cancer. So, making sure you're otherwise healthy is important.

@TheSchwartz is right, treatment options are rapidly expanding. The link below is to a recent development focused on late state prostate cancer. I hope it is not and will never be applicable to you, but it illustrates @theSchwartz's observation.

https://www.newsmax.com/health/healt...04/id/1023896/

I can’t add anything worth hearing on the medical side, so I’ll just say two things:

One, hang in there.

Two, you are going through an inordinate amount of stress right now. As hard as it might be in the moment, try to do small things for yourself (eg. just go get a burger and fries or a new pair of jeans or take a walk in the woods or similar) and, especially: try to keep whatever is *not* currently going sideways on track. My dad once gave me that advice, and it’s served me well on a couple of shit sandwich occasions. Keep the things that are going well from devolving and adding to your stress level.

For what it’s worth. Mostly, hang in there.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Thank you all very much for your support!

Site Supporter
    I was where you are now back in 2010. My biopsy proved positive and I chose radiation treatment over surgery. I was teaching at the time and had my treatments over the summer; didn't miss a day at work. The apprehension was the greatest source of stress for me but I took comfort in knowing that the recovery rate from it was very high when discovered early. I'll keep a good thought for you and your upcoming test.
    Regards, Ted

Your MRI sounds like good news, because they didn't tell you that you have it and it's metastasized. If it turns out to be cancer and it's early, I know a lot of guys who have done quite well, as in no new problems for >10 years. I know it's easier said than done, but try to relax until you get the results. Google anxiety treatment: breathing, mindfulness, work out, don't get hammered. Just sitting around focusing on your worries will only make it worse.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I will echo the sentiment by those above...the MRI showing nothing is a good sign.

Good luck on your biopsy. Nothing is worse than waiting for medical test results so in the meantime, focus on spending time doing stuff you enjoy to take your mind somewhere else.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Divorce

I'm getting divorced after 25 years of marriage,I'm 64,she's 51,it's my choice.I've been out of the house for the past 4 months,3 sleeping in my truck,the last month sleeping in an RV trailer that a friend borrowed for me.I have a 16 year old daughter that doesn't speak to me.My attorney is having surgery so I now have a new one.There's a lot of details that I'm leaving out because it's a public forum.Divorces typically take a year in this state.I tired and just want it to be over.

User Tag List