Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 Slide stop retention?

I have not heard of these books. Yes I find the 1911 very interesting especially compared to my Beretta 92A1. The Beretta is also interesting with the non-tilting barrel. It’s apparent that there are many different ways to make a 1911. Even the differences between a “match barrel” configuration vs a non-match barrel configuration. I’m finding there is a lot of understanding needed to troubleshoot a problem IF you have one. Compared to a Glock for example, the 1911s are a completely different animal. The controlled round feeding, internal extractors, just lots of things need to be right for them to run. My interest came mainly from the history of the weapon and it’s heritage which is common with the Beretta 92: Both were military issue from 1911 thru 2015. I also have much regard for JM Browning. So I had to get one. And now I have one. I see all these parts for sale and looking at my pistol, and thinking you really can’t “drop anything” in except grips. And if you have an ambi safety, make sure the right hand side doesn’t hit the grip. But yes, I think the 1911 platform is very neat and I can see possibly getting another one even though I said initially I would only get one. I may invest in a book like this and appreciate you sharing it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    @Rmiked have you ever seen or heard of thess books by Kuhnhausen?

Given your engineering background and inquisitiveness of the 1911 platform, I think you may find it informative and interesting.

Attachment 72457
    Very much seconded. Got it via interlibrary loan and had to pick and choose what parts to study. I would buy it on kindle. Or in paper if I had a shop to keep it in...

I am also constantly amazed that the first guns were built by hand tools and steam powered shop tools. No CAD, no CNC, no electricity or indoor plumbing.

pat

You can read the original patents, too. They cover every detail of the gun and some things not on the gun, which made it awful tough for the competition to come up with a functional equivalent. The Savage and Remington automatics are just weird.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List