Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: June 6, 1944

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Several of my very close family members were living in occupied France 77 years ago, and I am speechlessly grateful to those who took part in the invasion.
    I've only met a couple of them, while visiting Paris, but I also had family there. One, who died shortly before I visited, went on to follow in the footsteps of his adoptive father, with a lifelong career in the U.S. Army.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Name:  DD4FB418-D00F-4D1C-838A-A551E00622FE.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  95.8 KB
    This is my second cousin on my Mother’s side.
    KIA on 22 June 1944.
    Thirty-four years old.
    Bet the teen privates called him”Pop”.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Same for my dad, except he was in the 5th infantry division.
    Grandpa was 79th ID.

Name:  IMG_0443.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  59.3 KB

My Grandfather on my Father's side was awarded the Bronze Star for service in France during the invasion (my understanding was that he came ashore after the initial June 6 invasion). I haven't been able to find a citation or any details, but my Father has told me that he was in transportation and the medal was for keeping supply chains moving under fire. I haven't been able to find any information about the "Break Through" pin either, but assume it's a campaign/operation associated with the push towards Germany. His Bronze Star and ribbons/pins are one of my most prized possessions.

A good friend and I visited Omaha Beach in 2018, and it is truly hallowed ground. I was very proud to see some many American flags being flown at private residences in the area, and someone played the Star Spangled Banner at Les Braves Memorial. We got there too late to visit the American Cemetery, but the tidal conditions were essentially identical to those at the D-Day landing, so we got the opportunity to see things from the perspective of both the Allies and the Axis, including from inside a bunker.

I had long believed it, but actually being there at Omaha really reiterated how much they deserve the title "The Greatest Generation."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    My Grandfather on my Father's side was awarded the Bronze Star for service in France during the invasion (my understanding was that he came ashore after the initial June 6 invasion). I haven't been able to find a citation or any details, but my Father has told me that he was in transportation and the medal was for keeping supply chains moving under fire. I haven't been able to find any information about the "Break Through" pin either, but assume it's a campaign/operation associated with the push towards Germany. His Bronze Star and ribbons/pins are one of my most prized possessions.
    That's the unit crest for the 117th Infantry Regiment. It's not an award, it's an item you wear on your dress uniform or headgear to show which unit you're a part of.

June 6, 1944

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Name:  DD4FB418-D00F-4D1C-838A-A551E00622FE.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  95.8 KB
    This is my second cousin on my Mother’s side.
    KIA on 22 June 1944.
    Thirty-four years old.
    Bet the teen privates called him”Pop”.
    The 4th Mechanized Cavalry Group landed in France on D-Day, but on islands 6000 yards off Utah Beach. They subsequently went ashore and fought a bloody battle at Cap de la Hague. Looks like this is where he may have lost his life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by john c; 06-07-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Do you know where he lost his life?

Not sure exactly.
    4th ID landed at Utah Beach.
    Might do a little online digging to see where his unit would have been on 22 June.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    That's the unit crest for the 117th Infantry Regiment. It's not an award, it's an item you wear on your dress uniform or headgear to show which unit you're a part of.
    I was hoping someone here might have some insight. Thank you for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Not sure exactly.
    4th ID landed at Utah Beach.
    Might do a little online digging to see where his unit would have been on 22 June.
    See my updated response above.

User Tag List