Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Reason NOT to “14-2”?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    6gr unique under a 158 is way over max. 5.2-5.4 are +p.
    Just for context, I have some 170-grain SWCs loaded over six grains of Unique. They run about 1070 fps from a 4” barrel. That load is listed in old Lyman manuals as a .38-44 load, and I use in in my M28 because reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Yeah...after I typed that, I stopped a minute to think what the h&ll I just said. Sorry. Like you stated, I meant decent +P level loads on occasion and NOT a steady diet. My usual +P load is 5.4gr Unique/158gr LSWC. That’s for my .357 SP101 as well.
    No worries, I typed 13.5gr unique in my .357 reloading thread. I meant 2400

Entropy:

The K-38 was S&W's target revolver for years. They are typically incredibly accurate. The K frames also have a better feel to them than the N frame guns. It is hard to quantify, but the K frames handle a bit better. I have a tough time fitting into XXL gloves and I still prefer the K frame. If you use it in its intended role, high end target/field revolver, I think you will be fine durability wise. I'd feed that gun a steady diet of full charge rounds with either a 148 grain wadcutter or 158 grain semi-wadcutter over an appropriate charge of Bullseye and do my absolute best to wear it out.

One of my mentors, Bill Roberts, shot a K38 for all sorts of stuff and he ran thousands of rounds through it. One of his favorite pastimes was shooting the National Match bullseye course with his firing double action only. After I saw him run that K38, I realized that revolvers were far more capable than most give them credit for. One time I shot against Bill in an informal steel match using my tricked out 1911 and he using his K38. We both had 15 steel plates to knock down. He beat me like a rented mule. As Pat Roger's used to say: "Learning occurred" that day for me.

Later, one of my neighbors turned out to be a medically retired motor cycle officer from the Los Angeles Police Department. His duty gun was a K-38 with a six inch barrel that was modified to double action only and wore custom Fuzzy Farrant stocks. He carried that gun from the late 60s to the early 80s. I would buy either of those K38s in a instant give the chance. S&W doesn't make them like that anymore.

Food for thought. If you buy that blaster, I think there is some forum rule that pretty much requires you to post photos of it in a pile of brass....
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

I loved winning bullseye matches with my M14, against guys with tricked out pistols and red dots.

It's one of my favorites. Don't let it get away.

Bruce and I will have to agree to disagree on the feel of N frames though.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I loved winning bullseye matches with my M14, against guys with tricked out pistols and red dots.

It's one of my favorites. Don't let it get away.

Bruce and I will have to agree to disagree on the feel of N frames though.
    Trooper 224:

I agree to amicably disagree. We should engage is strenuous debate, perhaps aided with a dram of 15 year old Macallans. I will concede that the second best handling S&W was an issued Registered Magnum with a 5 inch barrel.....

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Not sure if the 14/K38 had anything designed different than any other K frame...say like the 19.
    The 14/K38 are 38 Specials. Either should stand up to a lifetime of use with 38 Special loads.

The 19 is a .357 Magnum. BIG difference. Pretty much the revolver version of putting the 40 S&W into the G19 envelope.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have my grandfathers late 60s K-22, and would someday love a K-38 to match. There’s something about the hang of a 6” K frame…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    More info tonight on it. Going to get with the gent that is selling it to ask questions directly.

I must admit, the more I dive into it, the more I like the idea of a K Frame sized .38. I don’t really shoot many .357s, although the N Frames, the Rugers and the DW are all chambered for such. Standard to +P 38s is what I always shoot (and have reloading components for). It seems the same with .44 for me. I always shoot mid to upper end Special loads, and never really dive into the magnum stuff...just never found the need nor desire.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    A bit of a disappointment. Indeed a Simpson gun (which doesn’t bother me) but also has the DA “disabled”. That’s a showstopper.

Oh well.

I AM on the prowl for a K-38 now however. I’ve managed to talk myself into needing one. Lol
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

A bit of a disappointment. Indeed a Simpson gun (which doesn’t bother me) but also has the DA “disabled”. That’s a showstopper.

Oh well.

I AM on the prowl for a K-38 now however. I’ve managed to talk myself into needing one. Lol
    Not sure if it was done at the factory, or exactly how they do it, but it may be as simple as replacing and fitting the DA lever in the front of the hammer. Replacement parts arent that hard to find either, as in replace the hammer with one that has the regular parts.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List