Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Researchers can kiss my ***

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Last I checked, goat meat is the most commonly consumed meat in the entire world. And that ain't even on the list here. Hmm.

And I know for a fact that goats can and do fart.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-06-05 11.44.50 AM.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  33.3 KB

Not sure where you got your graphic, but the BBC (of all places) says China has 2x the carbon output of the US.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-06-05 11.44.50 AM.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  33.3 KB

Not sure where you got your graphic, but the BBC (of all places) says China has 2x the carbon output of the US.
    Well, his were per capita and it looks like yours are not. Also yours are labeled “energy related expenditures” so not obvious it includes cattle etc.

Link to BBC article. It covers a lot of data.

The Woke insistence that America is Just The Worst in everything is another example of Ugly American Exceptionalism.

Chill out, Junior. You don't have to top everyone.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    China spews less than twice as much carbon as the US, but with over four times the population. Per capita the US is among the worst polluters in the world (and China is mid-pack):

Attachment 72396
    As someone who has spent a significant amount of time in China you can't convince me they are somehow polluting less than than the US. Our quality of life is about 100x the average Chinese subject, personal ownership of autos is vastly higher, and average health is substantially better. Not to mention the constant smog and high rates of respiratory issues in Chinese locals.

China also spews actual pollutants (i.e. not naturally occurring gasses) into the atmosphere and waterways.

I also wouldn't trust a single piece of data provided by any Chinese entity. Everything there is filtered by the communist party and nothing takes place without their blessing... And influence.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    What was the date for which that map was generated? US emissions have remained roughly flat over the last decade, but Chinese emissions have grown by roughly 1.5x over the same time frame.
    2018, so China may be over 2x now (but still has >4x the population).

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Last I checked, goat meat is the most commonly consumed meat in the entire world. And that ain't even on the list here. Hmm.

And I know for a fact that goats can and do fart.
    This is where GHG accounting gets tricky. Most goats graze on natural grass & shrubs, while most cattle these days rely on feed (often from deforested & irrigated land). As Blades mentioned earlier, a ruminant's diet plays a large part in its GHG emissions (with feed being worse). And if it lives on deforested land that further compounds the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The Woke insistence that America is Just The Worst in everything is another example of Ugly American Exceptionalism.

Chill out, Junior. You don't have to top everyone.
    The idea was posited that since China is worse than us, we shouldn't worry about making any changes until/unless they change first. On the one hand, this defies elementary school "two wrongs don't make a right" logic. On the other, the Pareto Principle makes clear that a majority of the gains can be had from a minority of sources so it generally is best to go after the low hanging fruit first.

Unfortunately, we are actually much worse at emitting greenhouse gases than China on a per capita basis so even the pareto principle would dictate that we should be focused on making changes ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    As someone who has spent a significant amount of time in China you can't convince me they are somehow polluting less than than the US. Our quality of life is about 100x the average Chinese subject, personal ownership of autos is vastly higher, and average health is substantially better. Not to mention the constant smog and high rates of respiratory issues in Chinese locals.

China also spews actual pollutants (i.e. not naturally occurring gasses) into the atmosphere and waterways.

I also wouldn't trust a single piece of data provided by any Chinese entity. Everything there is filtered by the communist party and nothing takes place without their blessing... And influence.
    Precisely. I honestly don't think the CO2 data is nearly as important as the really dangerous pollutants that the third world and China put out.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post

Unfortunately, we are actually much worse at emitting greenhouse gases than China on a per capita basis so even the pareto principle would dictate that we should be focused on making changes ourselves.
    A large portion of China also lives like pre-industrial serfs, so while I agree that while we should, and are, try to not pollute the world we should not base our standard of living on what China thinks we should do. They want us to stifle our industrial out put and be subject to international environmental regulations that they are not subject to.

The article I linked to shows that most of the pollution in the ocean comes from the Yangtze river and other Asian rivers, but due to "pollution in the ocean" I can't get my groceries in a plastic bag anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    ...we need to adjust the cow's diet.
    Well, no.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Because.

User Tag List