Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HK P30SK

Site Supporter
    Rj's chart shows that the P30SK is heavy. Too heavy for me when compared to the others meaning it would not satisfy my requirement. I will continue to be well served with my CZ PCR, Glock 26, Shield and J frame. I have owned and shot a P2000 Lem in 357 Sig for years. It serves house duty. Switching from defense to plinking and fooling around out doors, I think I will send one of my CZ's to Cajun Gun Works and blow $500 on custom work. Then I will have a customized and accurate pistol with which to shoot dirt clods and stumps. After it passes a 500-1000 stump duty test, then it will be Number One in the stable. I will carry it.

the LEM is my idea of a street trigger
    That's why they call it a LEM.

We don't really want shoot you but if you really need to be shot we can do that.

Personally I think the concept is a good one. 8 lb triggers suck.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-05-2021 at 08:36 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by DEG View Post
    I’ve owned two. One was a V3 and the other a V2. I remember them being typical HK solid quality pistols that also had the benefit of using the same mags and sights as the P30/VP9. They were slightly more difficult to work on compared to the P30 due to an extra drop safety pin near the extractor, but otherwise used the same springs and parts as the P30 if I remember correctly.

I wanted to like them, but couldn’t get over a few things to really give them a fair shot: 1) the size/weight to capacity; 2) what I perceived as excessive movement under recoil that I didn’t control very well; and 3) a nearly impossible DA pull weight on the V3 (not applicable to the V2).

The first two items are common with HKs in my unprofessional experience. The way I viewed it was if you love HKs, you decide to accept them as features. The last item of DA trigger weight didn’t have a solution I could find, such as a reduced power hammer spring. I wasn’t willing to mess with cutting a factory spring down on what was going to be a carry pistol.

The V2 LEM had all the trigger/hammer benefits and challenges of the larger P30 version, without the shooting comfort. If you love P30s and the LEM though, I can’t see why it wouldn’t be a great choice. In that case, the V3 is a good choice if you want to experience the DA/SA with an option to move it to LEM when or if desired.

If the Glock 19 would have stayed stuck in Gen4; if the SCD wasn’t a thing; and if I wasn’t hooked on optics, then I probably would be carrying an LEM version of P30/P2000sk based on the quality, safety and reliability of the design.
    Amazing write up and you are right on with everything.

For me: P30SK: Too big, DA too heavy and little one could do about it. But solidly built.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    ...but last steel shoot I had average M level runs, and missed a GM level run by .04 seconds with a sub compact LEM.
    Impressive. I don't shoot mine nearly that well, but that's an issue with the operator, not the equipment.

Site Supporter
    Late to reply, but I have a V3 with a very heavy DA pull. SA is decent. I've only put a few hundred rounds through the gun and none with a timer. I bought the gun new off Gunbroker for less than $450 a few years back. I like it, but not enough to vet and carry it instead of my Glock 19. I don't think I'd buy one at current prices just to satisfy my curiosity.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Late to reply, but I have a V3 with a very heavy DA pull. SA is decent. I've only put a few hundred rounds through the gun and none with a timer. I bought the gun new off Gunbroker for less than $450 a few years back. I like it, but not enough to vet and carry it instead of my Glock 19. I don't think I'd buy one at current prices just to satisfy my curiosity.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    A LNIB V3 is listed on Bayou Shooter.

Site Supporter
    "the double action pull weight is much lighter than those seen last year."

this is true in my experience as well

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Just to add some data to my comment about "weight", I've been curious enough to keep track of how many ounces per round you have to carry around with all the different guns I've owned since 2013 as an objective measure. A snip out of my spreadsheet is below.

The P30SK is near the bottom.

Attachment 72397
    Note that HK magazine capacity for the VP9/P30 is now 17 rounds. A loaded VP9 weighs 33.1 ounces, yielding a score of 1.83 oz/round (33.1/18). This fact moves the VP9 to the number one position in your chart. Additionally, the HK P30 weighs slightly less than the VP9 by about a tenth of an ounce, so the P30 would be top dog here.
    Last edited by MasterBlaster; 06-06-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Just to add some data to my comment about "weight", I've been curious enough to keep track of how many ounces per round you have to carry around with all the different guns I've owned since 2013 as an objective measure. A snip out of my spreadsheet is below.
    Was this based on 115 gr, 124 gr, 135 gr, or 147 gr 9mm, and was it consistently the same type of ammo across all guns? (For a 17-round mag gun loaded 17+1, you'd be looking at ~1.25 ounces difference between 115 gr bullets and 147 gr bullets, for example.)

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Was this based on 115 gr, 124 gr, 135 gr, or 147 gr 9mm, and was it consistently the same type of ammo across all guns? (For a 17-round mag gun loaded 17+1, you'd be looking at ~1.25 ounces difference between 115 gr bullets and 147 gr bullets, for example.)
    Generally, "published" weight of gun+magazine, plus mag capacity+1 times 0.439 oz per round. I don't recall where I got the 0.439 (it has been a while), but I think it was an average of carry ammo (which would have been Fed 147 gr HST at the time). I'd be happy if someone has better actual data for carry ammo...Obviously this neglects the holster.

From the standpoint of the thread, I think the take away is that for a carry gun, it's a consideration (but not the only consideration) as to how efficient a gun is, in terms of weight. The less weight you have to carry, per round, the more efficient the gun is. A lighter gun, ceteris paribus, will be more comfortable.

These days I carry a gadget equipped Glock 48 and attempt to compete with a Glock 34. At the same 10+1 as a Glock 26, I find the 48 to fit my grip better while shooting, and being flatter carries much easier in a Dark Star Hitchiker AIWB (having lost 30 lbs recently helps enormously carrying AIWB, I have to say.) Loaded, I find the G48 to be extremely well balanced. On the minus side it seems to be ammo sensitive, as the GD124+ps don't want to run on mine (milled for a Holosun 507k) so I use Federal HST 147s, which seem to be ok.

I've tried stuffing the Glock 34 down my pants and aside from the printing in my gentleman area (Phrasing!) it is a little long for my shorter frame (I am 5'6"). Bending over was problematic. A G45 in a G17 holster might be doable though. But another gun involves another round of expense. I'm waiting for an order from Shield Arms for a pair of their Gen 2 S15 mags and steel mag catch. They just dropped the Gen 2's on 5/28. A G48 carrying 15+1 would be pretty attractive, at 1.71 oz/round, and would be near the top of the chart (less the G43X, which would come in number one at 1.61 oz/round) if it's reliable.

That being said, and as most here know, carry weight per ounce is just one of many factors involved in making a decision on carry choice. I waited for the Gen 5 SCD to be released and happily sold my HK VP9 and P30SK LEM for a Glock 19 and 26 in 2017. So it's much more than just weight. In posting my chart I was just trying to help @willie with some objective data to make an informed decision, not to sway any opinions. My HKs never gave me any trouble. They are reliable, accurate, well made firearms. If they made a VP9c that used the original 13 round USPc magazines, at 5.0" grip length, I would probably still be shooting HKs. Adding +2 to the P30/VP9 mags is something they should have done long ago; I'm not sure why it took them so long. But HK is going to HK, I guess.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-07-2021 at 07:30 AM.

User Tag List