Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody heard anything about new MR88s from Beretta?

Anybody heard anything about new MR88s from Beretta?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...+.357+.38+da+4

Happened to be browsing Buds when I saw they had multiple listings for MR88s as reserve items. Does this mean Beretta is planning on bringing in these along with the MR73s?

The price shown is higher than than the MR 73. I had one of the used MR 88 imported a few years ago. The gun was solid trigger pull was like the Ruger it was based on but not like the MR 73.

I'ma thinking I'll just stick with my Security Six....

I can somewhat justify the coin for a MR73, but that kind of money for a MR88 versus a nice Security/Service/Speed Six is just a bit gonzo, in my opinion.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by R89074 View Post
    The price shown is higher than than the MR 73. I had one of the used MR 88 imported a few years ago. The gun was solid trigger pull was like the Ruger it was based on but not like the MR 73.
    Its actually the same price they show for all the MR73 models as well. I think it is just a placeholder. They are showing reserve, not in stock. They are also showing MR73 models that are not on Berettas US sight. Back on the MR88, they don't show up on the Beretta US site, but they do on the Australian site. Where they are about $2000 less the the MR73(about 1/2). If that tracked for eventual US versions, the actual price would be around $2000 for the MR88. Still costly, but in the range of the new Pythons.

I'm curious if those grips would fit a Security Six, and if they would be available separately from Beretta....

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Its actually the same price they show for all the MR73 models as well. I think it is just a placeholder. They are showing reserve, not in stock. They are also showing MR73 models that are not on Berettas US sight. Back on the MR88, they don't show up on the Beretta US site, but they do on the Australian site. Where they are about $2000 less the the MR73(about 1/2). If that tracked for eventual US versions, the actual price would be around $2000 for the MR88. Still costly, but in the range of the new Pythons.

I'm curious if those grips would fit a Security Six, and if they would be available separately from Beretta....
    The grips are Trausch MR84, and are designed for a round-butt frame. The late Jacques Trausch personally modified mine for my square-butt Security Six, which essentially involves making a cut in the back bottom area of the grips, creating a window for the square butt bottom to protrude.

So-these grips as is are likely to fit a Speed Six and a round-butt Service Six, but not a Security Six unless modified. But the modification isn't difficult.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

I can't wrap my head around paying 4k for a French Security Six

I love my surplus MR88 so much. I run that gun every opportunity I get. Great shooter that feels as if it is built the same way they build tanks and battleships, but is concealable, shootable, and easy to carry. If I only had one non-snub revolver, it would be this gun.

And the thought of paying more than $1k for one is utterly ridiculous.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

P-F member Michael Zeleney is probably the most knowledgeable about the Manurhin/Manurhin-Ruger revolvers. Hopefully he'll chime in on the thread. My take is that essentially, the French wanted a less expensive variant of the MR73 for more general police issue; apparently the MR73 was to be reserved for more specialized/heavily trained units like GIGN, where the new/decontented revolvers for more general issue.

The French, being French, apparently weren't content with leaving good enough (the Ruger Security/Service/Speed Six) alone, so they entered a joint venture with Ruger, where Manurhin would make the barrels and cylinders, and Ruger the rest (essentially); grips were primarily Trausch TJ84 rubber grips. The early variant was called the F1, and later one MR88. I believe the MR88 was wholly made in France by Manurhin, presumably with some licensing from Ruger. I believe that the MR88 also uses a sideplate as opposed to the removable triggerguard for accessing internals during detailed disassembly.

I've never owned or handled either a F1 or a MR88, but other than assuaging national pride, I'm pretty skeptical of the F1/MR88 juice being worth the squeeze over a Ruger -Six. While incrementally the steels used in the barrel and cylinder might be "better" than the castings used for the -Six guns, I doubt that there were significant benefits derived from a practical use standpoint. The Ruger -Six guns have been shown to be quite accurate and durable and reliable. And personally I much prefer the removable triggerguard method of detailed disassembly than a removable sideplate.

Please don't misunderstand-I'm sure that the F1 and MR88 revolvers are excellent, and at least as good as comparable Ruger -Six revolvers. Value-wise, however, I'd likely be quite satisfied these days if shopping for a quality revolver with a used -Six compared to a new MR88, especially if the -Six had been maintained and not abused. Especially at $4,000 for a new MR88, but even if they do come in at $2,000, I think that's still quite excessive for what you're getting.

Historically, eventually the F1/MR88 was replaced in French service by the SIG-Sauer SP2022 and Ruger SP101; I think the Beretta 92 variant(s) adopted for French service were dedicated solely to French military use; however I don't doubt that there are probably some of the earlier F1/MR88 revolvers still in French organizational service or reserve.

A MR73, on the other hand, is a significantly superior revolver, and I think well worth its tariff for those appreciating its features and quality of construction, fit and finish.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

edit: belay my last, deleted.

Related thread, sorry, did not see it was MR88 vs MR73:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....MR73-revolvers
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I hope Beretta offers some snubbie MR73s!!

User Tag List