Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not really a revolver, derringer Cosplay

Site Supporter

Not really a revolver, derringer Cosplay

Hey, there's no derringer forum. Anyway, in the category of just because guns, I always wanted a derringer. No, not a practical EDC, just because. I had hope for the Iver Johnson 4 barrel Sharps which they promised at every Shot Show lately it seems. However, I didn't see PR for it at this one - so it's a vapor gun? I though the Bond guns are well but too big just for my pseudo Yancy Derringer fantasy. However, their Stubby calls to me but I haven't seen one for sale. It comes in 22 LR, 9mm and 380. I thought 380 would be a decent choice with a milder load.

Again, I totally understand all the arguments against them for significant carry. I'm not going to be in a battleship turret in a sinking ship and need a suicide piece - as Remingtons were supposedly carried in WWII. Nor am I Paladin with one being my belt buckle.

Wonder when they will be out in the market? I can put in my vest pocket like Yancy. PS, I used to like Mahoney till Sally Field said he was an abusive step father. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Hey, there's no derringer forum. Anyway, in the category of just because guns, I always wanted a derringer. No, not a practical EDC, just because. I had hope for the Iver Johnson 4 barrel Sharps which they promised at every Shot Show lately it seems. However, I didn't see PR for it at this one - so it's a vapor gun? I though the Bond guns are well but too big just for my pseudo Yancy Derringer fantasy. However, their Stubby calls to me but I haven't seen one for sale. It comes in 22 LR, 9mm and 380. I thought 380 would be a decent choice with a milder load.

Again, I totally understand all the arguments against them for significant carry. I'm not going to be in a battleship turret in a sinking ship and need a suicide piece - as Remingtons were supposedly carried in WWII. Nor am I Paladin with one being my belt buckle.

Wonder when they will be out in the market? I can put in my vest pocket like Yancy. PS, I used to like Mahoney till Sally Field said he was an abusive step father. Sigh.
    Just so you do your derringer CosPlay over on your coast where you can't shoot me with an ND when you drop it.

I knew an older lady who always used to carry a .45 derringer loose in her purse. One day, the gun fell out of the purse at home and tumbled across the floor near where her husband was standing. It was fully cocked. He confiscated the gun after a heated argument.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My brother had the Bond 45/410 long barreled one. Sort of a 2 shot pre-Judge. Tiny grip, heavy hammer spring, tiny trigger, whats not to like?

Looking at the current offerings, they have to have the most laughable names ever.
    https://www.bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns/?shopby=56

Papa Bear, Snake Slayer IV, Rowdy, Z Slayer, Old Glory Black???
    The 6" "Texan" seems to be named appropriately.

These new ones seem to have trigger guards, the old ones had none.

I had a High Standard 22 mag, could never hit anything with it. I should have bought the wallet holster and registered it as an AOW for $5. NFA cool from way back when.

Gringop
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    Friend of mine had one that he carried when he rode his motorcycle. Shot a rattler with it.

Just a because toy, so to speak. Like the Pedersoli double barrel 45/410 - why? Just because.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Just so you do your derringer CosPlay over on your coast where you can't shoot me with an ND when you drop it.

I knew an older lady who always used to carry a .45 derringer loose in her purse. One day, the gun fell out of the purse at home and tumbled across the floor near where her husband was standing. It was fully cocked. He confiscated the gun after a heated argument.
    A lifetime ago I worked in a pawnshop. We had an idiot clerk who loved to dry fire everything that came out for sale without clearing it first. One day a Bond Arms .45 ACP was on the pull for sale list. I popped it open and a pair hollowpoints dropped out. Whoever took it in didn’t clear it like they were supposed to. I called idiot clerk back for a teachable moment but still couldn’t get him to understand.🤦🏻*♂️
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I guess these ridiculous pieces of shit are now “collectible” or something.

Name:  4163A2DE-BB71-4954-8CBB-24421788ED84.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  35.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Those were supposedly horrible. The only use for them was for concealed EDC on Battlestar Galactica. The standard sidearm was a FN 5.7, IIRC.

Site Supporter
    The very few people I know who own and use derringers prefer Bond Arms. If I understand correctly, the rebounding hammer of these derringer, which automatically retracts to half cock after each shot, makes these guns drop safe. I have never ha th4e chance to shoot one.

I had a High Standard .22 WMR. Perhaps our standards of accuracy for a derringer are different, mine was pretty good at traditional gambler ranges, better than the Remington pattern Great Western I had for CAS.
    It benefited from the Smoke Em Joe Technique, forefinger along the barrels, firing with the middle finger. DA as good as a nice revolver. Good and flat, too. I traded it off when I realized I was counting on defending myself with two shots.

There was a case here reported as a dropped Remington type derringer firing on impact and wounding a person. Which is a real risk, the sear pin is small, easily bent or sheared, and the heavy butt makes it likely to land muzzle up if dropped.

I got to shoot a COP a little, many years ago. Wadcutters had more kick than I expected, .38 ball was unpleasant, and keyholed on the target to boot. .357 was brutal and painful, one shot was enough.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Enjoy!

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List