Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ADVICE ON WHAT TO SELL OR KEEP

ADVICE ON WHAT TO SELL OR KEEP

I am looking at some unanticipated truck expenses. I am going to sell some firearms.
    If possible I want to sell guns in high demand now whose prices will likely drop later.
    Any general guidelines ?

Possible sales:
    Ruger Super Alaskan 2.5" .454,
    Ruger Wiley Clapp 3" SS GP100 .357,
    HK Mark 23 Maritime finish,
    HK Mark 23,
    S&W # 27 3.5",
    S&W #58.41 Magnum & spare barrel
    Various Gen 3 Glock 21,30, 17,19,
    HK P30 LEM 9mm,
    HK45.

FALs.

Primary carry guns are HK USP LEM .45ACP and 9mm. The USPs I will keep.

Thanks.
    Last edited by 1slow; 06-02-2021 at 11:57 PM.

Stick to the H&K's if you really like them.

The Glocks would probably go pretty quick, especially the 9mms.
    The FAL's likewise.

The .357's would probably be best to list here- I could imagine a lot of the revo coterie would be happy to have either.

The big bore revos may be a bit slower.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

It seems like good condition S&W revolvers are bringing a premium right now. The Ruger Alaskan could also be a hot ticket.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Part of this is, I would like to sell what is likely to drop in price and keep what will go up.

Also I will keep my carry choices.

The 'how' is the tricky bit.
    I tend to prefer finding a licensed gun shop, and letting them sell it on consignment- especially ones that are a bit low on stock. I won't get as much, but I won't have as much hassle with time wasters, possible straw buyers, and low ballers either.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Part of this is, I would like to sell what is likely to drop in price and keep what will go up.

Also I will keep my carry choices.
    The Glocks are the ones you want to sell- and soon.

Hold on to the revolvers.

If the FAL's are original FN, they'll just keep going up. If they're DSA, this is probably as good a time as any to sell them off.

It's worth spending a bit going around to your local gun shops and seeing what's on the shelves used, and what they're asking. You'll want to ask for just a bit lower than that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The Glocks are the ones you want to sell- and soon.

Hold on to the revolvers.

If the FAL's are original FN, they'll just keep going up. If they're DSA, this is probably as good a time as any to sell them off.

It's worth spending a bit going around to your local gun shops and seeing what's on the shelves used, and what they're asking. You'll want to ask for just a bit lower than that.
    This.

I read your list from the perspective of a potential consumer browsing at a shop. For an educated consumer (me) with what I have on hand already, I’d hesitate to buy anything right now, especially a gen 3 Glock, b/c the price is likely to be higher than I’d want to pay, and I expect prices to level out and even come down a bit in the next 12-18 months. If I had no basic defense pistol, I’d grab any or all of the ones listed happily, though, even at the somewhat inflated prices I’ve been seeing in shops and advertised, and that’s where a lot of people are shopping from right now. People want a Glock, if they can get one, and some shops don’t have near the Glock inventory they usually carry, so you could move them and get some cash fairly quickly.

The S&W 27 & 58 will probably go up in value, long-term. The 27 will get more attention and probably sell fastest of the non-GLOCKs in your inventory, if you need to supplement what you get from them.

The 3” Wiley Clapp is pretty popular, I’d buy one if the price was right. It’d probably sell here pretty easily. I’ve been super tempted by the Alaskan a time or two, though my “need” for such a thing is small, and the debate between .44 Magnum and .454 is always running in the background whenever I think about it. A basically indestructible revolver that will run anything from cowboy action .45 Schofields to nuclear rhino rollers is quite an interesting piece, and here I am tempting myself again. LOL! At the right price, that one will move, too.

The H&Ks: an LEM P30 9mm might be good for anywhere because basic 9mm defense pistol, or here to sell to an LEM curious or LEM committed shooter looking for a spare. HK45 would be a great item to sell here, priced right, because it can be the basic defense pistol and fill the field pistol running .45 Super, too, a la GJM, but it’d have to be the right purchaser to move quick.

When you financially recover, would you try and buy any of them back? Don't sell those!

The first time I bought a nice O/U shotgun, at a time when I happened to be "between opportunities", I sold everything that wasn't EXACTLY what I wanted. Like if I wanted a 6" instead of a 4", or vice versa. Worked out well, in some cases I bought back in, some not.

The next time I wanted a nice O/U (20g this time...) I realized i was shooting an M&P every weekend, and a bunch of Glocks were in the safe. I say sell those, you can probably do that by just pitting the word out among friends and family. You can get some value out of their accessories also.

Maximizing value is great, but IMO cull from whatever you would be least likely buy back. Everything is high value right now anyway.

ETA: Some of your more valuable stuff might be those two S&W recolvers, but those two you have might be damn near irreplaceable, decide accordingly.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 06-03-2021 at 06:19 AM.

On the HK Mark 23, we all know those can go for crazy prices in normal times. IF you can let them go, those two would certainly put a large chunk of change in your pocket. While they have continued to climb in value, they are such a niche product, in my opiniion.

Glocks are universal, folks know what they are, and should sell very easily, and probably for a premium if the local shop is low on inventory. How many own multiple copies already, and want more?
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    I am a Glock Fan, they are what I like to shoot. With that being said I would sell the Glocks first. Sell them with 1 magazine and keep the rest of the mags. When you have the money you can replace them with Gen 5's and the mags you kept will work in them.

User Tag List