Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanto

Tanto

Not a knife expert or sophisticate and soliciting recommendations for available Tanto style fixed blade. Focus on functionality and durability and not a collectible knife and associated silly pricing. Will pay for quality though. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Not a knife expert or sophisticate and soliciting recommendations for available Tanto style fixed blade. Focus on functionality and durability and not a collectible knife and associated silly pricing. Will pay for quality though. Thanks.
    What kind of functionality are you looking for? As a defensive knife or for utility?

Tantos are not the most utilitarian pattern...(at least what is commonly known as a tanto here, which is not a traditional tanto as the Japanese originally designed them).

I guess you should also add what type of carry you are interested in and blade size as well.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Thanks Blues. I was hoping you'd chime in. Purely a defensive carry blade. Not for cutting anything otherwise. Size would be concealable bordering on longer blade length. Hope that makes sense. I envision belt carry of some type, but not adamant on vertical vs horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Thanks Blues. I was hoping you'd chime in. Purely a defensive carry blade. Not for cutting anything otherwise. Size would be concealable bordering on longer blade length. Hope that makes sense. I envision belt carry of some type, but not adamant on vertical vs horizontal.
    I'll let our resident defensive knife folks answer as that is not something I am well versed in. I keep it simple, rarely carry a knife dedicated to defense, and when I do, it's the @SouthNarc push dagger (because I can legally carry as a retired LEO in my state).

You'll get some good info now that we have a better idea what you seek.

The Burnley Obake by CRKT

Somewhat small, multi-use (you'll find yourself doing more work than fighting and I personally won't carry a knife that I can't do light work with) but can work very well for self defense. It's inexpensive but my example is quite well made and very sharp. The style is traditional Japanese tanto and looks good too :-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Tantos vary from Strider's DB, DBL 1/4" CPM 3V sharp prybars to James Williams pointy stabbers.

The Striders are pocket demolition tools designed with Darryl Bolke, hence DB. As close to unbreakable as is possible and still cut.

James Williams designs penetrate very well.

In a custom I would look at Ben Tendick, or Joe Williams.

I really like the DB style handle for edge in, edge out, forward grip, reverse grip. Strider's DB, DBL and Watsons HiTS have this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

Somewhat small, multi-use (you'll find yourself doing more work than fighting and I personally won't carry a knife that I can't do light work with) but can work very well for self defense. It's inexpensive but my example is quite well made and very sharp. The style is traditional Japanese tanto and looks good too :-)
    I have one of those, and like it. I got it for a few bucks from a used knife box at the local knife shop. Had some edge damage, but that was easily fixed. I have carried it, and it will do for a lot of chores.

My EDC pocket knife for close to two decades is a Chris Reeve Small Sebenza with the tanto blade. This is a utility knife, not a weapon, for me. It gets to open a lot of boxes and occasionally strip wire insulation. It also has cut PCB traces. It has even been pressed into service as a dinner utensil. What I like about it is probably what makes it less useful for most. I typically use the point of the blade and the small portion of the blade adjacent to the point and rarely use the portion of the edge parallel to the scales except for slicing tape. The point and adjacent edge are excellent for getting into things and for tasks that involve fine motor control. The main portion of the blade is much harder to use for most tasks due to the total lack of curve (belly).

As far as quality, it is hard to beat Chris Reeve's products. The knives are not inexpensive but I believe the value proposition is there. More than once, people have commented on how sharp that tanto blade is. I regularly strop it but it has not been properly sharpened in years. One of these days I will send it back to Chris Reeve for the "spa service".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by farscott; 06-03-2021 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

Cool knife, @Wondering Beard

Very similar to the knife that master smith Wally Hayes made for me many years ago. (My first master smith knife. He decided to surprise me after calling me up and asking if it was okay if he made me something he thought I'd like, rather than what I'd originally ordered.)

It's a bit large for carrying as a neck knife, but is otherwise amazing in most every respect.

Name:  Hayes2.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  31.0 KB

(And yes, a fine example of a true Japanese tanto style blade.)

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Western or Japanese tanto?

That is a very important detail. If Western/American then Emerson is the original and gold standard. The CQC-7 is available in a fixed blade. Strider tantos are overbuilt and extremely cool, but expensive and harder to find depending upon your preferred model. Williams Blade Design makes arguably the coolest fusion of modern designs and materials with classic Japanese Tanto designs. There is also an infinite amount of smaller/lesser-known makers who will make you a small EDC tanto fixed blade.

Boker and CRKT have made a lot of different fixed blade EDC knives with tanto blades that are very affordable. Quality is okay for what it is, but expect them to be overseas production. Buck Knives also did a run of knives designed by Strider years ago. These blades are really cool and had modern Western tanto designs. They pop up on eBay pretty regularly.

If you are interested in a custom belt knife message me and I can try and help.

User Tag List