Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My friend at the LNGS calls this work of art "Almost."

Back in the 1970s there was a guy who had a handgun barrel relining business. Seemed to be all he did.
    For bulged barrels, I gather he had a roller press to level out the outside, then reline it. Price a lot less than a new barrel.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Hi-point is probably more durable and reliable. Ooops, I said it. Back in the day, none of the Python-carrying dudes i worked with were gunfighter-types. Polished cowboy boots and ridiculous mustaches, looked good with a bling Python in uniform, but not so good as a duty weapon.
    That was my experience as well. A Python was my ultimate grail revolver, until I bought one.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

They all copper jacketed? If they're lead, why not heat up the barrel and pour the slag out? I mean it's potentially trashed. But lead melts at 622-degrees and that's maybe enough to screw up the temper on a hardened barrel, but it could potentially be re-tempered in a heat treat oven.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    622F shouldn't anneal steel.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    They all copper jacketed? If they're lead, why not heat up the barrel and pour the slag out? I mean it's potentially trashed. But lead melts at 622-degrees and that's maybe enough to screw up the temper on a hardened barrel, but it could potentially be re-tempered in a heat treat oven.
    Stuck lead bullets glide eaaasily down the barrel... I would never heat up the gun to get rid of them

Jacketed ones, it depends...

I would use the method with the wooden rod, IME works well

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Dunno, looks like a plated wadcutter.

After some more information, the real question is why the Python owner had PURCHASED these sketchy reloads when he has the $$$ to pick up another Python and not stress about it.

My LNGS has looked into manufacturing ammo (worse paperwork than a class 3, which they are pursuing), so they were able to explain the legal issues to him quite thoroughly.

LNGS seems inappropriate for my smith. Pretty soon he's going to be the local AR assembler.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    That was my experience as well. A Python was my ultimate grail revolver, until I bought one.
    You didn't like it?

Thanks brother I'm cured!

Well, that and seeing this derp.

I have shot a Python once, but I was 15 and had no taste. But I was surprised, because I was expecting something much more impressive than a well-worn Highway Patrolman from the rental range. It didn't seem any better to 15 year old me.

Ricky is contemptuous of current Pythons after doing a trigger job on one.

Of course, his logic is "give me a Ruger/Smith and I can beat that trigger. And you will spend much less money."

Which is probably true.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    You didn't like it?

Thanks brother I'm cured!

Well, that and seeing this derp.

I have shot a Python once, but I was 15 and had no taste. But I was surprised, because I was expecting something much more impressive than a well-worn Highway Patrolman from the rental range. It didn't seem any better to 15 year old me.

Ricky is contemptuous of current Pythons after doing a trigger job on one.

Of course, his logic is "give me a Ruger/Smith and I can beat that trigger. And you will spend much less money."

Which is probably true.
    It wasn't that I was disappointed as much as I was underwhelmed. I'd built up that Python mystique in my mind only to find it was pretty much just another sixgun. It was beautiful to look at and I only paid $350 for it in the early 90's when all revolvers were supposedly dead weight, so at least I didn't have a mint into it. It just didn't do anything my S&W M27 didn't and the latter needed less service, was cheaper to service when it did and had a better DA pull. I'd like to have another one just for reasons, but not at the current price point. If anything that gun put me in the S&W camp in terms of service revolvers and cured me of my blind Colt fanboyism.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    It wasn't that I was disappointed as much as I was underwhelmed. I'd built up that Python mystique in my mind only to find it was pretty much just another sixgun. It was beautiful to look at and I only paid $350 for it in the early 90's when all revolvers were supposedly dead weight, so at least I didn't have a mint into it. It just didn't do anything my S&W M27 didn't and the latter needed less service, was cheaper to service when it did and had a better DA pull. I'd like to have another one just for reasons, but not at the current price point. If anything that gun put me in the S&W camp in terms of service revolvers and cured me of my blind Colt fanboyism.
    Being the pure DA shooter I am, poorer DA is a fantasy killer. But you have renewed my M27 desires. 4"

Oh those gray, worn N-frames of youth. As Ms. Mitchell said "you don’t know what you've got till it's gone."

I am quite happy with my Trooper Mk.III as a pretty pony gun. I just need to get around to replacing the mainspring, which was designed for steroid abusers. And score much Remington .38 125 sjhp, which seems to be the only load that it likes. Hope the bullet is available for handloading again soon.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

My 4th or 5th gun was a 6" blued Python, and when I sold it about a year later, I didn't miss it a bit.
    But the S&W 6" 28-2 I bought just before the Python, I missed that from the second I sold it. I wanted another one for a very long time.
    I finally got another 6" 28-2, and then I bought 2 4" ones. I don't want a Python again, old or new, unless it's just stupid cheap, so I could flip it.

User Tag List