Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SAO versions of TDA pistols, why?

If you mean "why an SAO cz75/226/etc vs a 1911"?
    1. Retain most/all the "easy to shoot well" characteristics of a 1911. You get a consistently short light trigger press, plus the safety of a manual safety.
    2. More reliable and durable than a 1911, especially one in close to the same price range.
    3. Double the capacity of a 1911.
    4. Much less expensive than a comparably reliable 2011.
    5. Much cheaper mags/parts vs 2011, aftermarket parts more likely to just drop in.
    6. High volume Competition shooting where the above benefits become very noticable, especially if you dont have the coin for a pair of 2011s plus mags.

If you mean "why an SAO P226 vs a TDA P226" (or insert other TDA gun)
    1. Easier to learn to shoot well since no DA pull. This is arguable, but certainly easier to shoot with minimal proficiency because no DA pull.
    2. Some might feel safer w/ a manual safety vs a decocked gun.

I know this wasn't your question, but if "why SAO P226/cz75/etc vs SAO striker with safety such as M17 or M&P"
    1. Cleaner and probably shorter/lighter trigger press.
    2. Subjectively enjoying the feel of a metal frame or a hammer over a striker.
    3. Ability to ride hammer when reholstering.

Btw not saying the above reasons are necessarily true, just that they are possible answers to someone's Why. I used to run TDA based platforms cocked/locked for some of the above reasons, now all my serious guns are TDA W/ decockers or some kind of DAO.

One other reason for people with short fingers/small hands is the reduced trigger reach possible with a SAO version of a DA/SA pistol. For example, my hands do not work with the S&W 4506. But the 945 SAO version, which really was developed from the 745/845, fits my hands just fine. The 945 combined the trigger of the 1911 with the feed reliability of a 3rd Generation S&W. In many ways, it was a product-improved 1911.

I imagine most of the CZ versions have a Limited/Open focus.

The P226/P229 SAO doesn't seem marketed to the competition crowd. I wonder if it's just an easy SKU to create. I dunno.
    David S.

One could also make the point that a SAO CZ 75 is pretty close to a modernized High Power, especially now that FN isn't making them.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    It's not that bad. My record is 720 rounds over a day-and-a-half class. Going to a thousand wouldn't have been an issue.

I'm considering having my pair of CZ-75Bs converted to SAO, though it's a low priority at this time. I really dislike having to manually decock them, which would be pretty stressful after a self-defense shooting. Yeah, I know I could just engage the safety, and that was the plan, but I didn't like it. If I decided to start carrying SAO, I'd have two vetted, reliable, accurate guns that would basically be updated BHPs with good repair parts availability. I'm still doing fine with DA, though, so I don't see that happening too soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    One could also make the point that a SAO CZ 75 is pretty close to a modernized High Power, especially now that FN isn't making them.
    Umm, well...

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I’m asking this partly to understand the draw and partly for someone to tell me it’s stupid and talk me out of looking for something like a SAO CZ or 226, etc.

Is it something that came about to make it easier for a 1911 shooter to transition to another platform? Is it a competition thing? Just a personal preference for one trigger pull to learn/remain proficient with?
    Well, I’d say the manufacturers make them because there’s enough demand out there to justify it. I’m sure in the CZ case it’s probably got some competition background because they’re kinda like the 1911 in Europe. Add in the fact that here in the States there’s a lot of “DA/SA SuX!!! Hur-Dur!” mentality and it’s marketable here.

For me personally:

I’ve shot DA/SA P226’s and SAO 226’s. I prefer the DA/SA in almost every way.

The SAO CZ-75 kind of appeals to me. I wrote off the CZ crunchentickers some time ago as carry guns (manual decocking on most models, hate the CZ decockers on the others), but to just have an affordable SAO 9mm range toy, the base CZ-75 in SAO is appealing. As noted by others, it’s a lot like a modernized Hi-Power. It’s more affordable than a good 9mm 1911 or 2011 (or even most of the 226s for that matter). It’s actually kind of a nice niche gun in theory.

The case for a SAO CZ75 is compelling for sure. If only Beretta would do a SAO 92 with a frame mounted safety...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    The SAO CZ-75 kind of appeals to me. I wrote off the CZ crunchentickers some time ago as carry guns (manual decocking on most models, hate the CZ decockers on the others), but to just have an affordable SAO 9mm range toy, the base CZ-75 in SAO is appealing. As noted by others, it’s a lot like a modernized Hi-Power. It’s more affordable than a good 9mm 1911 or 2011 (or even most of the 226s for that matter). It’s actually kind of a nice niche gun in theory.
    Yes, and the CZ 75 SAO models were ~$625 when they were available. An absolute steal.

They shared a frame with the CZ Shadow 1, so they could be accurized by one of the CZ custom shops. Specifically you can have a fixed bushing installed which tightens up the action.

I wish I got one before they were discontinued, along with a Phantom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The only CZ I’ve had was a 75 B SA. Great gun. If you like that sort of thing, I cannot come up with a reason to try to talk you out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    The case for a SAO CZ75 is compelling for sure. If only Beretta would do a SAO 92 with a frame mounted safety...
    Beretta does (or did) make SAO B92s over the years. Originally, they were reasonably priced, about 1.5 times normal retail for 92 FS for the 92 Combats. More recent models were in the $1500 to $2k range.

I’m on my phone and can’t look them up, but the models (from memory) were the Combat, Stock, Billenium, Centennial, and Steel I. Plus the First Models with the Taurus-style safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List