Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI agent arrested in shooting

I'm gonna wait until I have some more facts before I crucify him or hail him as a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    For those of you not in major metropolitan areas, just as background, many "aggressive panhandlers" are really strong-armed robbers.
    This ^^^

I used to go to MBL in Seattle in the 80's. Same shit, aggressive pan handling, or how would you like to get hurt over a few bucks. I don't think I would, how would you like to die over a few bucks.

Eventually I moved away from the hassle but I know a lot of people have to deal with it on public transportation. Guy chose the wrong pigeon and got ventilated, cry me a river. Probably should have paid attention to the court order. Bernhard Goetz comes to mind.

I'm in the agents corner on this one, as much as I think the feds are a bunch of ass hats. No offense to anyone here because I don't know you.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-01-2021 at 08:37 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I used to ride the DC metro daily, and so did my daughter. There are a lot of mentally ill and criminals in and around the metro system, including on trains and in and around the stations. That should be a surprise to nobody. There were almost weekly (daily?) stories of sexual assaults, vandals, scammers, robbers, fights, perverts, crappers, drunks, fare evaders, masturbators, gangs of kids, car thieves, and weed smokers in the stations and the trains. I was always nervous on certain routes and at certain stations. Again, probably no different than any other subway system.

Anybody remember Bernie Goetz?

ETA: I noticed that the agent is being prosecuted in Montgomery County. That is a pretty liberal county, which may (or may not) have something to do with this.

Let’s keep this technical and not GD.
    #RESIST

from my perspective this may indeed, as many are likely to say be 'a good shoot' but taken in the light of all the circumstances reported in the brief story, I am not particularly surprised to see it charged - wouldn't have been surprised several years ago for that matter.

from what i read the subject who was shot didn't display a weapon. there could be numerous factors which might justify the agent firing to protect himself against an unarmed attack. we don't know which, if any, of those boxes were checked.

a grand jury indicted him, and hopefully the system works and the rule of law will insure a just verdict. i also hope the agent involved weathers this storm of uncertainty.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Wonder if this wasn't a good time for some OC.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Words matter.

"Fellow passenger" paints a picture that they were on the same team traveling to a common destination rather than two people who just happened upon each other.

"Asked for money" means something entirely different than "demanded many". Which did he do?

If the article is accurate in its account that shootee was walking away and turned back to reengage after a "Watch your mouth" comment, there is a lesson to be learned from that. If dude is walking away, just let him go.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    For those of you not in major metropolitan areas, just as background, many "aggressive panhandlers" are really strong-armed robbers.
    Indeed. I persuaded an aggressive “guy asking for money” to move on once. How aggressive? I was moving stuff into the trunk, and the street dude timed it, and tried to climb into the back seat of my Hyundai Elantra with me while his buddy kept overwatch, with his back to us shielding us from view. How persuasive? An Emerson folder was involved.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Indeed. I persuaded an aggressive “guy asking for money” to move on once. How aggressive? I was moving stuff into the trunk, and the street dude timed it, and tried to climb into the back seat of my Hyundai Elantra with me while his buddy kept overwatch, with his back to us shielding us from view. How persuasive? An Emerson folder was involved.
    I’ve deployed the persuasively phrased “STOP” with left hand palm out, right hand relaxed but positioned for appropriate action (a continuum from dialing 911 to deploying OC to… more options) and head on a swivel for potential “friends” more than once, when appropriate.

It might make me look like an Adam Henry to a casual Karen onlooker, but it has always been 100% successful in persuading the goblins to rethink their approach.

One of these more memorable incidents was late at night at a remote, poorly lit gas station on a 600-mile drive back from a Gunsite 499 on an April night in 2004, still dressed as one might expect after a week at Gunsite, fresh from winning the class shoot off, and my head still full of actual (as opposed to second-hand) advice from Jeff Cooper himself, whom I had just spent an entire afternoon with, in his armory.

So, I might have had a bit of a smirk on my face too, wondering just how bad this person’s judgement really was.

I will say, a three-cell Surefire (maybe 200 lumens at the time) did confuse the individual in question somewhat effectively. Even then, he was a particularly aggressive sample, and I had to put a gas pump betwixt him and myself before he made a better choice, muttering off into the night.

And yes, I am not the type to issue a verbal re-invitation to re-engage after the ball has started rolling away. I can take yes for an answer, too.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 06-02-2021 at 10:16 AM.

User Tag List