Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: FBI agent arrested in shooting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    During execution of pre-planned operations so exactly zero relevance to the subject of this thread.

Speaking of which, all the discussion of OC and Batons is also irrelevant to an agent riding the metro on their way to work.

Regardless of agency very few plainclothes federal agents actually carry OC or batons on their person regularly. Most either have them on duty /tactical belts worn on ore-planned operations or keep them in a briefcase /EDC bag and throw them on for interviews or other contacts. That’s working in the field. Among HQ folks you’re lucky if they carry their gun.

As @TC215 Alluded to, the proactive nature of most federal LE work vs the reactive nature of patrol work makes body cams far less relevant.

Does the FBI still have a rule about taping interviews? It used to be forbidden.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Does the FBI still have a rule about taping interviews? It used to be forbidden.
    To my knowledge, it wasn’t forbidden, you had to have approval from the chief division counsel. Policy changed a few years ago and it’s not as restrictive as before.

Site Supporter
    DOJ made a hard turn toward recording all custodial interviews in late 2014.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/attor...onic-recording

It has been a matter of public record that in many areas of the country, particularly in the in the child exploitation context, all custodial and non custodial interviews of potential defendants, were routinely recorded beginning at least in that same time frame by FBI Special Agents and their deputized Task Force Officers.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    During execution of pre-planned operations so exactly zero relevance to the subject of this thread.

Speaking of which, all the discussion of OC and Batons is also irrelevant to an agent riding the metro on their way to work.

Regardless of agency very few plainclothes federal agents actually carry OC or batons on their person regularly. Most either have them on duty /tactical belts worn on ore-planned operations or keep them in a briefcase /EDC bag and throw them on for interviews or other contacts. That’s working in the field. Among HQ folks you’re lucky if they carry their gun.

As @TC215 Alluded to, the proactive nature of most federal LE work vs the reactive nature of patrol work makes body cams far less relevant.
    I bet 5 PF bucks, that within five years all local, state and federal LE officers will have body cams whenever they are carrying a duty weapon.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I bet 5 PF bucks, that within five years all local, state and federal LE officers will have body cams whenever they are carrying a duty weapon.
    You will lose due to the ALL qualifier.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    You are right, I should have said “most all!”
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    The word we are looking for is majority--- 50% +1.

I absolutely agree re GJM's timeline for uniformed personnel and non uniformed personnel during enforcement functions like search warrants and arrests.

Whether it is essentially if your are "on duty" with gun/badge then you are "on camera" for whole shift-we shall see.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Potentially dumb question from a non-LEO: Isn't part of the point of being plain clothes vs uniformed that you aren't always obviously some form of LEO? If so, wouldn't putting body cams on plain clothes LEOs defeat that purpose?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    That shows his ignorance of the differences between what patrol /first responders do and what investigators do.

User Tag List