Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: FBI agent arrested in shooting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Potentially dumb question from a non-LEO: Isn't part of the point of being plain clothes vs uniformed that you aren't always obviously some form of LEO? If so, wouldn't putting body cams on plain clothes LEOs defeat that purpose?
    Yes. Even in local departments which have used body cams on patrol for years most plainclothes investigators only wear body cams in situations where they would wear body armor - primarily arrest and pre-planned operations. Body cams can also have a negative effect on the willingness of victims, witnesses and third party sources of information to talk.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Does the FBI still have a rule about taping interviews? It used to be forbidden.
    No. As mentioned it’s mandatory for interviews of subjects in the custody of the FBI. For others it’s discretionary or SOP to overtly record depending on the type of case. Surreptitious recording of non custodial subjects is also allowed with appropriate approvals.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I bet 5 PF bucks, that within five years all local, state and federal LE officers will have body cams whenever they are carrying a duty weapon.
    Don't some agencies both require carrying off-duty and only allow carrying issued firearms? That would mean officers will have to wear a cam 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Don't some agencies both require carrying off-duty and only allow carrying issued firearms? That would mean officers will have to wear a cam 24/7.
    You think AG Garland or President Biden would consider that a problem?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Incidentally, that Jenny Durkan later became the (current) Mayor of Seattle.
    Yep.

She made it all the way to City Hall, then reaped her own whirlwind in the 2020 Summer of LoveTM. Unfortunately, all of Seattle reaped it with her.

May a pox be upon her.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Absolutely concur regarding the utility of less-lethal options. Quality OC spray is probably the most effective, but comes with exposing other officers and decontaminating the suspect. Of course, one can use gel like my current organization issues which almost certainly won't work. I elieve the first article I read on expandable batons was in "Police Magazine" (which may have been "Police Product News" at that time) which posited that an expandable baton may not be the best, but it was the baton you would have with you.

While the Axon Taser had great initial success, that faded rapidly as it became the first choice, go-to response-to-resistance option for many officers and agencies. The fifty to sixty percent success rate would be higher if it wasn't the first, lat, and only option for some officers. More realistic training would also improve its success, but the expense of training, if terms of cartridges, training or real world) would be prohibitive for many departments. (Of course, any department with an OIS after a failed Taser deployment could offer evidence otherwise.)

I am not one to wax poetically how the old ways were the best ways, but the sap was a weapon that was and should be a highly effective weapon, even in these litigious times. I suspect the problem with the sap is that it seemed "old school" and, more importantly, there were few training programs for it. If agencies issued the thing, provided specifications for it, and made it part of the force option program, I think the sap would be a very successful tool for police today.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Absolutely concur regarding the utility of less-lethal options. Quality OC spray is probably the most effective, but comes with exposing other officers and decontaminating the suspect. Of course, one can use gel like my current organization issues which almost certainly won't work. I elieve the first article I read on expandable batons was in "Police Magazine" (which may have been "Police Product News" at that time) which posited that an expandable baton may not be the best, but it was the baton you would have with you.

While the Axon Taser had great initial success, that faded rapidly as it became the first choice, go-to response-to-resistance option for many officers and agencies. The fifty to sixty percent success rate would be higher if it wasn't the first, lat, and only option for some officers. More realistic training would also improve its success, but the expense of training, if terms of cartridges, training or real world) would be prohibitive for many departments. (Of course, any department with an OIS after a failed Taser deployment could offer evidence otherwise.)

I am not one to wax poetically how the old ways were the best ways, but the sap was a weapon that was and should be a highly effective weapon, even in these litigious times. I suspect the problem with the sap is that it seemed "old school" and, more importantly, there were few training programs for it. If agencies issued the thing, provided specifications for it, and made it part of the force option program, I think the sap would be a very successful tool for police today.
    Good post, IMO. A lot of truth.

Reference the sap - I think a lot of the problems with the saps were that it seemed to be targeted to the head too often plus a lot of the sap 'toys' - palm saps and sap gloves - seemed to invite hits or slaps to the head.

JMO YMMV
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List