Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI agent arrested in shooting

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don’t know the particulars of this incident, but it seems like a common denominator of many “in the news cases” is use of a firearm against someone else that does not have a firearm. Today’s interpretation of self defense laws seems to be you are expected to be beaten within an inch of your life before using a firearm in self defense.
    I don't think beaten within an inch of your life before using a firearm in self defense is necessarily the case, howsomeever show me an agency policy or a state use of force statute (for events taking place outside your residence) that flat say 'get to shoot some one who is apparently unarmed with no actual physical contact.'

That seems to be the theme of this particular story. As I said earlier, we need to know more, because, I tell you from a justified LE use-of-force perspective, this seems to be approaching clownshoes:

Slaughter asked Valdivia for money and when Valdivia said that he didn't have any, Slaughter walked away spewing expletives, prosecutors said in court on Tuesday. Valdivia, who was promoted last year to a supervisory special agent, told Slaughter to watch his mouth. The FBI agent's response caused Slaughter to turn back around and get into Valdivia's face before two shots were fired, prosecutors said.

As I noted earlier, there seems to be some blanks left unfilled.

Also note, the judge OR'ed him.

Continuing the conversation, if we are advocating shoot on harsh talk, why do I see all these pictures of folks EDC loadout with asps, oc's, clinchpics, etc.?

Lethal force should be used when a person is faced with a force that a reasonable person would believe to be force likely to cause death or great bodily harm.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I don't think beaten within an inch of your life before using a firearm in self defense is necessarily the case, howsomeever show me an agency policy or a state use of force statute (for events taking place outside your residence) that flat say 'get to shoot some one who is apparently unarmed with no actual physical contact.'

That seems to be the theme of this particular story. As I said earlier, we need to know more, because, I tell you from a justified LE use-of-force perspective, this seems to be approaching clownshoes:

Slaughter asked Valdivia for money and when Valdivia said that he didn't have any, Slaughter walked away spewing expletives, prosecutors said in court on Tuesday. Valdivia, who was promoted last year to a supervisory special agent, told Slaughter to watch his mouth. The FBI agent's response caused Slaughter to turn back around and get into Valdivia's face before two shots were fired, prosecutors said.

As I noted earlier, there seems to be some blanks left unfilled.

Also note, the judge OR'ed him.

Continuing the conversation, if we are advocating shoot on harsh talk, why do I see all these pictures of folks EDC loadout with asps, oc's, clinchpics, etc.?

Lethal force should be used when a person is faced with a force that a reasonable person would believe to be force likely to cause death or great bodily harm.
    Good points, and I think the take away here is (not to judge but to learn in future circumstances) is what would have happened if he had ignored the expletives and not told him to watch his mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Good points, and I think the take away here is (not to judge but to learn in future circumstances) is what would have happened if he had ignored the expletives and not told him to watch his mouth?
    Definitely that. When your problem is leaving, let it leave.

The other thing is that if you ride to work in an enclosed metal tube, you need to plan for the limitations it imposes on you.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Going to show my lack of knowledge here. While I agree that it is often best to "keep one's mouth shut" (even if I struggle to do so), a DC subway is presumably federal jurisdiction as DC is a fed.gov location and the subway is fed.gov property. As a sworn fed.gov LEO, does the SSA have a duty to "keep the peace" or otherwise intervene in a situation that his training, judgement, and experience says is going to "go south"? While the SSA may never have met this individual, he may have met enough other individuals like him to form a judgement based on his training, judgment, and experience. And that informed his decision on how to proceed.

FBI agent arrested in shooting

Double tap.
    Last edited by trailrunner; 06-03-2021 at 05:38 AM.

I don’t think the metro is federal property. He was in Maryland when this happened and is being prosecuted by a Maryland county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    He was on the red line in Maryland at the time. He is being prosecuted by a county in Maryland, not DC or the Feds. I doubt that WMATA is any sort of federal agency. They have their own police force.

The CNN article suggested he was on a DC train with this.

An FBI agent who shot a fellow passenger onboard a Washington, DC, Metro train line in December was arrested on Tuesday for attempted murder, prosecutors announced.

The DC metro (more properly called WMATA, for Washington Metro Area Transit Authority) operates in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. The Bethesda Medical Center stop where this happened is in Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    The DC metro (more properly called WMATA, for Washington Metro Area Transit Authority) operates in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. The Bethesda Medical Center stop where this happened is in Maryland.

Remember what I said about my ignorance? Proof exists.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Going to show my lack of knowledge here. While I agree that it is often best to "keep one's mouth shut" (even if I struggle to do so), a DC subway is presumably federal jurisdiction as DC is a fed.gov location and the subway is fed.gov property. As a sworn fed.gov LEO, does the SSA have a duty to "keep the peace" or otherwise intervene in a situation that his training, judgement, and experience says is going to "go south"? While the SSA may never have met this individual, he may have met enough other individuals like him to form a judgement based on his training, judgment, and experience. And that informed his decision on how to proceed.

Wasn't he charged in Maryland? If so, the incident occurred in Maryland and not D.C.

The FBI has the legal authority to investigate any federal crime not specifically assigned to another agency. The FBI has limited authority to enforce state law under very specific circumstances. The only one of those circumstances that might apply here is that of a crime against an interstate traveler if, repeat if, that applies to someone on a train for the purposes of traveling from Maryland into DC.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List