Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI agent arrested in shooting

Serious question. Do you think, depending upon the jurisdiction, that a LE person can still reasonably rely on the law, or are they likely to be thrown under the bus for political reasons?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Serious question. Do you think, depending upon the jurisdiction, that a LE person can still reasonably rely on the law, or are they likely to be thrown under the bus for political reasons?

Who can tell? It's like predicting the weather a few months in advance.

If I were a betting man...

Name:  thrown_under_the_bus1.jpeg
Views: 419
Size:  38.6 KB

Personally, I think they should install these signs in federal LE offices:

Last edited by blues; 06-03-2021 at 05:56 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to explain how things are @TGS as it is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Prosecutors are politian's where I live. They climb the ladder just like Kamala Harris did. If they see an opening they'll take it. They're attorneys using tax dollars to further their political careers.

If this was such a BFD why did it take so long to charge this guy?

Answer, politics.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-03-2021 at 07:55 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    It depends. If receiving benefit of the doubt, then I say probably not. In the deep South and western USA chances are greater unless demographics skew the outcome. Before recent events, I would hear that police department managers would not stick out their necks for their troops.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I think the best way to put it is to ask 'are we supposed to be the attitude police?'

If you think about 'winning' the confrontation, who really won? Sure the bad guy has holes in him, but who's paying the bills?

Actually if you think about it, if the goal was to avoid subsidizing the panhandler, the officer had won when the bad guy turned and began walking away from him - mission accomplished.

If we ask why the bad guy was spewing a stream of invective language as he walked away, the answer could be 'well he's cra cra' or 'he wanted to get a reaction.'

When the officer told the guy to watch his language, he potentially (actually probably) played into this guy's hands by giving him the acknowledgement he wanted.

So who actually won? Who's in deeper shit? Sometimes it's best to let words zing over your shoulder without letting them hit their intended mark.

That is a long ass way to say that if you can ignore the actual words folks say and focus on their meaning in terms of threats to you or others, it is easier to do the police thing. I think.

Making it safely to retirement and avoiding prosecution shouldn't require LEO's (or the regular public) to grant a free pass to everyone engaging in perpetually offensive-to-violent behavior. You've been trained to be a doormat and I understand why, but understanding that doesn't make it okay. It's CYA and you're well versed at the CYA game.

My point is that requiring that attitude of LEO's makes the world a substantially worse place because it has a chilling effect on LEO's and anyone else that gives a shit because they actually have something to lose as a lawful individual, and it emboldens essentially worthless people to keep engaging in worthless/terrible/violent behavior.

Yes, I said worthless. I'm not sorry.

Sure, I may as well be throwing nickels in a fountain because that isn't the way the world works, but I'm getting more and more pissed off to see how folks that actually give a shit about being a decent human being are the ones most diligently and gleefully pushed into the guillotine/meat grinder that is our legal system. It's morally and fundamentally wrong and while the reality of the legal system must be acknowledged if we're going to change anything, it should be seen exactly for what it is - lunacy that is veering totally out of fucking control.

I believe that there are jurisdictions where an officer accused of a crime cannot get a fair trial, based on juror bias. San Francisco and Alameda County are two jurisdictions near me. Hostile, biased prosecutors are one issue, but the more important problem is low-information jurors that have bought the "defund the police" lie lock, stock and barrel. Facts are less important than feelings...

I'm trying to figure out how this SA was supposed to know this aggressive person wasn't someone off his meds looking to put a blade into somebody. How long does it take to pull a blade on someone and use it, a second or less. No weapon in his hand doesn't mean much when an assailant is 2' away. I think the SA told him several times to back away.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

PM inbound.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Making it safely to retirement and avoiding prosecution shouldn't require LEO's (or the regular public) to grant a free pass to everyone engaging in perpetually offensive-to-violent behavior. You've been trained to be a doormat and I understand why, but understanding that doesn't make it okay. It's CYA and you're well versed at the CYA game.

My point is that requiring that attitude of LEO's makes the world a substantially worse place because it has a chilling effect on LEO's and anyone else that gives a shit because they actually have something to lose as a lawful individual, and it emboldens essentially worthless people to keep engaging in worthless/terrible/violent behavior.
    I can understand how you might get that impression, but I think you have the wrong idea, no one needs to be a doormat in order to get the job done.

You can be friendly and nice right up to the moment you take physical steps to effect an arrest and through that process.

In the case we are talking about, we really don't know squat. Per the story/report the panhandler was walking away, with the FBI Agent still unidentified as an officer when the agent reportedly called out for the panhandler to watch his language. If the agent was considering an arrest for disorderly conduct, 'watch your language!' while it seem a reasonable enough statement, isn't necessarily the best way to start the arrest process.

If you are a concerned citizen, merely wanting to ensure a civil society, commanding someone to 'watch their language' most likely isn't going to accomplish the mission, unless you have overwhelming size, or compadres on your side, simply because most people don't like to be told what to do. They unconsciously resent that it places them in a subservient position. As a result dick measuring and escalation can ensue.

A competent police officer uses words, with skill, to accomplish their law enforcement goal.

As far as assholes and crazies, go and the police response, or lack thereof emboldening them, whose fault is that? Why do you think Seattle LEO's don't arrest folks for hollering and shitting in public? That isn't the fault of the police. Not by a long shot.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List