Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are BUIS necessary on a defensive pistol

Is there a significant advantage to not having buis? Especially if they’re at the very bottom of the optic window?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Is it possible for dot to move without change in adjustment screws position?
    I had a Doctor III where the dot would move around.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    Is there a significant advantage to not having buis? Especially if they’re at the very bottom of the optic window?
    Well executed, and by that I mean they stick up the least amount necessary to avoid cluttering the optic lens and they don't cut the crap out of you and your clothing, there are not significant downsides to having BUIS other than cost. I like these.

Name:  09352743-764D-4721-BB7F-0CE1549A310B.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  68BD7196-0F97-43C7-AE01-E1EFF998AEE8.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  D5A389ED-381F-4A07-B2BB-4E5946DF04EA.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  75.2 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Pertinent topic. I have been told that if I dot up a gun I will need to put BUIS on so I can learn where the dot is. I rolled to disbelieve.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Pertinent topic. I have been told that if I dot up a gun I will need to put BUIS on so I can learn where the dot is. I rolled to disbelieve.
    For learning to shoot a red dot pistol, I think there is an advantage to NOT having BUIS, as it forces you to go cold turkey without the training wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Many people advocate using the irons to find the dot when you first start out with an RDS, and honestly this is almost a necessity if your index sucks... It's the fastest way to stop hunting. However, if your index is already on point then you can skip that step and go straight to working on target focus.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For learning to shoot a red dot pistol, I think there is an advantage to NOT having BUIS, as it forces you to go cold turkey without the training wheels.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Many people advocate using the irons to find the dot when you first start out with an RDS, and honestly this is almost a necessity if your index sucks... It's the fastest way to stop hunting. However, if your index is already on point then you can skip that step and go straight to working on target focus.
    Think about that approach. Instead of looking at the exact spot on the target you want to hit, and letting the dot appear over that spot, you look at something on the slide that isn’t even the dot, then find the dot, then find the spot on the target again.

It is hard to shoot a red dot decently without a good index. If you don’t have a decent index, you need to develop a decent index.

It is hard to shoot a red dot decently without a good index. If you don’t have a decent index, you need to develop a decent index.
    In your opinion, is it easier for new shooters to learn irons or dot?

Last match, I watched several new red dot shooters do the red dot shimmy and shake on each target. It was painful. They seemed to have zero guidance on proper use. Plenty of people can't use irons either, so there's that. It was an interesting observation.
    Taking a break from social media.

Think about that approach. Instead of looking at the exact spot on the target you want to hit, and letting the dot appear over that spot, you look at something on the slide that isn’t even the dot, then find the dot, then find the spot on the target again.

I completely agree with you and was merely stating what a lot of people teach, not what I teach. Because I don't teach.
    That being said, if your index is off you can't shoot a dot with any amount of skill or proficiency. So the optimal solution is to fix your index.
    So how do you fix your index? Again, I am not a teacher so I won't try to teach. I will say that I learned to fix my index primarily by checking my irons in dry fire until I had it dialed in. I was brand new to Glocks and went straight into Glock w/ Dot so my shit was pointing high until I relearned my presentation. It only took my a few hours to ingrain the new angle but I don't think it would have been as quick and easy if I was doing it without irons and just hunting around for a dot that wasn't there... Maybe I am wrong but I'll never know now.
    Once I was dialed in I went straight to ignoring the irons to the point that sometimes I forget that they are there as a secondary option... Ooops.

User Tag List