Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Are BUIS necessary on a defensive pistol

If there was a reliable green laser that worked with holsters and had minimal bore offset, it would be perhaps the ideal back up sighting system as it would allow target focus, help when a bad index makes the dot leave the display, while providing redundancy for a lens occluded by debris or cracks.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I don't have your depth of experience with FoF, but I've seen the same thing in the FoF I've done. The same students, who don't look at their sights, often get acceptable hits. This begs the question, do we need red dot sights on defensive pistols?

ETA: Before anyone loses their mind, I like dots. My question was asked in jest. Partially.
    The answer is they may get away with index shooting at their current skill level but would not reach that level without the preceding reps using sights / sighted fire.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If there was a reliable green laser that worked with holsters and had minimal bore offset, it would be perhaps the ideal back up sighting system as it would allow target focus, help when a bad index makes the dot leave the display, while providing redundancy for a lens occluded by debris or cracks.
    Pretty sure you know this, but Streamlight has a single cell light/laser(green)-the TLR8A. The laser is distinctly offset-below the light, bottom of housing. I’m guesstimating about 1.5-2 inches from center of bore to laser emitter.
    I’m at an event that has a speed plate rack in bright sunlight. Tried my backup sights through optic, dot off, no issues, knocked them down. I tried the green laser. I was mildly surprised to see the dot through the glass, and cleaned the plates, seeing the green against the gray(bullet splash)and white paint of the plates.
    I’m thinking now about a monthly session of dot, irons and laser, emphasis on the dot, with 10-20% on the other systems.
    And, of course dry firing same...

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Why do you think is that? I don't have as many years shooting as many here but I found irons failure to be a very rare occurrence, excluding loss of fiber.
    The Glock front sight design sucks. Putting a longer lever, suppressor-height sights, just makes a weak system even worse. Locally, around 50% of cops carry Glocks. Drawing your pistol 2-300 times per day, not in practice, but shooting drills next to other alpha-type dudes who are judging your target and speed with every evolution tends to put a lot of stress on the pistol and the user. Nobody wants to the be the last guy shooting and no one wants their target to look like 12 gauge OO buck at 25 yards, ergo, that perfect technique you've practiced in dry fire for months getting ready for a class you had to take days off to attend, explain to the wife why you're dropping $5-700 AND not taking her away for the weekend, beg the range staff for some rounds, eat the travel/food costs or couch surf, etc. tends to make interesting things happen. Stuff you would never see on a standard range. Mags that have been flawless for thousands of rounds, holsters that have been reliable for years, cobra buckles that are never supposed to fail, fail. You get the idea. To quote the inestimable Oscar Gamble, "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

All because Glock can't admit that their Perfection, isn't, and mill a damn dovetail in the front of the slide.

Site Supporter
    Double tap delete
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Speaking of iron site failures...

Friday I put a new 509t with adaptor on a glock slide milled for an rmr (with suppressor night sites) that I hadn’t shot in a couple of years. I put 100 rds through it on Friday and yesterday I noticed that the front site had worked itself loose.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I've actually had many more RMR failures than iron sight failures. I think with GEN1 RMRs, the failure rate was 100% - not an if, but a when. After they came back from service they were good to go. With GEN2, I've had a much better record but still managed to need the warranty card for two. Trijicon customer service is excellent.

The only iron sight failures I've experienced was when the front sight launched off a Beretta LTT Elite 92G and the rear sight walked off a Springfield 1911. And I mostly shoot Glocks.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

@paherne, that's exactly what I thought. Last time I mentioned Glock front sight being stupid, somebody said it was easy to service or something. I do think that CZ takes a cake as far as dumb front sight designs are concerned, with the dovetail oriented along the axis of a slide. I have lost several but those are on game guns so I don't care. The supp height sights on my Glocks I feel like I can rotate at will, no matter how much loctite I put. I've had a better luck with regular Glock sights but did have one go loose in Ernest's class.

If there was a reliable green laser

I told you the story how I tried to shoot a PCC with one?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Have you ever tried these?

Name:  1B4E4D18-4CF9-444A-9F60-C447C6C244BD.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  20.7 KB

I had one on a G26 when I first started shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Have you ever tried these?

Name:  1B4E4D18-4CF9-444A-9F60-C447C6C244BD.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  20.7 KB

I had one on a G26 when I first started shooting.
    How did it work? I have heard of some zero shift issues with the TLr-8A on a Glock.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List