Thread: Working non-dominant eye with a dot.

Working non-dominant eye with a dot.

So we practice strong hand / weak hand in case of injury…

But what if you had a dominant eye injury as a dot shooter in the middle of a fight?

It never occurred to me to test what might happen.

I think I’ll go to the range and try it with a patched right eye.

Okay, tried it

That was interesting.

For the sake of experimentation, I didn’t do any warm up or anything to prepare.

I just patched my right eye and planned to do a quick draw, follow up shot and transition to two shots at 7 yards.

This is a distance that I’m very comfortable with and feel that I could do on pure index if I had to with this gun.

It was interesting. The left eye vision pulled my index over to the left. I wish I had thought to do it with both eyes open but the dot off. But I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t have been that far left on both shots and targets.

Five years ago, I had a retina tear and blood in my dominant right eye for a month, and my vision switched over to my left eye being dominant. Sometimes in poor light, my dominance still wants to switch to my left eye. If I close either eye, the other eye will work with the dot. A laser is a godsend in conditions where your eye dominance may be ambiguous or impaired.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I guess I am just weird, when I switch hands, I automatically switch eyes. Not saying it is good or bad, but it does happen. I have never actually tried to make myself cross eye dominant though.

Carbines on the support side: switch to the other eye. I find it fairly intuitive, both eyes open or not. With a handgun with iron sights, I find it difficult to shoot through the non-dominant eye without closing my right eye. I've never tried it with a RDS on a handgun, but I bet it's much easier.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

If you traumatically injure one eye, it's going to be hard to keep open the other eye. If you irritate the cornea, the pupil tends to dilate minimize pain from contractions. Thus the other eye will want to dilated too. If it's bright, you will want to squint the other eye. I had iritis from some dirt flying into my eye. It hurt like hell and I could barely see out of either eye. The only scientific way to train for this is to eat some spicy crawfish with your hands and inadvertently rub your dominant eye.

User Tag List