Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Ideal Mix of Carbines. What Are They?

Your Ideal Mix of Carbines. What Are They?

Loose conversation starter. If you have no money restrictions, what’s your ideal mix of carbines and why?

For me, offhand, and keep in mind I don’t compete and this is LARPing fantasy-based for my list:

1) Primary CQB /Urban Combat gun. Somewhere between 10.5” and 14.5” barrel. Unsure on barrel profile. IR/Slaved Vis laser. SF Vampire Scout 6V. Mini-SF silencer. Quad pic rail for durability. In my fantasy there might not be an armorer to fix a bent rail. Aimpoint T2

2) “The Road” TSHTF gun. To be carried during LARPing long-term post zombie world. Not meant to get into fire fights if possible. Kind of like a PDW that could work as a CQB gun if needed. 12.5” lightweight barrel, SF 3V scout Vampire. No lasers. If used with NODs, passive IR only. Geissele MK16 rail for lightness. Aimpoint T2

3) “hush puppy” gun. 300 blackout in 8” barrel with silencer. Light weight 7” MLOK rail. Aimpoint T2. If the LARPing becomes “I’m never coming home” then might take just the upper with me and a handful of preloaded mags. Probably not to carry on foot, but if a vehicle is available.

4) 9mm carbine. For when the 5.56 runs out since I keep 9mm and 5.56 as my main two stockpiles. An MP5 would be great. Seems reliable and heavy. Not looking for this carbine to be super compact and light. It’s meant to be if X period of time into the zombie invasion passed, and the 5.56 is gone, and we have 9mm, then grab this. So it needs to be as reliable and durable as possible. The opposite of modern reality where we want light compact carbines made of polymers to hide in backpacks. Semi-auto SP5 would be fine, too. Wouldn’t be using full auto if ammo limited anyway.

5) DMR gun. 5.56” don’t know much about these maybe 16” to 20” barrel with an LVPO. Can share ammo with others on your fantasy dream team who have M4 type rigs.

6) 308 AR10. Don’t know much about these but maybe a longer-range DMR or to punch cover. Ignorant but if money is not limited, seems good.

This is my list based on LARPing fantasies. For home defense, anything with a red dot is fine. The training is what matters. I don’t compete so no opinion there.

What’s your list look like? If you’re not a filthy LARPer, then discuss your ideal mix based on whatever rationale or purpose you have.

Phased Plasma rifle in the 40 watt range & Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!

Site Supporter
    An arms room with hundreds of identically set up 6920’s with aimpoint, sling, and lights to arm the troops so they can raid and stuff while I’m busy with things like napping and making important philosophical observations about the ability of snails to crawl along the edge of a straight razor.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 05-31-2021 at 07:38 AM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    to arm the troops so they can raid and stuff while I’m busy
    So similar to my plan, my answer for all this gun stuff and ammo stockpiled around here is that after the great collapse, I plan to become a minor despot in this end of the county.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Definitely more than one of these

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Definitely more than one of these

You'll put your- Oh, never mind...
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    An arms room with hundreds of identically set up 6920’s with aimpoint, sling, and lights to arm the troops so they can raid and stuff while I’m busy with things like napping and making important philosophical observations about the ability of snails to crawl along the edge of a straight razor.

No way you could get in a quality nap with the earth shaking violence that is the firing cycle of a 16” carbine gas AR in 5.56. If your troops were even able to withstand shouldering, much less firing such an abusive weapon, their physical appearance would be enough to deter the most grizzled war hardened opponents.

Most of my ideal carbine aspirations start with "Winchester" and end with 1866, 1873, 1886, 1892, 1894, and 1895, then I can transition to Trapdoor Springfields in 50-70 and 45-70, then Sharps. Im also thinking on a franken 1903 Springfield "carbine" built to resemble the Krag carbine with 22" barrel and using a Lyman receiver sight.

The later Winchester 94 carbines in so-called "trapper" type with 16" barrel and wearing a leupold 1-4x scope makes a pretty handy and useful general purpose gun.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-31-2021 at 10:30 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Definitely an 1894/22M Trapper. Something in .44 Magnum.

Maybe a RARR in 7.62 Commie.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

If hunting regulations allow it, then a 9mm submachine gun with a red dot and the ability to accept a suppressor is all I need. Add the suppressor and it's good to go. I know lots of folks are all about that MP5 (for good reason), but I'd prefer a Sterling. Sterling mags are ridiculously reliable and durable and overall it's only slightly more complicated than a shovel to use. The folding stock works fine and allows the whole thing to be folded up into a package more compact than an MP5.

In real life you typically cannot hunt with a machine gun or with a gun chambered in a pistol caliber. So, add in a .300 Blackout rifle/pistol/SBR of some variety and you're pretty much good to go.

User Tag List