Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Ideal Mix of Carbines. What Are They?

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I hate to once again shit in your corn flakes about your upcoming move to WA, but hunting rifles are required to have a 16" barrel and we can't, legally, own full autos.
    Yes, but I'm not going to be living there that long (~3 years).

And I have a Marlin 336 and 20-gauge Mossberg bolt action as hunting guns.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    In beautiful Illinois we can’t have suppressors, and I don’t hunt, so I don’t see the need for anything other than 5.56.

I currently have 9 AR’s but I’d honestly be perfectly fine with my 11.5” BCM, a close enough copy (two is one and all that) and a 16” scoped AR just in case I need a bit more precision. Which, to be honest, I only break out when we’re shooting tannerite.

Site Supporter
    • .357 Lever Gun
    • 12.5” AR-pattern carbine with a decent LPVO and a SF mini-can
    • 16”-18” AR-pattern with a mid-power scope
    • A wine cellar full of Italian and Spanish reds.
    • The cellar is inside the bunker.

Site Supporter
    Put me down for a Ruger No. 3 in some unusual-ish caliber--maybe .250 Savage.

As for ARs, I'd want 11.5, 14.5, and 16 inch guns in 5.56. I would also want a 16 or 18 inch fun in 6mm ARC. All with duplicates.

And while I'm at it, give me a T/C Encore in 6mm ARC too, or maybe 6mm Creedmore. This last carbine would be for the children to step up from their .22 LRs.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Colt 6920
    Steyr .243
    Marlin lever .357
    Marlin lever .22
    Browning lever .22
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

This post reminds me of the kind of stuff some of us used to talk about on the Day By Day zombie apocalypse forum like 18 years ago.

I have a Colt CCU with a 1-8x on it that I consider my do it all gun. It's what I would use if I got back into 3 gun again, or in theory what I would use if the shit really hit the fan. It is my one
    "super-serial" carbine. Everything else I have is for messing around, having fun, or built with specific little bits of things meant for strange competitions. Like my stupid heavy 22LR gun meant for NRL22.

As much as I like 9mm in a pistol I don't see a point for it in a carbine for a true self defense or SHTF scenario. I have some but they are for fun or the PCC div in USPSA. I guess there is some value in using the same magazines and ammo as your side arm but loaded 9mm weighs almost the same as loaded 5.56 so from a weight perspective a Pmag with 30 rounds is going to weight the same as a big stick Glock mag so given the option of having 150 rounds of 556 on me or 150 rounds of 9mm I'll take the 5.56 mm.

Last summer while watching a TFB TV video with Clint Smith where he made some remark about how everyone likes to put tons of shit on their gun but if they had to hump it up a mountain they'd be taking shit off their gun ASAP. That made me think well I wonder how like I can get an AR without getting to super weird potentially fragile parts like alunium BCGs and still make it usable out to 200 yards which is honestly about as far as I'd expect to engage a target if the world ended. If you're past 200 yards I'm going to leave you alone as long as you stay that far away.

So I built a AR with a 16" barrel that weighs 5lbs 5oz with a red dot and back up sights. The only potentially fragile part is the magnesum/aluminium hybrid handguard. Everything else is really solid. If the shit really hit the fan and I had to carry a gun all day this is probably the gun I'd use. Would I like a slightly shorter barrel? Sure for making it kind of handy in close quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Loose conversation starter. If you have no money restrictions, what’s your ideal mix of carbines and why?
    Something like this:

Why?

Why not?

Name:  8F8A69DE-62EA-4906-BC40-AC0065C265E4.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  69.4 KB

Or maybe this:

Name:  36FA27A2-5976-4E20-AA03-4B32779EBF94.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  69.8 KB

Of course, these got the job done quite well in their day……I probably wouldn’t feel “outgunned” with these:

Name:  D87C7CF3-31A7-4B36-954E-C96F48D5FA63.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  79.5 KB
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Giving Back View Post
    Something like this:

Why?

Why not?

Name:  8F8A69DE-62EA-4906-BC40-AC0065C265E4.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  69.4 KB
    I think I’m getting an erection.

Nah, scratch that; I’m pretty sure I just came down my leg.

- -
    For myself, all I need for carbines is the .300 DW PDW I have, a Henry sidegate lever in .44mag, and a ParaFAL.

That, and an ass ton of .22s. I’m GTG except for that ParaFAL. That might take a while. I’d buy a SOCOM Springfield or Tanker, too, so long as we are spending fantasy money, but I don’t *need* a Springer .308.

Waitwaitwaitaminute... I’ve got it: I’d also collect Sako Bavarian Carbines too. Starting with .243 and .308...

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

AR's in 5.56.... I'm good with what I've got, though it looks like I might need to SBR a couple of them that are still pistols as there is no way they are gonna stay under the new point limit....

Name:  ARs.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  48.2 KB
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Waitwaitwaitaminute... I’ve got it: I’d also collect Sako Bavarian Carbines too. Starting with .243 and .308...

Gotta go metric with that one. It's disappointing they don't show 7x57 or 7x64 on the website, but at least have enough self respect to start off with a 6.5x55 Swedish. You can always find a Ruger RSI in 7x57 .275 Rigby, eventually.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List