Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seventies Single Stack (Germ)Mania: Walther P5 & Sig P6

So, a number of years ago, when P6s were common and relatively inexpensive, I found a decent one at a gun show and bought it. Brought it home and Mrs. Shades asks to see my new toy. I handed it to her and after handling it for a few minutes she smiled at me and said, "Thanks, honey." So, I owned a P6 for about three hours. I should have known better, her ancestors are all Germans, both sides of her family. She actually shoots the thing ok. But she's nice enough to share, once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post

Ooh, a roller block P9S; never shot one, wished I could have, as a long-time admirer of H&K's designs.

I still have my original P7M8 (my very first gun purchase ever), bought NIB in 1985 after researching the multiple pistol design options as were then available.

A few months later I got a Sig-Sauer P225 (aka P6), but found it significantly inferior to the P7M8 in accuracy, precision and ergonomics, so traded it toward something else. Owned multiple other Sigs since, including European and American P220s, but didn't end up keeping any of them.

Single stacks aren't "obsolete" by any means, though few are being made anymore, staggered double stack being the modern norm for cartridge-feed systems.

Single stacks work just fine, though aside from the P7M8, all of my single stack pistols are .45 Auto custom 1911A1s.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

The P5 is a fantastic shooter. I carried one for several years and have deep affection as a piece of period excellence.

Ooh, a roller block P9S; never shot one, wished I could have, as a long-time admirer of H&K's designs.
    It’s fun but it feels “dated” in its ergonomics, trigger, recoil, general feel of contraptioneyness. The p7 is still the best shooting pistol in the world in my opinion.

I completely concur on the 225. It is a fine gun but the only reason to select the 225 was if it was way cheaper. It’s just another da/Sa with a mediocre 80s trigger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    The P5 is a fantastic shooter. I carried one for several years and have deep affection as a piece of period excellence.
    Nice. I really like the way it shoots and handles.

Just curious: did you have any issues with the wear on the feed ramp? The finish always seems to come off from what I’ve seen on P1s & P5s. So I’d guess it’s just par for course?

I don’t recall, this would have been the early - mid 90’s in South Africa.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    I don’t recall, this would have been the early - mid 90’s in South Africa.
    Gotcha. Thanks. Well, hopefully it was a non-issue if you don’t remember either way.

User Tag List